Auckland

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Auckland

Postby arts_bandit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:02 am

Hi guys and gals.

As I'm moving there soon can anyone offer any advice or recomended places to eat out and/or shop in Auckland?

thanks in advance.
arts_bandit

Postby tal » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:57 am

i'm going to be stopping over in auckland on my way to samoa but won't be able to stay and enjoy it :(

on a brighter note, Auckland is the city that they film Police Ten 7 in... hahahahahhaa, I'd watch out cos it's apparently got a lot of crime :P </end sarcasm>

just remember if you see a police officer to cry ASSAULT ASSAULT!! lol.. funny new zealand accents...
tal

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:17 am

sorry, not much help as I am in Welly and don't really get to Auckland much.

But there is a yahoo group veganzchat where most of the people are in Auckland, and you can see a general list of veggie and vegan restaurants here:

http://www.vegsoc.org.nz/v2_fdtrav_restaurgd_ni.html#auckland

I do know there is a SAFE shop which apparently has quite a bit of vegan stuff. The main safe sight is here (but doesnt seem to be responding right now):

http://www.safe.org.nz/
Mr. Cleetus

Postby chloe » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 pm

oh there used to be a delicious cafe on k road called verona,.. best vegan muffins and soy flat whites,..but it may not be there anymore, i havnt been in NZ in about five years so im totally out of touch.
where are you moving to? and where from? and why and what will you do there and etcetc.
auckland is/was my hometown.!
chloe

Postby arts_bandit » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:44 am

Don't know where to in the long term yet but getting kicked out of Melbourne/Australia at the end of the month so continuing world travel in NZ/Auckland for the next year or so.

travelling round NZ for a month or so in March but then it will be working in auckland and trying to establish some kind of life there....Melbourne is great for that...ho hum....shitty modern visa situation....
arts_bandit

eating out in Auckland

Postby Deidre B » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:08 am

Hi, I live in Auckland and do a personal vegan guide to the city, its on the internet at:

http://www.aza-n-dee.net/dee/Vegetarian ... ameset.htm

Its a bit in need of an update and many more places exist now, but it gives you options. If you want to go for a really nice dinner out try Soul Bar in the viaduct, they have a vegetarian menu but if you call ahead they will prepare an entirely vegan menu for you - which is great! A good selection of entrees mains etc. They website is: http://www.soulbar.co.nz/

Waggamama and Mexicali are are two additional places that should be added to the guide as both are very vegan friendly, (all Mexical burrito/tacos etc are fine as is their guarcamole, black beans, roast veggie fillings and salsas). There is also a new veggie restaurant called kokako in Parnell http://www.kokako.co.nz/

Told you I needed to update it. Verona on Karangahape Rd central city, is good - the seitan sandwich is good, across the road is Revel which does vegan calzones, veggie stacks, cakes and slices that are vegan. K-rd also have two veggie restaurants, rasoi and a hari krishna place. ANyway, check out the vegan guide, theres a fair bit of choice here :-)
Deidre B

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:12 am

man, you guys got it good!
Mr. Cleetus

Team Vegan event in March in Auckland!

Postby Deidre B » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:14 am

Just noticed you will be in Auckland in March! A group of us "Team Vegan" are participating in the annual Round the Bays 8.4km fun run, it usually attracts over 70,000 people.

We have registered a team, you would be welcome to join us if running (or walking - it is a fun run and lots just walk it)

We are a big 30 member strong team and growing daily, it costs $15 to register officially for the run as a Team Vegan participant, and if you wanted to run in our spunky "team vegan" club uniform, the running singlets and tops are probably going to be round $25 NZ. SAFE our national animal rights group is even sponsoring an end of run vegan BBQ of for Team Vegan participants.

Fellow vegan runners in Auckland are encouraged to join us! The bigger the team the better :-)

My email is: deidre.bourke@gmail.com if you have any q's

Cheers
Deidre B

team vegan

Postby Deidre B » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:17 am

Doh sorry - my last email promise, forgot to say in my last email that Round the Bays run is Sunday 16 March

Go Team Vegan !! :-)
Deidre B

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews