Hawaii

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Hawaii

Postby vegangurl23 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:55 pm

just out of curiousity... how many people are from Hawaii?
vegangurl23

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:22 am

Looks like you're one of seven.
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=location&order=ASC&start=2490

However, there could be several more as many people list their location as Town, Country, so "Hawaii" won't appear alphabetically.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby sonnyd7 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:01 am

thought i was the only one, welcome to VF!
Surfing is the art of dancing with the ocean
sonnyd7

Postby bronco » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:59 am

I moved this thread to the correct subforum :) .
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby ^toby^ » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:50 am

what is it like being vegan in Hawaii?
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby vegangurl23 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:49 am

hey... um its actually quite easy. :) the only thing is that there are people who can be a little bit defensive (as there are people like this everywhere) but so far the people i live with are supportive of my decisions and the people i work with don't give me a hard time for it so thats all that matters. its just certain people i meet here and there that are very had to deal with because they don't agree with my decisions.

i think when i lived in korea though it was more difficult.
"even though there is no such thing as perfect, there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it"
vegangurl23

Postby sonnyd7 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:12 pm

yeah being vegan isn't hard in hawaii. there's a bunch of down to earth stores located around the island, and there's always country cafe and well bento when you feel like eating out ;)
sonnyd7

Postby vegangurl23 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:32 am

oh wow i've never been to country cafe. i rarely eat out actually. i tend to cook my own or just go to this place in waikiki called "maries" because they have awesome vegan spinach wraps there which are so addicting haha.

i also like certain thai and vietnamese foods, but i always make sure they don't add things i can't eat. they normally are really nice about it too :)
"even though there is no such thing as perfect, there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it"
vegangurl23

Postby sonnyd7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:43 am

country cafe isn't a vegan restaurant, but they have many vegan dishes. It's basically a restaurant for the more health-conscious. I personally like the well bento the best. They are a little pricey but the quality of ingredients they use is well worth it :D

only downside of the well bento, imo, is the fact that they are purely takeout and there's no option to dine in. but it's all good.

i'll check out marie's sometime, i've never been there. but i do like spinach rolls
sonnyd7

Postby vegangurl23 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:31 am

yah its right on beachwalk in waikiki. really really nice place. just gotta substitute the spinach wrap dip for salsa and its vegan :)

where is the country cafe?
vegangurl23

Postby sonnyd7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:14 pm

It's on Pi'ikoi street, on the west side of Ala Moana Shopping center, easy to find.

This might help you find it, check it out sometime :)
sonnyd7

Postby vegangurl23 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 pm

wow i should check it out :) thanks! any other suggestions?
vegangurl23

Postby sonnyd7 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 am

Well Bento is probably my favorite place to eat when I'm too lazy to cook. Their grilled seitan is the best =) They're primarily a health food/vegan restaurant (though they sell some meat entrees i guess for better business since there are considerably less vegetarians/vegans out there) that is very popular with the health-conscious university students. Their menu is a little expensive but they use top notch ingredients.

http://www.wellbento.com/

Bale's also has some good vegetarian sandwiches/curry if you're in the mood for that. There's a bunch of those around the island, but the one I go to a lot is the one on the university campus. Tofu sandwiches on wheat bread with a splash of shoyu are good and pretty filling, for only $3.50 ;)

India cafe is also really good if you're into Indian curry. Try out their spicy eggplant if you like *really* spicy. None of the curry they use contain dairy, so no worries for vegans ordering their 'vegetarian' dishes. My favorites from here are the spicy tofu sambal and spicy eggplant. Be warned though, the eggplant is VERY spicy. Shouldn't be a problem for you though, since you did mention you liked thai food.

http://www.indiacafehawaii.com/
sonnyd7

Postby loveliberate » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:14 am

In an unexpected turn of events, it looks like I'll be visiting Honolulu for a few days later this year! :shock:

I'd love to meet up with cool locals (or folks visiting at the same time as me) or at least get your suggestions on what to do with my time on your island! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Solardrive » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:01 am

I stayed with a Vegan friend of mine on Oahu recently and I loved the selection of Vegan produce that they have on the island. Well Bento is the shit. The Cajun Seitan was pretty tasty and cheap.
Solardrive

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews