Brighton

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby Ambi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:37 am

Infinity Foods has lots of vegan groceries and things, and between Taj and Bill's you've got lots of interesting foodstuffs.
Ambi

Postby dizzy3 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:01 am

what about vegan cosmetics and cleaning things? is there a good range of those?
dizzy3

Postby Ambi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Yeah, Infinity has them.
Ambi

Postby dizzy3 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:48 pm

what about alpro soya and provamel products? i love some of their stuff.
dizzy3

Postby Ambi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Yeah. Aren't they available everywhere?

Maybe you should visit Brighton and have a look around for yourself.
Ambi

Postby dizzy3 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:20 pm

i intent to :D i'll probably be there at the end of february.
dizzy3

Postby dizzy3 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:00 pm

i found this ''article'' on brighton, the author makes it sound like it's a real shithole :( . any truth to it or is it just made up?

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.php? ... nt&sid=541
dizzy3

Postby WhenDanSaysJump » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:26 pm

No, Worthing's the shithole. Brighton's alright.
WhenDanSaysJump

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:52 pm

That website is absolutely horrible. Is a 'shithole' somewhere that poor people live? What an utter, snobby scum bucket that writer is. Brighton's better off if that retard avoids the place!
Hiking Fox

Postby dizzy3 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:01 am

[quote="Hiking Fox"]That website is absolutely horrible. Is a 'shithole' somewhere that poor people live? What an utter, snobby scum bucket that writer is. Brighton's better off if that retard avoids the place!

i'm not saying i like that site ( an english guy who has a passionate hate for chavs sent me the link) but where does the author say it's a shithole because of poor people? he mentions junkies/drug related crime, teenage prostitutes, thieves, very rich london playboys, paedophiles, thatcherites, gay bashers, gang fighting in the streets, homeless alcoholics inhabiting ''any open grassy area in Brighton''.

and btw how would poor people live in Brighton anyway? isn't it like the 3rd most expensive place in the world? :oops:
dizzy3

Postby Ambi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Oh all right, I'll read it...

[quote="dizzy3"]he mentions junkies/drug related crime

I've already covered this one. Yes, we have a bunch of junkies. The girl I mentioned who gave them shopping lists is the only reference I've heard to drug-related crime in my six years here.

[quote]teenage prostitutes

Well, he didn't specify if they were doing it for money or not. If it makes you feel better, there's no street prostitution scene in Brighton (or any of Sussex, last I heard). Street workers pop up now and then, but the police's policy of tolerating well-run brothels and cracking down on street work means that it goes on almost entirely indoors.

[quote]thieves

The only person I know who lives in fear of being mugged is my sister, it happened to her in Canterbury.

[quote]very rich london playboys

This has been covered already in this thread. Don't move to a trendy town near London if you can't stand them.

[quote]paedophiles, thatcherites

Singular. He said he'd met one of each.

[quote]gay bashers

There was, as I said, a serious gay-bashing problem a few years ago due to the gay village and the worst council estate being right next to each other. To the best of my knowledge this has been tackled.

[quote]gang fighting in the streets

Most people will tell you to stay away from West Street at night. I haven't had any problems when I've left the cinema there near midnight, but it's pretty rowdy.

[quote]homeless alcoholics inhabiting ''any open grassy area in Brighton''

Yeah, we have a lot of homeless people. When I worked in a day centre I was told that Birmingham, Bournmouth and Brighton was the circuit they tended to do. They used to come here because the services were great, but now they're horrendously overstretched. They do hang around in grassy areas when the weather's nice and a lot of them drink. My experience is that almost all of them mind their own business, and the ones that don't are mostly pretty nice.

[quote]and btw how would poor people live in Brighton anyway? isn't it like the 3rd most expensive place in the world? :oops:

Nah, London, Copenhagen and Tokyo are definitely all more expensive.

Brighton is popular with gay people, clubbers, playboys, students (domestic and foreign), hippies, goths, homeless people and oddballs. There's a lot here, some people don't like it just like any other place, but I like it because as a geeky vegan prostitute I can be myself here.
Ambi

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm

[quote="dizzy3"]
i'm not saying i like that site ( an english guy who has a passionate hate for chavs sent me the link) but where does the author say it's a shithole because of poor people? he mentions junkies/drug related crime, teenage prostitutes, thieves, very rich london playboys, paedophiles, thatcherites, gay bashers, gang fighting in the streets, homeless alcoholics inhabiting ''any open grassy area in Brighton''.

Every city has all of those, and why does the writer feel so superior that he can deride teenagers who feel desperate enough to be prostitutes, or homeless people who turn to drink? What a human-hating snob of an idiot. I'm not having a go at you - I'm having a go at that site.

I'm concerned, however, by your use of the word 'chavs'. Would you use the word 'niggers' so liberally? 'Chav' is always a put down, it isn't a playful word. It is a way that comfortably well-off, educated people can take the piss out of those less privileged, and it creates the kind of social divide that we should all be challenging.

Basically, when I hear someone use the word 'chav', it disgusts and saddens me.
Hiking Fox

Postby dizzy3 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 pm

i don't really know what chav means and i didn't know it was used as an insult. the english guy i mentioned earlier(who gave me that link) told me about it a few months ago. from what he said they're an UK phenomenon, white kids who try to act like ''black american gangstas'', dress and speak a certain way (he showed me a video and even though i consider my english to be tip-top i'm not even sure i understood a single word). this guy is neither educated or rich, fwiw.

EDIT: lol i just saw you're from manc, he's from there too. from what he's told me he pretty much sees manc as the asshole of england. i haven't been there myself and i couldn't say but i remember getting a ''godam'' reaction looking at upmystreet manc crime stats, i think each stat was way off the chart .
dizzy3

Postby dizzy3 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 pm

[quote="Ambi"]... but I like it because as a geeky vegan prostitute I can be myself here.

dizzy3

Postby Ambi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Cute kitten. What's the problem? I'm not a teenager...
Ambi

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews