Brighton

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby dizzy3 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 pm

[quote="Ambi"]Cute kitten. What's the problem? I'm not a teenager...

no problem, i just like posting that pic :D
dizzy3

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:11 pm

[quote="dizzy3"]i don't really know what chav means and i didn't know it was used as an insult. the english guy i mentioned earlier(who gave me that link) told me about it a few months ago. from what he said they're an UK phenomenon, white kids who try to act like ''black american gangstas'', dress and speak a certain way (he showed me a video and even though i consider my english to be tip-top i'm not even sure i understood a single word). this guy is neither educated or rich, fwiw.

EDIT: lol i just saw you're from manc, he's from there too. from what he's told me he pretty much sees manc as the asshole of england. i haven't been there myself and i couldn't say but i remember getting a ''godam'' reaction looking at upmystreet manc crime stats, i think each stat was way off the chart .

No, 'chav' is always in insult. It is interchangable with the word 'common'. I can see, from this discription, why you didn't think it was. Fair enough.

Manchester is a large and varied city. with lots of old buildings, new buildings, parks, canals etc. I live in a part with lots of derelict buildings and street crime, but it is also full of history and community. There are cafes down the road from me where I can go and get a snack or a brew, and the owner will recognise me and have a chat. As far as I'm concerned, if I can have that sese of neighbourhood in a city centre, it is an ok place. I also like the way that I can get a wide range of tasty food from all sorts of cultures all round the world, that's vegan.

If your friend thinks Manchester is an 'arsehole', he should move away and leave the city for people who will appreciate it. Either that or shut up and do some volunteering for a charity or community group who are trying to improve life here.
Hiking Fox

Postby dizzy3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm

first of all he's not my friend, just some guy i met online through a forum and i tried to help him with info about something. he wants to escape england , he thinks it's awful because of the high living costs and climate.... oh and ''chavs'' too, he hates them with a passion and used to get into fights with them . i understand what you meant earlier but trust me he's not exactly high society(broke gambling degenerate doing odd jobs for a living) yet for some reason he still looks down on these people. i don't really talk to him anymore and i don't consider him a friend.
dizzy3

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:58 pm

[quote="dizzy3"]i understand what you meant earlier but trust me he's not exactly high society(broke gambling degenerate doing odd jobs for a living) yet for some reason he still looks down on these people. i don't really talk to him anymore and i don't consider him a friend.

Sounds like he's struggling with his own self image! A bit like a woman I know who goes on about how much she hates 'fat people', but she's got a bit of a belly herself!

Anyway, on the subject of Brighton, I think it is the kind of place you could either grow to love or hate. I'm fond of the place, but I couldn't live there. It is by the sea, it's full of characters, it has loads of little cafes and vegan food... but most fun things are sooo expensive and the train takes ages to get anywhere. All you can do is explore and see if you feel at home there.
Hiking Fox

Postby dizzy3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]

Anyway, on the subject of Brighton, I think it is the kind of place you could either grow to love or hate. I'm fond of the place, but I couldn't live there. It is by the sea, it's full of characters, it has loads of little cafes and vegan food... but most fun things are sooo expensive and the train takes ages to get anywhere. All you can do is explore and see if you feel at home there.

what about other uk cities or towns? i've been looking at many but it's hard to find one that is good for vegans and has little violence/crime (weather being an issue too but that's a problem for the entire country, the south seems to be a little better afaik - i remember that i liked edinburgh but when i saw the average temp in july...). could you recommend a town that fits that description? i've been looking at york, looks like a nice quiet place and much cheaper than brighton but it doesn't seem too vegan friendly. :(
dizzy3

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:30 pm

What country are you based in now?

What is your budget?

What do you mean by 'crime'? All towns and cities in Britain have lots of crime, but it is perfectly possible to live for years in one without having any issues yourself. I've walked around really dodgy parts of London, Liverpool, Nottingham and Manchester at 2am loads of times and have never been mugged or attacked in any way. You just have to be sensible - stick to places where you can run if need be, don't carry money in a bag, lock your doors and windows etc.

If you want to live in an area with hardly any crime, you'll have to live in a little village somewhere with no cinema, hardly any culture, no students, no nice cafes and only supermarkets to buy vegan food in.
Hiking Fox

Postby dizzy3 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:41 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]What country are you based in now?
i'm romanian but currently renting in vienna.

What is your budget?
if you mean for renting i guess under 1300 pounds/mo, maybe more if i really like it. if you mean living costs the uk doesn't really scare me, not even london.

What do you mean by 'crime'?
gun and drugs related crimes, frequent street violence, mugging, burglaries, car theft... i guess it doesn't bother me if it only happens in certain areas of a city and mostly at night. i'm talking about the general ''feel'' of a city and if the nicer areas are safe .
dizzy3

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 pm

In that case, I would avoid London.

Your budget is quite high, so you should be quite free to pick and choose where you want to live.

Maybe you should consider an area with a very multicultural population, so you will feel more at ease as an immigrant, and meet people with a similar background. Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds could be a good choice. All three have a reputation for being a bit 'rough', but they are not, really. Leeds has a massive green area in the middle and lots of allotments and wholefood places, Manchester has loads going on, and has some quite 'alternative' areas with lots of character (plus it is extremely easy to get vegan food in cafes etc.), and Birmingham is changing rapidly, with lots more vegan-friendly places opening, and the Vegan Society itself now has an office there.
Hiking Fox

Postby dizzy3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:55 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]
Maybe you should consider an area with a very multicultural population, so you will feel more at ease as an immigrant, and meet people with a similar background.

i'm not sure what you mean but i would feel more at home among english/european/white culture than in the middle of muslims/asians/jamaicans . i'm very much into british culture ( anything from history, literature and the premiership to 80's music and TV shows ) plus i'm ''very'' white and i look a lot more english than say indian(though i prob look more french/italian than wasp-ish ). as for asian cultures islam is on the bottom of my list but i like hindus/buddhists and the friendlier types, though i'm not sure i'd feel ''at home'' around them either.

btw this is my idea of the ''english working class lads'' so maybe muslims would be better after all :lol: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx49T5WJ3vI

what's the architecture like in those city? do they look very industrial, are they very polluted , is there very little culture and history? and what can you tell me about Leicester? it seems to have so many veggie restaurants(because of the huge indian population). also what the weather like in these cities? i assume the ''upper'' you go the worse it gets.
dizzy3

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews