Melbourne vegan news-food, restaurants etc

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby arts_bandit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:26 am

MBV already mentioned Vue Du Monde so I don't feel like such a ponce now for mentioning that Ezard does a rather nifty 8 Course Vegan Tasting Menu for $110 ;)

It's definately a special occasion kind of a joint but worth it for the experience. I was slightly disappointed with the dessert, (you can't eat the massive platter they do), but the service is crazy good, and there are some very interesting Asian inspired flavours.

On a more earthly note Shakahari is always good for a nice, smartish dinner and the Vegie Bar and Soul Mama in Smith St. get the big-up from me.
arts_bandit

Postby mangomagic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:33 am

arts_banditart, apart from dessert is it worth it?

I have been searching for a vegan tasting menu for ever, just for special occasions since I'm poor. Although I'm not sure I can justify spending so much on one meal when I normally spend under $15 when I eat out. But it is so great that somewhere is doing it!

I love Shakahari too!
mangomagic

Postby arts_bandit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:16 am

Hmmm - thats a difficult question mango as I guess its relative to your income. You say you are poor, and I wouldn't class myself as particularily well-off, (backpacking it @ the moment), but it is definately worth it for the whole package.

I'm not sure food is ever really worth that sort of money but for a special occasion it can't really be beaten. The atmosphere and service are really good - they explain what every course, (and matching wine), consists of and generally swan around like its a 5 star joint.

If you didn't drink alcohol then it would work out at about $150 per head with a couple of bottles of water and service. We were there 5 hours so it was definately worth it!! (You're looking @ about $250 if you go for the matching wines - not vegan - with the tasting menu)

I also looked at Pearl in Richmond that has a vegan menu. Bit more limited in range but also gets good reviews for top-quality food.
arts_bandit

Postby mangomagic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:00 am

Ohh that looks nice too! If only I knew about these places about 6 months ago when my foodie in laws where in town.

How did you find out that they serve vegan meals?
mangomagic

Postby arts_bandit » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:25 am

I started out googling with the usual words but that produced the usual results - Shakahari, Vege Cafe, Soul Food, Soul Mama, Gopals, Lentil as Anything etc. - and the kind of places that you can find on Happy Cow or any health food/veggo sites.

Not to diss these places, (as I think they are great), but I was looking for something a bit swankier so went to the Age guide and basically trawled through all the 3/2 hat restaurant reviews and the associated websites, et voila....

Bit of a pain but got what I wanted in the end. From what I remember I think Vue Du Monde and Princes will do vegan stuff on request but Ezard and Pearl were the only ones to have menus/courses ready-to-go - i.e you don't have to give them advance notice
arts_bandit

Postby mangomagic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:37 am

Rishon Foods (23 William St Balaclava) sells viennetta style vegan ice cream cakes and lots of other yummy vegan food products!

the ice cream cake is the greatest!!!!!!! :D
mangomagic

Postby mangomagic » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:45 am

sweet williams now make white choc blocks and it rocks!

I found it at safeway.
mangomagic

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews