Melbourne vegan news-food, restaurants etc

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Melbourne vegan news-food, restaurants etc

Postby mangomagic » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:16 am

I am not sure if this is appropriate since it is not travel, but it may be handy for people travelling to Melb as well as all the Melbournians.

There appears to be quite a few on this forum residing in Melbourne, so I thought we could share news in relation to restaurants opening and closing or even new products around Melbourne, or places to get vegan food where you would least expect it.

For example, I remember Hannibal talking about a new Italian veg restaurant opening in Brunswick:http://www.vege2go.com.au We could share those type of details here.

If this is the wrong place please let me know.
mangomagic

Postby mangomagic » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am

I read on another forum that there are vegan crepes and Italian donuts at red hill market.

I ventured down to red hill today and tried both and they were both yummy. The Italian donuts are like jam donuts that you can get at the vic market minus the jam. The sign at the Italian donut stall actually says vegan on it. The guy said he also sells them at the Flemington and a few other craft markets.

You would never have guessed that the crepes can be made vegan. All of the options are veg but all with cheese. Having heard they are vegan minus the cheese I decided to ask and he explained that crepes have no dairy or eggs they are also gluten free too. So I decided to have some minus the cheese so he added in extra rocket, avocado and olives to the capsicum one. They are basically like dosas. Very yummy!

There was supposed to be a stall selling vegan cakes there too but I didn't see it. But there was also vegan corn fritters/burgers, frozen mango, freshly made lemonade and lots of other gourmet foods. Well worth the trip especially if you stop at the beach, wineries, brewery etc on the way home.
mangomagic

Postby tal » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:46 pm

where is red hill market?
tal

Postby mangomagic » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 pm

red hill which is a part of the Mornington Peninsula, it is very close to arthurs seat.
mangomagic

Postby mangomagic » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:47 pm

I heard that you can get vegan ice cream cake in Melb, anyone know where? :D
mangomagic

Postby ^toby^ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:49 am

when is the new restaurant open? I live in brunswick!
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby ^toby^ » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:56 am

11th Feb according to the website.

I might go on the opening night since I'm so close.
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby mangomagic » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:08 am

Sounds good MBV

I thought there were lots of Melbourne vegans on here, where are they all hiding???

Anyway I have more finds:

the east brunswick club is doing vegan parma. How cool is that? I can't remember the last time I had a parma. They also have hotdog night on Mon and do a vegan hotdog too. I think it's important to support non veg restaurants doing such great vegan options so that they keep it up.
mangomagic

Postby tal » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 am

i'm still here :)

invita, on hardware st, was bought out by new people, and its not all veg anymore, BUT they have kept the best vegan dishes that invita used to sell... which when all things are considered, is mighty fine of them

we have to have a melbourne meet...
tal

Postby mangomagic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:34 am

Thanks for contributing again Talyn!

That sucks about Invita. What about the vic market one? I often go there when I'm doing my weekly shopping.

Meetup sounds like fun, how many Melbournians are there on here?
mangomagic

Postby tal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:29 am

now that invita is gone its not really a problem for me
i work on the corner of collins/exhibition, so i can walk to either gopals, wagamama, organic food/wine deli or that other place in the centre just off flinders lane.. i'm spoiled for choice :)
tal

Postby ^toby^ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:31 am

And also Flinder's Organic.
they sell the Crumbs Bakehouse vegan muffin for $3.50
The pies in Organic Deli is divine!

what's good vegan choice in wagamama?

My sister went to Vue De Monde, she said they can arrange vegan meal too.
5 courses dinner for vegan (drumrolls) is..... $150. My friend said you can't ask a French chef to cook vegan...haha
^toby^

Postby tal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:46 am

flinders organic? i will have to check that out.. thanks!

organic deli pies.. i know! how good are they!! also i love their vegan curries they have like 3 different types and also i buy tofu bolog from there as well

the good vegan choice (and also the only vegan choice) at wagamama is the yasai cha han (sp????)... i dunno exactly what its called... its number #78. just make sure to ask for no egg... apart from the egg its vegan, and its brilliant!!! you also get miso soup and pickles as well.. its very very good
tal

Postby ^toby^ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:46 am

I used to call Organic Deli and ask the girls to put the pie under the grill 5mins before I arrived (cos I don't eat microwaved stuff). And they've become my best friends :D

re wagamama... Oh really? they don't use fish sauce and dried fish chips?

In other news, I had Vegan Parma at East Brunswick Club for tea tonight. The size is big enuff for me. Vegan Cheese! with a rather bland salad (like the one in vegie bar) and chips on the side. $17 a pop.

I had the Bohemian tap beer with it.
^toby^

Postby tal » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 am

doesn't taste like they do.
if you check www.wagamana.com it lists it under the vegan choices, there are a few others too, but i'm a sucker for rice/tofu

i like the pies from the deli too, but i just eat them cold :)
tal

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews