I'm going to Mumbai - anyone been there?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

I'm going to Mumbai - anyone been there?

Postby Rubber_Ritchie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:53 pm

Hey dudes,

Has anyone been to Mumbai? I am going there for a couple of weeks. I am performing at an event there next week and will stay for 2 weeks as a tourist after. Can you reccomend any places to visit or nearby cities I should check out.

Thanks so much,
Ritchie
Rubber Ritchie - Balloon artist/balloon modeller
Rubber_Ritchie

Postby The Duke » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:10 pm

I've been to Mumbai.

Spend on evening on Chowpatty beach and get a head massage.

Take the boat to Elephant Island from india gate on a sunday.

Eat anywhere but watch out for milk and yoghurt.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby girdhar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:15 am

Hi,
I am from India and well familiar with Mumbai and had been their for six month.
It great place but with little bit crowd and helpful people.
Choupaty, dargah and nearby city Pune is also rich in natural beauty.
You are welcome to Bombay
girdhar

Postby RAZ » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:31 am

Been there twice.
It's a big city and is much more westernized than most of India. Despite that fact you should still prepare yourself for a culture shock. There are just so many people and such huge extremes. When I was last there the statistics for homeless people were 8 million homeless in a city of 16 million. Be prepared to be heart broken.
If you want to experience this and meet some of the people living in the extreme poverty then I recomend jumping on a train out to Bhandra. This is often thought of as the rich area of Mumbai, but it depends on which side of the tracks you chose to wander on. It's pretty obvious which is which as you roll in to the station. One side is slums, the other apartment buildings. I only advise doing this if you are sure you can handle it. The magnitude of it is a lot to take in.
We got up to heaps of stuff there and loved the place, but I think that telling too much would to some degree spoil your adventure. I'd say go there and speak to people, take their advice and see where you end up. :D
Have fun!
"Drink some concrete and harden up"
RAZ

Postby Tarz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Not Mumbai, but I was in Goa nearly two year's ago.

It's true what they say about the food - eat only cooked produce.

I got a rather nasty bout of food poisoning which knocked me for six and buggered my training up for weeks. Whilst waiting for my test results from my GP I was informed I could of had a bug/parasite which I could of never shifted - knackering my digestive system up for life - I hadn't, but it could of been much worse.
Tarz

Postby Rubber_Ritchie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks guys. Sorry to hear that Tarz. I'll avoid salads. I think I'll be only in Mumbai for a couple of days. Reading a travel book it sounds pretty horrible in many ways. They said a day breathing the air is like smoking two packs of cigarettes. I think I'll go to Goa and just smoke two packs of cigarettes. I'm off to the airport now. I'll check this in a day or two. Any tips for Goa? Places to see?

Thanks x
Rubber_Ritchie

Postby Tarz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Sorry Ritchie, I never checked back....

I only visited northern Goa. Avoid the drag of Candolim, Calangute and Baga and hung out more around Anjuna – Vagator – Chapora; where the hippies have all now moved to after the development around Calangute. It’s a better area around Anjuna despite it being full of twats ‘discovering themselves’. Vagator was my favourite beach. Careful swimming around Calungute – the currents are dangerous.

The hawkers are something else yeah? Did you have any of the ‘Wax Ear’ men come up to you?

For eating around there Blue Toa, Magic Little Soya Bean and Bean Me Up ( closed when I was there ).

I would of recommended a visit to the Dudhsagr falls, Old Goa, and also Fort Aguada and Fort Chapora.

Obviously the yoga places.

The night market is good, but you need to go to the right – original – one. You must of made it to the flea market?

Maybe a trance party too. The police have clamped down coz of all the drugs, but there’s still a few – authentic - parties in the hills n woods. Not my cup of tea – not hard enough – but obviously Goa is still very famous for its trance. The scene’s nothin to what it was apparently. There’s some club in Anjuna now for all the trance. Nowt special, though interesting enough when the French navy’s in town and making the most of it’s shore leave.

Did you make it to any of these places? Anything ring any bells?

I notice from elsewhere that avoiding salads didn’t work….
Tarz

Postby Rubber_Ritchie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey Tarz,

Thanks for the advice although a bit late, I got back 2 days ago :lol: I spent 2 days in hell...I mean Mumbai and then headed to Goa. I had no plan, had read no travel books, etc. A guy I met a guy who was heading to Anjuna so I got in a taxi with him. I was there for a few days. I had some good times but there were too many druggies there. I went to a few of the parties but I am not much of a party guy especially when the music is trance, my least favourite music in the world.

I then headed to Palolim and spent the rest of the time there. Yes, I had the ear wax guys trying it on. I almost punched one on the first day in Anjuna. Basically, these guys come and pretend you have something on your head, or in your ear. They then do something in your ear and before you know what's happened they are demanding a lot of money for pulling a big piece of 'wax' out of your ear. It's a piece of gee they are carrying around...so it's not even vegan!
Rubber_Ritchie

Postby Rubber_Ritchie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:46 pm

I found a great organic veggie restaurant in Palolim that was full of English people called Blue Planet. I ate there 2 or 3 times a day.
Rubber_Ritchie

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews