Food review - Bryn Tyrch Hotel, Snowdonia

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Food review - Bryn Tyrch Hotel, Snowdonia

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:10 pm

Recent update: When reading the review below, please ensure that you also read the following discussion, as there have been positive developments on this. :D

Now I've got some spare money (yay!) I've been eating out more, and thought I'd share some recent experiences:

Bryn Tyrch Hotel, Capel Curig, Gwynedd, Snowdonia National Park (on the A5 road).

This pub has been doing loads of veggie food for ages, but I have never been in the area long enough to call in for a meal. Well, not since around 1992, and I reckon it's a fair bet the chef has changed since then!

The menu had about 10 main meal options, and of these about 6 were veggie and about 3 were vegan. A good sign! The two soups also sounded vegan, and the apple crumble was labelled as such.

Unfortunately, the prices are restaurant style, with the main meals all costing around £10, we decided to stick with just the main course and see how we got on.

I ordered the 'stir fry with cashew nuts', and AndyO had the 'vegetable curry'.

The portions were disappointingly small, and what was worse was that the food was mostly bland carbohydrate - the curry came on an excessive mound of rice, and my stir fry was mostly a solid heap of rice noodles. There were about 2 mushrooms, 2 baby sweetcorn and a handful of slices of pepper in my stir fry - that was pretty much it! We would have struggled to eat all the noodles and rice even with twice as much veg. At least they didn't skimp on the cashew nuts.

Unfortunately, the put a garnish of peanuts on my food, even though this wasn't mentioned on the menu.

We left disappointed, and I noticed that in a packed place in early evening, we were the only ones eating. The beer we had was great though, and there was a friendly atmosphere.

So our verdict was - nice one for providing so many vegan options in a cosy and atmospheric pub with lovely views, but the food is a complete rip off. They have to try much harder than this if they want people to eat there more than once!
Last edited by Hiking Fox on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiking Fox

Re Bryn Tyrch Hotel

Postby rachel roberts » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi I read with interest your review of the bryn and as the owner we have taken on board your comments. I am sorry you did not feel that our dishes were value for money but would like in fairness to add these comments

You said that portions were small - they should not have been The noodle dish you refer to has been withdrawn as it was being trialled in November However the dish should of had a high propertion of vegetables and should of been mixed in with the noodles You make no detailes comments about the vegetable curry but has proved very popular it should of been served out with mint raita mango chutney and poppadom or lime pickle

I am saddened that you did not feel able to broach the subject of your dinner to any member of staff as we our always keen to hear what our customers have to say to us good or bad.
We would of been happy to change your dish or provided an alternative as is our house policy regardless of the right and wrongs and you say that the service was friendly so hopefully you felt you could of approached someone indeed our staff our normally trained to ask.

You refer to the cost being expensive but we strive to pay our staff good rates of pay and use high quality ingridents all of which adds to cost and a pizza hut deep pan is more expensive than our some of our veggie main courses and we have taken significant increases in food especially vegetables and oil over the past twelve months

The carboydrate content was put in as this was recommended to us because the vast majority of our clients our walkers and climbers and that was what they requested on feedback info A range of vegan lighter dishes are available but we would be happy to hear any thoughts of what you think might be more appropiate

We are currently revamping our menus for the next season and would love to hear your feedback to this reply so we can include it and I lay down a challange work with outposts like ourselves who try to be inclusive to all lifestyles and remain in profit and will invite you back for a free meal and your feedback

kind regards

Having sa
rachel roberts

Re: Re Bryn Tyrch Hotel

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:27 pm

[quote="rachel roberts"]Hi I read with interest your review of the bryn and as the owner we have taken on board your comments.

Thanks.

[quote]You said that portions were small - they should not have been The noodle dish you refer to has been withdrawn as it was being trialled in November However the dish should of had a high propertion of vegetables and should of been mixed in with the noodles

The noodles came in a solid mound, all stuck together. I had to slice bits off with a knife! I was genuinely astonished at the lack of vegetables. I've eaten all sorts of cheap and expensive stir frys at all sorts of places, and I can honestly say that this was the smallest portion of vegetables I have ever had in a stir fry.

[quote]You make no detailes comments about the vegetable curry but has proved very popular it should of been served out with mint raita mango chutney and poppadom or lime pickle

The curry itself was ok, but the proportion of curry to rice was not satisfactory. My partner mixed the curry in with the rice as much as he could, but he still ended up with loads of dry rice left over at the end. We have had cheap quality £2.50 curries from places before now that have been more generous. We did get a popadom and some chutney. No riata - I assume that wasn't vegan. If it was, it wasn't offered.

[quote]I am saddened that you did not feel able to broach the subject of your dinner to any member of staff as we our always keen to hear what our customers have to say to us good or bad.

When I asked whether the nuts used to garnish the stir fry were peanuts, the woman serving us didn't speak enough English to answer my question. She went back to the kitchen and fetched some of the whole nuts to show us, as she didn't know what I meant by 'peanuts'. We did not therefore feel comfortable complaining, as we didn't feel we would be understood. Anyway, the onus should surely be on the venue to serve food of an appropriate quality to match the price and menu description, not on the customers to actively complain?

[quote]We would of been happy to change your dish or provided an alternative as is our house policy regardless of the right and wrongs and you say that the service was friendly so hopefully you felt you could of approached someone indeed our staff our normally trained to ask.

Thank you for clarifying that.

[quote]You refer to the cost being expensive but we strive to pay our staff good rates of pay and use high quality ingridents all of which adds to cost

I have worked in several cafes and restaurants, and I know about the cost of ingredients and the tight margins in catering. I know that rice and noodles are exceptionally cheap, and that vegetables are comparatively expensive. I would have been happy to pay £10 for a generous portion of food containing a nice balance of carbohydrates and vegetables. The price we paid was most certainly not good value for what we got.

I was not exaggerating when I said that there was a 'mere handful' of veg in each meal. I was genuinely startled by it, and it seemed such a shame, because I really wanted to support and recommend a place with such a lot of character and so many veggie options.

[quote]The carboydrate content was put in as this was recommended to us because the vast majority of our clients our walkers and climbers and that was what they requested on feedback info A range of vegan lighter dishes are available but we would be happy to hear any thoughts of what you think might be more appropiate

We are walkers, and if we want a carbohydrate fix, we'll eat oatcakes, or pay £1.50 for a portion of chips. If we have a sit down meal and pay £30 for the two portions of food and some beers each, we expect a tasty, balanced and memorable meal containing plenty of veg. We don't expect fancy presentation or organic ingredients, but we do expect to enjoy the food and leave our plates empty.

[quote]We are currently revamping our menus for the next season and would love to hear your feedback to this reply so we can include it and I lay down a challange work with outposts like ourselves who try to be inclusive to all lifestyles and remain in profit and will invite you back for a free meal and your feedback

That's really fair, and shows a willingless to listen to customers. I'll email this reply to you directly in case you don't check back to this thread. If I enjoy a really tasty meal in your pub, I'll broadcast it far and wide!
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:28 pm

The venue have now sent me a personal email, which makes it clear that all my comments have been taken on board and that their ethos is to provide tasty food in big portions at fair prices.

So I can totally take back what I said about not recommending buying a meal there - it looks like my experience was either not typical, or very much a problem from the past.
Hiking Fox

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews