better for vegans : munchen or vienna?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

better for vegans : munchen or vienna?

Postby dizzy3 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:49 pm

hi everyone, i am trying to find out which one of these cities is better for vegans and what would be the best areas for my type... liberal, vegan, a bit artsy yet a bit ''bourgeois'' at the same time ? i'm not really interested in clubs or the nightlife, i'd rather have safe strets, green spaces/parks, clean air and several vegan places to eat close to my home.

if you've been to both cities, what are the people like in general ? which city is friendlier to strangers ? is there a strong vegan/ar crowd in either of them ?

thanks a lot in advance :)
dizzy3

Postby bronco » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Hmm, I never been to Munchen, but I spent a year in Vienna and that is definitely a nice place to be with good vegan options.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby veganlove » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:09 am

I've been to both cities and loved both. I was vegan when I went to Munchen, however wasn't when I went to Vienna. Going with what I remember, I would say Munchen may be a little better for vegan food options. I had a difficult time finding anything to eat, but that was because I couldn't chose the restaurants. I do know there are vegan places in the city. Regardless, Munchen food was very much focused on meat and cream dishes so you'd obvi have to work around that. I had to ask for vegetables to get any. Anyway, Vienna food was typical Italian and of course a lot of meat dishes, but I'm not sure of any restaurants there, its been a long time.

I think the main reason Munchen would be easier to for a vegan is because it seemed much more liberal and had a younger demographic. I seem to remember feeling Vienna was conservative. It was also a lot easier to communicate in Munchen than in Italy. This makes a big difference when making special requests for meals at restaurants. Unless you know both languages, which I don't.

I loved that Munchen had the whole parks, art museums, clean air vibe. It's a great city and I would love to live there. It's got an overall great feeling to it. Vienna was great, as well but it seemed much more conservative (like I said) and the culture feels more closed off. The city doesn't give me the same feeling and the whole green space, clean air isn't vienna. There may be parts I didn't go to, but overall it seemed like a more established city rather than a growing, young city. Although both cities are larger sized, I also felt a lot safer in Munchen.

Both have their advantages, obviously with the art museums and great architecture. Theres a lot to see in both cities. I personally would prefer Munchen because I have this love for Germany. It's one of the best countries I've been to. I feel how warm the people are, how new ideas are flowing in and out, and how established they are with tradition.

I hope this helped a little. Good luck with your decision!
veganlove

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:42 am

München! In America is is always listed as Munich...
Fallen_Horse

Postby veganlove » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm

yes we call it Munich (for some weird reason)
veganlove

Postby natty » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:48 am

sorry but you are talking about vienna-wien-the capital in austria? i have never heard of vienna in italy. well i lived in WIEN for 3 years, one of it as vegan. it is avery nice town with a few vegan potions and loads of vegan possibilities to shop. (a bit expenisve though as most of them is organic too). as far as food is concerned there is enough vegan places even next to the university campus and in the student's district. the air is not the best and there is not too many big parks in the inner town but moving with tram for 15 mins or metro you can reach really very nice green areas like the donau isle or some realy nice big parks. don't forget theat wien is not that big just 2 mill. of inhabitants so don't expect something liek central park in the middle of wien :wink: i loved to live there and hope to move back in june.
been to munich only for a short visit but i saw that there is a big rasta massiv and as most rastafarians is vegan or at least vegeterian there should be some (exotic)vegan options.
>> stone that the builder refused gonna be the head corner stone (b.marley)<<
natty

Postby fredrikw » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:58 am

I think veganlove is mixing Vienna, the capital of Austria, with Venice, an Italian city with the sewers at street level :P
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby daisy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:29 am

hi dizzy3,

good you sent me an email, otherways i would have missed this thread. :)
i spent the last 7 years in vienna (studiying, working, being ar-active) und never have been to munich.

but still i have an opinion:
munich is much more conservative, rather sceptical towards foreigners (the police)
vienna is better for vegans, more alternative und much more active concerning AR-activity. vienna is in my opinion the most active city concerning ar-activity in the whole german speaking area. there are about 200 ar demos a year, including 3 big demo-marsches. there are about 70 people acitve a year, more or less.
there are about 50 veggie restaurants and ten of them are perfect for vegans.
www.vegan.at/restaurants
you can get everything you need in supermarkets. but there are also organic supermarkets or shops for specialites.
marius from romania knows me. you can contact him over www.svr.ro

im not patriotic and im very sceptical towards austrian politics, etc but im almost sure, that vienna is the most vegan friendly city in the whole german speakting area. perhaps berlin is even better. then long nothing, then perhaps hamburg,.. munich is rather bad, although they have a vegan kepab-stall.
if you search for living in vienna try it over www.vegan.at/forum in the "wohnen section" englisch is ok there,..

any questions? you can mail to info@vegan.at

:)
greetings
Last edited by daisy on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.vegan.at - http://www.veganisnormal.com - http://www.veganmania.at
daisy

Postby veganlove » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:54 pm

ahhh hahaha i definitely read "venice" instead of vienna. sorry!
veganlove

Postby veganlove » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:55 pm

so what did you decide? :D
veganlove

Postby chloe » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:40 am

yeah plus münchen is expensive as all hell. probably the highest living cost of anywhere in germany. dont know how Wien compares.
chloe

Postby dizzy3 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:59 pm

[quote="veganlove"]so what did you decide? :D

i'm going to live in vienna first and see how i like it, i found a lot more vegans there than in munchen ( though strangely enough munchen has at least 4-5 all vegan restaurants while vienna doesn't even have one :? )

[quote] yeah plus münchen is expensive as all hell. probably the highest living cost of anywhere in germany. dont know how Wien compares.

i'm not sure , they both seem to have about the same living costs but i don't really know... they're no london that's fo sho. :oops:
dizzy3

Postby daisy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:05 am

hi dizzy,

as far as i know formosa restaurant is vegan.
and there is a new vegan one: mondscheinstüberl. everything can be found in the restaurantlist which is linked here in our new touristinfo:

http://www.vegan.at/english/
restaurants, products, tipps..for austria

greetings
http://www.vegan.at - http://www.veganisnormal.com - http://www.veganmania.at
daisy

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews