Chocolate Coconut Cream Cake

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Chocolate Coconut Cream Cake

Postby a Natural Gourmet » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:56 pm

Hi y'all,

I posted a picture of this cake in the image galery, and here then is the recipe, making at least one somebody happy :wink:

*Tender Cocoa Cream Cake - yields a 10" cake (For smaller cake: use 4/5 of all ingredients for 9" or 2/3 for 8" cake)

1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup + 2 Tbs cocoa powder
1/2 cup rapadura or sucanat or soem other natural sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup almond or soymilk, room temperature
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil
1/2 cup water
1 Tbs + 1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350F-175C Oil and flour a 10"cake pan
2. Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together to combine.
3. In a seperate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients and pour into dry. Mix well.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan
5. Bake for about 30-40 mins until cake is springy to the touch and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
6. Allow to cool on wire rack for about 5 mins. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.

*Coconut Cashew frosting - yields 3 cups

28 oz unsweetened coconut milk
scant 1/2 cup agar flakes
1/8 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup + 3 Tbs grade A Maple syrup
1 package Stevia Plus (about 1/4 tsp)
2 Tbs cashew butter

1. In medium saucepan, combine coconut milk and agar flakes. Let sit for 10 mins. Add salt, vanilla and sweeteners.
2. Over medium-high heat, bring coconut mixture to a boil, stirring often and scraping the agar from sides and bottom of pot with a wooden spoon.
3. Reduce heat to very low and cook partially covered, stirring and scraping often, until agar is dissolved. (about 15-20 mins)
4. Pour the coconut mixture into a shallow pan and chill untill set (about 15 mins in freezer or 30-40 mins in fridge)
5. In food processor, combine coconut mixture with cashew butter. Process until very smooth and silky, occasionally scraping down the sides of the work bowl with a rubber spatula.

You can make a variation by changing the coco milk into some nut milk, adding 1/2 tsp of a flavorful extract...

For this cake, I sliced the cake in half with a bread knife, and carefully got the top half of with a thin piece of cardboard. Then some of the frosting went on top of the bottom half, as well as half a jar of Orange marmelade, which was mixed with some water. That made a 1/2 " layer of hidden pleasure. Top half back on, and the I used the rest of the frosting to cover the entire cake. First a very thin layer on top and sides, cake for 10 mins in fridge, so as to prevent crumbs messing things up when applying the thicker layer of frosting.
Finally the cake got decorated with a delicious ganache (see below), cherries and edible flowers...

*Coconut Ganache - yields 2 cups

3/4 cup coconut milk
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 Tbs rice syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz dairy free dark chocolate (approx 1 cup choco chips)

1. In small heavy saucepan, combine coconut milk, oil, rice syrup and vanilla.
2. Whisk together over low heat just until ingredients are well combined and warm.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in chocolate with a rubber spatula or spoon. Continue to stir until all chocolate is melted and the icing is consistently smooth.
4. Allow to cool and thicken slightly before pouring on cake. If icing does not thicken, set in fridge for a few mins and stir before pouring. If mixture hardens before you have had a chance to pour, gently re-heat.

I didn't pour, but used a pastry bag with a few different tips. I had to put the bag in the fridge a few times, as my hands heated up the ganache in the bag...

A lot of work, but defenitely worth it!
Tino

The only way out is the way in

http://www.naturalgourmetschool.com/
a Natural Gourmet

Return to Vegan Recipes