My (vegan) ice cream gets too hard

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My (vegan) ice cream gets too hard

Postby jamesndawson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:11 am

I'm sorry if this isn't quite in the right place. I couldn't think of a better one.

I love my ice cream best just after I get it home, and it's all soft and fluffy, the perfect texture. But after it's been in the freezer a few days, it's gets too hard. It's good, but not as delicious as the soft I much prefer.

Right now, my refigerator is set for a little less than "normal" or setting "3". But that still hardens my ice cream more than I like.

How low would the safest lowest setting be that'd keep my ice cream soft. Has anybody else experimented with this. I suppose one could keep a thermometer in the freezer and/or fridge and see that it doesn't get below a certain temperature.

Leaving it in the fridge for a few minutes doesn't help. It just gets all runny that way.
James
jamesndawson

Re: My (vegan) ice cream gets too hard

Postby vogiama » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Hallo, I see that this is an old post. I'm really going to reply to this 10 years after (...like the band!)

I had the same problem. That's why, I never buy vegan ice cream from the store.

So, that's what I do instead: I always keep a bowl full of choped banana pieces in my deep freezer. I instantly prepare my ice cream, by adding the frozen banana pieces to a food processor along with a small amount of plant milk.

It's too easy to make and it doesn't take much time. It's delicious and of course it's soft. I also can add cacao powder and some sweetener, or peanut butter. Only problem is that the ice cream that is left can't be stored anymore. So, I pretty much estimate how much I need to make every time, so that can I consume it instantly.
vogiama

Postby athlegan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:04 am

Oh damn, this sounds yummy! I'll probably try your recipe this weekend, vogiama!
athlegan
Site Admin

Postby jamesndawson » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:59 am

If I were more disciplined and into bananas, this might be a solution, but I'm afraid it probably wouldn't taste or "mouth feel" as good as vegan ice cream. But maybe I'll give it a try some time.
Right now I just microwave it about 10 to 20 seconds. It doesn't produce the ideal texture I'm looking for, but it's better than rock hard.
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Recipes