B-day cake for toddler?

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

B-day cake for toddler?

Postby ModestyB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Our youngest will be 2 years old March 23. We will spend his b-day in NYC, and at first I thought I´d buy the cake from Blossom bakery, but first off, they are crazy expensive, and second, I want a childish, colorful, crazy AND good cake that a 2-year old would like to mosh the head in (yes, before the other way).

I´m thinking a coffé cake-like "base" in 2 layers, one filled with strawberry mousse, and one with what?

To decorate I will use pink marzipane and make a car figure out of non-stop...
Can you buy vegan pink marzipane for cakes somewhere?
ModestyB

Re: B-day cake for toddler?

Postby ida » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 am

Pink marzipan is probably the hardest one to find vegan, since they often use carmine to get the red color. But I guess if there is red vegan marzipan to be found, NYC is the place where it can be bought. :)

Any other color marzipan is usually not a problem to find vegan.

Some friends of mine did a "pancake cake" to their son's birthday, with like 20 super thin layers of crepes and crushed raspberries between each layer and some vegan whipped cream on the top. Absolutely loved by all kids, and not overly sweet. Us over the age of 8 got a regular cake :P
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby Koa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:13 am

You could buy white marzipan and use red food colouring to make it pink.

We use "Langdale Scarlet" food colouring containing Ponceau 4R E124 and Sunset Yellow E110. We use it maybe once a year in small quantity taking into account the health concerns.
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 am

Why not make regular cake?

We just had an awesome birthday cake for our 7-year old. I'll post a pic, but it was basically a three tiers of blue cascading with chocolate dolphins and shells. It took a while to make, but it parts were gluten-free, all of it was vegan, and it was cheap.

We used regular flours we could find in any supermarket and make the dolphins and shells in molds after melting chocolate.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Recipes