"Fish" recipes?

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

"Fish" recipes?

Postby ColleenE » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey brilliant gourmets,
Any suggestions on how to create from scratch imitation "fish"? Of all the meats I miss, a nice swordfish steak is probably tops:)
I would prefer it to be soy free, but I'd try anything once:)
ColleenE

Re: "Fish" recipes?

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 am

I've used nori in recipes before to give them a "fishy" taste...any sort of seaweed would probably work.

I've never had swordfish, so I can't help you there, but years ago I tried this recipe and I really liked it:

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2011/05/31/faux-fish-cakes/

(has tofu, so not soy-free, but perhaps gives you some ideas to make something of your own)
lobsteriffic

Postby Webb » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 pm

I just use a desired mock meat and add seaweed flakes, so if you have a soy-free option you like try that. There are multiple steps in which you can add it, such as in the marinade or use it to make a sauce to serve on the "fish". If you have ever made seitan yourself, you could try adding in seaweed to the liquid you boil it in, and maybe also as the liquid you add to the gluten. I haven't tried this before, but I think it would work alright.
Also, if you have an asian market you can find mock fish at them sometimes.

Another simple, but not soy-free, thing you could do is fried tofu. In the past I have made fried fish sandwiches by marinating slices of tofu in a fishy broth, and adding in seaweed flakes to the batter.
Webb

Postby ColleenE » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 am

[quote="Webb"]I just use a desired mock meat and add seaweed flakes, so if you have a soy-free option you like try that. There are multiple steps in which you can add it, such as in the marinade or use it to make a sauce to serve on the "fish". If you have ever made seitan yourself, you could try adding in seaweed to the liquid you boil it in, and maybe also as the liquid you add to the gluten. I haven't tried this before, but I think it would work alright.
Also, if you have an asian market you can find mock fish at them sometimes.

Another simple, but not soy-free, thing you could do is fried tofu. In the past I have made fried fish sandwiches by marinating slices of tofu in a fishy broth, and adding in seaweed flakes to the batter.

Cool suggestions, thank you both!
ColleenE

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:54 pm

I have some recipes, but they are all based on tofu and tempeh.
Hiking Fox

Return to Vegan Recipes