Dandelion Crisps (or chard crisps ... or kale chips)

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Dandelion Crisps (or chard crisps ... or kale chips)

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat May 19, 2012 6:57 pm

OK, she's flipped, you're thinking. Hiking Fox has gone ALL HIPPY. Dandelions are the sort of thing raw fooders eat with a brave face, cos they're trying to convince people they're enjoying them. Thing is, though, I've always struggled with the idea that the guinea pigs chow down on all this free plant food that grows on every verge and I can't join in.

So... I took the trendy idea of kale chips ("potato chips" are what Americans call crisps, though British people can handle this idea, cos we eat tortilla chips without calling them crisps) and used chard, from one of my guerilla garden patches. The resulting chard crisps were so awesomely lovely that I ate the lot in one go.

I then gathered a load of dandelion leaves, gave 'em a good wash and made dandelion crisps. They were reet tasty, though there was a building bitter after-taste, so I couldn't eat as many.

I recommend making a mixture of kale, chard and dandelion crisps and passing it round your friends. They will look at you like you're PROPER WEIRD, but they will eat them say "yum" and eat some more. As they are absolutely loaded in minerals and good stuff, yet taste like junk food, you have a winner.

You need:

Big handful of dandelion, chard and kale leaves with the thickest woody spines / stems torn off.

A little drizzle of olive oil

sea or rock salt

Method:

1. Shake the leaves and pat with tea towel until they are vaguely dry (salad spinners are for middle-class people with big kitchen cupboards) and put in a bowl. Drizzle in a very small amount of olive oil and sprinkle in some salt, then mix with your fingers until all the leaves are coated with a little oil and salt.

2. Arrange on a baking tray and bake at gas mark 5 / 190C / about 375 F for 10 mins. Try one for crispiness. If a little soggy, turn oven down a bit and give 'em a coupla more mins. Put in a bowl and sprinkle on a little more salt.

3. Eat.
Hiking Fox

Re: Dandelion Crisps (or chard crisps ... or kale chips)

Postby loveliberate » Mon May 21, 2012 7:45 am

Sounds great - I will try to get one of my hippy housemates to make these so I can try them! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby ninearms » Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 am

You forgot the patchouli. Hippy.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon May 21, 2012 12:16 pm

No way! I need the patchouli to drip onto my tie-die velvet waistcoat, in order to keep me smelling pukka.
Hiking Fox

Postby Raynak » Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Sounds great, I'll definitely try this soon.
Unfortunately kale is really a winter-season-vegetable in my country, so right now it's almost impossible to find :cry: and I haven't found chard anywhere yet. But dandylions are everywhere :)
Raynak

Postby Big Foot Marty » Tue May 22, 2012 1:05 am

love dandelion and have it in garden with nettles, purslane, thistle as well standard garden fare- kale/cabbage/lettuce.....
make sald,smoothies and add to stews/chili

will try chips
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Return to Vegan Recipes