'Whole food' protein drink?

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: 'Whole food' protein drink?

Postby Herbsman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:58 pm

fredrikw wrote:Food that has been mixed, or even cut, is not whole, don't forget that.

Ok, but 'whole' food stops being 'whole' as soon as you bite into it. Does that mean you shouldn't chew food?

When I think of 'whole food' I think of something that's been made from the whole of something, so for example wholemeal flour would count, but not white flour.

Admittedly, neither soya milk nor tofu would count, but let's not get too pedantic... I just want something high in protein but also nutritious with lots of micronutrients, some quality fats and maybe some fibre, not just protein alone.
Herbsman

Postby baldy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Herbsman wrote: I just want something high in protein but also nutritious with lots of micronutrients, some quality fats and maybe some fibre, not just protein alone.

I think you need hemp protein then, check it out, it has loads of fibre and goodies you are after. Don't be put off by protein powder either, it is meant to supplement you diet that probably already has enough quality fats and fibre.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:16 pm

bob_summers wrote:I don't put that much protein in my recovery shake, it wouldn't be hard to get the same amount without using the powder (pea iso in my case)

How much protein do you need? :wink: :wink:

About 30g?

That could be a litre of soya milk depending on which brand I buy...

Or 500ml soya milk plus some hummous on toast afterwards
Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm

baldy wrote:
Herbsman wrote: I just want something high in protein but also nutritious with lots of micronutrients, some quality fats and maybe some fibre, not just protein alone.

I think you need hemp protein then, check it out, it has loads of fibre and goodies you are after. Don't be put off by protein powder either, it is meant to supplement you diet that probably already has enough quality fats and fibre.

May just go for a bulk hemp seed pack...

http://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/he ... -bulk.html

That works out at £5.08 per kg... £10.81 per kg of protein if they really contain 47% protein...
Herbsman

Postby _Andreas_ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Hemp seeds are a pretty good bet.

Also try pumpkin seeds. I read they had a good protein content + other benefits like fibre and zinc. See link below

Guess you could chuck in a tin of beans. I don't think it would taste very good, but you could try. Got the idea from seeing the shake in this blog
http://www.veganmuscleandfitness.com/ve ... -and-more/

The other idea would be sprouts (again taste) or grains like quinoa/buckwheat (depends what carb:protein ratio you want).

Like others have mentioned, you could use protein powder and add wholefoods to the shake (seeds, fruits, greens etc).

I personally avoid soy in my shakes, because its so easy to get soy protein from a lot of other, often far tastier sources.
_Andreas_

Postby rattus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:57 am

fredrikw wrote:Food that has been mixed, or even cut, is not whole, don't forget that.

I thought the rule was ...

"Any organic substance that has been picked, harvested, or gleaned; cannot be classed as a source of nutrition and will give you cancer within hours"
rattus

Previous

Return to Vegan Recipes