Pumpkin/Sunflower Loaf for roast dinners.

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Pumpkin/Sunflower Loaf for roast dinners.

Postby daf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Same principal as the Thrive burger recipes, but it worked so well cooked I thought I'd share.

1 portion pumpkin seeds
1 portion sunflower seeds
1 portion cooked millet
1/2 portion frozen spinach
engevita/nutritional yeast
onions
garlic
mixed herbs
oil

1) Earlier in the day, cook millet with water, in covered pan, for 20 minutes or so or until you think it's cooked. Turn off and leave to cool.

2) Later on, chop and fry onion and garlic. Once they're soft, add the herbs and frozen spinach, cover and cook until the spinach has thawed.

3) Put all the seeds and yeast into food processor, and blend until it looks like breadcrumbs.

4) Chuck in the millet, blend. Then add the onion/spinach mix and blend briefly just so it mixes well.

5) Grease a loaf tin and spoon in all the mixture. Wipe off any spills to stop it burning, and cover the top with greaseproof. Cook at 150 centigrade for 20 mins or so, then remove greaseproof and cook for further 10 mins, or until it turns golden. Or black. depends how you like to eat things.

We left it overnight to cool and turned it out as a solid loaf in the morning, but you could eat it hot.

There is no salt in it, so our little one can eat it. I suggest you smother it in gravy or homemade damson chutney. Check out delia's recipe here: http://tinyurl.com/damson-delia quick before damson season is over.

I was impressed with the nutty texture, and whilst we often run out of nuts, we always have sacks of seeds in the house.

Daf

In the spirit of "soy not oi" punk cooking, the soundtrack to this included:
Chase and Staus - Hitz.
Against Me - Wagon Wheel.
Wugazi - Sleep rules everything around me.
Kate Rusby - Village Green preservation society.

And the tipple was raki from my dad's village in Crete.
---
I need a remedy of diesel and dust, something I can taste with a fix I can trust.
daf

Re: Pumpkin/Sunflower Loaf for roast dinners.

Postby vege » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:13 pm

i shall try this! thanks 8)
vege

Postby bigfootmarty » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:12 pm

I love playing and experimenting with seeds and beans making loaves and patties... This is a good combo and I can taste it in my mind.
Marty

Vegan Runner, Backpacker, gardener and Foodie- Former Football player- 6'8 290# , size 17 shoes.....

Vegan for 7-8 years
bigfootmarty

Postby daf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:41 pm

@vege and bigfootmarty, enjoy, i'm still making it and roast season is in full swing...
---
I need a remedy of diesel and dust, something I can taste with a fix I can trust.
daf

Postby bigfootmarty » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:41 pm

doing it with fresh cranberries made into a sauce with peppers
Marty

Vegan Runner, Backpacker, gardener and Foodie- Former Football player- 6'8 290# , size 17 shoes.....

Vegan for 7-8 years
bigfootmarty

Return to Vegan Recipes