my first homemade seitan

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

my first homemade seitan

Postby soniczip » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:12 pm

after all the talk at vfw austria, i decided to prepare my first homemade seitan. i followed the guidelines of this lady ...:

... but i didn't put any nutritional yeast. the spices i used were: black pepper, curry, ginger. i also minced together and added sage, rosemary and garlic. i used water and normal soy sauce.

the only problem i had was with the too much water i poured. i had to add more flour to reach the right consistency, but that was all.

i cooked the pieces of seitan in a broth i made with onion, garlic, carrots, celery, soy sauce and oil ... and water of course!

this was the result ...:

... i saw another video where a girl said you can conserve the seitan in the fridge for up to 10 days if you leave it soaked in the broth you have used for the cooking. so that's what i'm doing, even if i guess i'll eat it all in a couple of days: that's the quantity from more than 1kg of flour!!! i'll use the remaining broth to cook some pasta or rice tomorrow.

i reheated the stuff with olive oil for dinner ...:

... the taste is not bad at all, not worse than any other fluffy seitan i got from the shops. but that's not the kind of seitan i prefer. the firmer kind of seitan is what i'm looking for, so i guess i'll have to try a cotton cloth to hold the seitan tight while cooking next time ... if that's the way it's supposed to be made.
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Re: my first homemade seitan

Postby vegan hal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 pm

looks tasty! good job. you'll refine it. props for making it from scratch.

i'm doing an experiment tonight w/ some bbq tofu.
vegan hal

Postby _Andreas_ » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:58 am

If you want firm Seitan (which I think tastes a lot better), you need to wrap it in tin foil and bake it. I think ninearms posted a recipe somewhere on here and I definitely recommend trying that instead.
_Andreas_

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:26 am

Also the longer you knead the gluten, the firmer it will end up. It's quite a hassle!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby grogan197 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 pm

I'll have to try this. Got two big bags of vital wheat gluten that have been sat in the cupboard for ages...
grogan197

Postby loveliberate » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Nice video & photos! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Mufflon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:51 pm

I get firm seitan by rolling it up in tin foil and then cooking it. Makes nice "sausages". Trying to bake it was a fail, lol.
Mufflon

Postby soniczip » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:55 pm

yeah, i used tin foil the second time i made it, but i didn't tighten it enough and it expanded a bit too much :? it's too hot to cook now and just thinking about using the oven makes me sweat, so i'll wait for cooler days to fix it :P
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Return to Vegan Recipes