Herbsman wrote:actually i would ignore that recipe. i seem to have mixed it up
200g/8oz bread, preferably stale, crusts removed
250ml/½ pint soya milk
150g/6oz mixed dried fruit
50g/2oz mixed peel, chopped
50g/2oz soft brown sugar
50g/2oz vegetable suet
2 tsp mixed spice
icing sugar or caster sugar to decorate
1. Break bread into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Pour over the soya milk and leave to soak for 30 minutes, then beat out the lumps with a fork to form a smooth mixture.
3. Add the fruit, mixed peel, sugar, suet and spice and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased 18cm/7in square tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with nutmeg.
5. Bake at 180C/350F/Gas4 for about 1-1½ hours until browned. Cool in the tin.
6. Cut the pudding into squares and sprinkle with caster or icing sugar. Alternatively serve hot with custard.