Does anyone make their own yoghurt?

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Does anyone make their own yoghurt?

Postby hardcore iv » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:29 am

Australia is a bit behind when it comes to vegan yoghurt. We now have only one brand available after one company decided to add D3 to their yoghurts. I'm trying to find a way to make a plain vegan yoghurt, but I can't do it the old fashioned way as all the yoghurts here are flavoured and full of sugar.

My next option is to find a vegan probiotic and add that to soymilk and let it grow, but haven't had any luck finding a vegan probiotic.

Can anyone help?
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby emm7 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11 pm

I have successfully made my own soya yoghurt, I used Acidophilus capsules and took the capsule shell apart and just used the powder inside.
You need a thermos flask and a box of soya milk and the Acidophilus capsules.

My method was
Heat soya milk to just below boiling point to sterilise it.
Rinse thermos flask with boiling water to sterilise it.
Wait until milk has cooled down to blood heat (lukewarm).
Add contents of 4 acidophilus capsules ( or two tablespoons of live soya yoghurt if you have it ) per half litre of soya milk and stir well.
Pour mixture into thermos flask and leave in a warmish place ( such as an airing cupboard near your hot water tank) for 8-12 hours. If temperature is too low the yoghurt won't set. If temperature is too high the bacteria will be killed.
Pour set yoghurt out of thermos and put in fridge, eat within 4 days.

Not all acidophilus capsules seem to work when making yoghurt.
If it's a good brand of acidophilus it should work and the yoghurt should set.
Suspect any brands that don't as it could be a sign that the capsules aren't "live".
Look for a capsule that only contains acidophilus (not one with the names of other bacteria on the label as well, as in my experience these don't work).

Bryanna Clark Grogan's website has got a lot of information about this:

http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1999382.htm
emm7

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:45 am

thanks for the info. The link you provided lists starter cultures that appear to not be vegan, except for the tribest yolife starter culture. Where do you get your acidophilus caps from?
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby emm7 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:58 am

Well I buy them from the health food shop.
You just open the capsule up (discard the shell).
Fingers crossed you should have some brands in Australia that are vegan.
Should say Dairy-free and Acidophilus on the jar.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby jeffchampagne » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:41 pm

i wish i could do my own yougourth

but i if made my own i would probably get my self sick realy badly
jeffchampagne

Postby hardcore iv » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 am

There are no vegan brands available in Australia. Will have to buy some online. What specific brand do you use emm7?
hardcore iv

Postby emm7 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:51 pm

[quote="hardcore iv"]There are no vegan brands available in Australia. Will have to buy some online. What specific brand do you use emm7?

argh don't remember which brand worked!
Boots own brand DEFINITELY didn't work.
Higher Nature brand definitely didn't work either.
Can't remember whether Lifeplan brand worked.
May have been Quest brand that worked but I can't remember.
Don't take my word for it yet, will have to try making some with the Quest brand capsules I've got in the house and report back.

You have a brand called Natren Dairy Free Acidophilus in Australia by the look of it, this looks vegan?

https://www.vitamincafe.com.au/cat_deta ... ophilus%20)%20-%2070g,%20Natren&category=Womens%20Health
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Thanks for the link emm7. All the other "dairy-free" products I've emailed companies about aren't actually dairy-free. Natren's UK site says their DF acidophilus is grown off of a chickpea base, but I'll email them to make sure.
hardcore iv

Postby cherry.chops » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:03 pm

I have a bad ass yoghurt recipe you could try (if you like nutty flavours)

Ingredients:
*(fresh pre frozen mixed red berries, left out to thaw so there is alot of juice)
*a sprinkling of linseed (flax)
*a handful of soaked almonds

Pop in blender untill smooth.
To thicken, put in more linseed.

Fantastic creamy nutriant-packed yoghurt!
'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'
cherry.chops

Postby barnz2k » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Im sure I used to buy vegan yoghurt in Sydney.. I wasnt vegan then, but I bought Soy Yog all the time, and I remember it having a vegan logo or at least no dairy ingredients. I cant remember the brand though, it was over 3 years ago.
THey had 2 or 3 flavours, and brought out different ones every now and again for trial.

what brand started adding D3? (idiots!)
barnz2k

Postby hardcore iv » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:41 am

Thanks cherry.chops, that recipe sounds tasty, but is not what i'm looking for.

Barnz2k, the soylife brand is the one that is no longer vegan, but I always thought it tasted crap anyway. The kingland brand is the only vegan one now.

emm7, the natren acidophilus people didn't answer my questions very well, so I don't trust their claims that it's vegan.

the search continues...
hardcore iv

Postby barnz2k » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:05 pm

Their labels have changed, I cant remember if thats the same one. Looks like it though. I used to like them!! Apricot and mango.

WTF are they doing making it non vegan??

Seriously who do any companies that make veggie/non-dairy/egg free products not just make them vegan? theyre cutting out half their potential market..
barnz2k

Postby hardcore iv » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:32 am

Success!

Thanks to flux I got hold of some vegan acidophilus and bifidus. I made my first 2 litre batch of vegan yoghurt a couple of days ago and made some frozen rasberry yoghurt yesterday. :D Will attempt tzatziki with my next batch.
hardcore iv

Postby stateofflux » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:07 am

[quote="hardcore iv"]Success!

Thanks to flux I got hold of some vegan acidophilus and bifidus. I made my first 2 litre batch of vegan yoghurt a couple of days ago and made some frozen rasberry yoghurt yesterday. :D Will attempt tzatziki with my next batch.

I'm so pleased, woohoo. What is the taste like and can you post the recipe?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby hardcore iv » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:18 am

Tastes pretty good, but it is a little bit sweet. I think this is because of the amount of sugar in the soymilk I used. My recipe was very simple.

2 litres soymilk
1 teaspoon agar-agar powder (optional, but will give it a thicker consistency)
9 probiotic caps

- Sterilise everything that the yoghurt will touch with boiling water.
- Stir in agar-agar powder into 1 litre of soymilk and then bring to boil.
- Take off heat and add 1 litre of soymilk from an aseptic pack. Once temperature drops to 42 degrees celsius whisk in probiotics.
- put lid on saucepan and wrap a tea towel or similar object around it and then put that in a bag so the yoghurt is well insulated. Place it in a warm draught free area and let it sit for about 12 hours or longer depending on how warm the surrounding environment is. I let mine grow for about 20 hours before refrigerating it.
hardcore iv

Next

Return to Vegan Recipes