Foxy Brownies - these are effin' great!

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Foxy Brownies - these are effin' great!

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Foxy Brownies

Warning – this isn’t health food. If you’re on a diet then look away now, go and hang out in ‘Ha’s Rant’ or an innocent thread like that. I made these to win a bet. Someone who is negative about veganism but impressed by my sponge cakes told me that it isn’t possible to make genuinely good vegan brownies. I had never tried making brownies before, as the recipes I’d glanced at didn’t inspire me, they relied on cocoa powder for a start - there wasn’t any actual chocolate in them. I’m not American, so probably have about as much right to get indignant about that as those across the Atlantic have to bemoan the lack of decent vegan Yorkshire pudding, but ...WhatTF?!

I therefore made this up as I went along. I tend to use cups to measure, as scales are a hassleistic faff. The result was so good that they vanished pretty quickly (and I’m not normally bothered about chocolate things), and the vegan-skeptic had to tell me I rule, go buy some brown sauce and eat his words.

Btw – don’t skimp on the vanilla or the salt. They really are important to this recipe. If you really want to make this and don’t have any vanilla, swap the soya milk for orange juice (and also miss out the vinegar) and make chocolate orange brownies. But don’t leave that salt out, mmmKay?

The Ingredients

1 cup (ie. 250 ml or 8 floz) sugar (use slightly more if unlike me you have a very sweet tooth)
1 cup margarine (yes, you heard me. A…whole…cup)
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 teaspoon salt
3 level tablespoons cocoa powder

slightly more than 1 cup SR flour
100g bar of dark chocolate, melted
half a cup soya milk or rice milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice

half a cup brazilnuts, hazelnuts or almonds, roughly ground or finely chopped (If Man On Bike is reading this, you don’t need the nuts. Just miss them out, or use a bit of dessicated coconut instead).
50g chopped white choc (there’s a great but expensive one called ‘Organica’) or more dark choc, or cocoa nibs

Baking Soundtrack: Northern Soul. (If you don’t live in the Manchester/Wigan area, and/or are under the age of 30, you can substitute any kind of jazz funk).

The Technique:

· Blend the first 5 ingredients in a food processor, or with very good wrist action, until well-creamed.
· Mix the next 5 ingredients together in a large bowl, and then stir in the creamed mix from food processor, and the nuts and white choc. Mix just well-enough to ensure there are no dry flour bits, but don’t overwork it.
· Tip into a well-greased brownie tin, approx 10 inch square. If you don’t have a brownie tin, just use any square baking/roasting tin.
· Bake on gas mark 4-5 180 C for 25 mins. The top should feel dry, but it prob won’t look done if you’re just used to making sponge cakes. (Spread your timid wings, ladies and gentlemen, and fly). Don’t worry, these things are supposed to have a squidgy texture. Cover, leave to stand.
· Cut into squares.

The first time I made this, it turned out squidgy in the middle and chewy on the outside, which was great. The second time, it was a bit soft and crumbly. I think I had the oven on a lower temperature the first time, then turned it up for the last 5 min. More experimentation needed.
Hiking Fox

Postby chloe » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:01 pm

ha excellent! this went straight into my recipe book without even trying it, just cos i trust you!It will ever more be called hiking fox's brownie!
chloe

Re: Foxy Brownies - these are effin' great!

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:52 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:1 cup (ie. 250 ml or 8 floz) sugar (use slightly more if unlike me you have a very sweet tooth)

Assuming I don't want to use either of these, what would be the best replacement?
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby xbojanx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:36 am

You could use malt syrup and oil...

HF, great recipe, if only I saw it earlier, yesterday I made some brownies, could have tried these...
xbojanx

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 am

Fallen_Horse wrote:
Hiking Fox wrote:1 cup (ie. 250 ml or 8 floz) sugar (use slightly more if unlike me you have a very sweet tooth)

Assuming I don't want to use either of these, what would be the best replacement?

You could use creamed coconut instead of the marg, but then it'll be high in saturated fat. You could use syrup instead of the sugar.

I wouldn't bother making them if you want a low fat and low sugar version, to be honest. You'd end up with summat else entirely. It wouldn't be brownies.
Hiking Fox

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Haha, well I would be much more willing to make them if they were protein brownies, so I will play around with stuff. Thanks for the ideas!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:Haha, well I would be much more willing to make them if they were protein brownies, so I will play around with stuff. Thanks for the ideas!

Maybe you could use hazelnut or cashew butter in place of some of the marg - then you'd get the same fat content, but more protein?
Hiking Fox

Postby The Duke » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:

Fallen Horse,

I've looked at HF recipe and made a few changes that will produce the nutritionally "perfect" high protein snack for you.

I've marked the changes in red.

Give it ago.

Just remember the words of Crocodile Dundee

1 cup Malto Dextrine
1 cup Flax Oil
1 sachet rehydrate salts
3 level tablespoons zero carb chocolate flavouring

slightly more than 1 cup Soya Isolate
100g bar of unrefined omega 3 enriched cocao mass
half a cup filtered H20
1 teaspoon Creatine Monohydrate

half a cup flax seeds roughly ground or finely chopped
50g Branch Chain Amino Acid (BCAA) .
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 pm

The Duke wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:

Fallen Horse,

I've looked at HF recipe and made a few changes that will produce the nutritionally "perfect" high protein snack for you.

I've marked the changes in red.

Give it ago.

Just remember the words of Crocodile Dundee

1 cup Malto Dextrine
1 cup Flax Oil
1 sachet rehydrate salts
3 level tablespoons zero carb chocolate flavouring

slightly more than 1 cup Soya Isolate
100g bar of unrefined omega 3 enriched cocao mass
half a cup filtered H20
1 teaspoon Creatine Monohydrate

half a cup flax seeds roughly ground or finely chopped
50g Branch Chain Amino Acid (BCAA) .

Thanks, I will give it a try once I get home!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:28 pm

NO BASTARD PUTS FLAX OIL OR ANYTHING WITH MORE THAN FOUR SYLLABLES IN IT INTO ANY OF MY CAKE RECIPES. GOT THAT?
Hiking Fox

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:35 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:NO BASTARD PUTS FLAX OIL OR ANYTHING WITH MORE THAN FOUR SYLLABLES IN IT INTO ANY OF MY CAKE RECIPES. GOT THAT?

What is love? Baby don't hurt, don't hurt me, no more...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm

You can take your 'zero carb chocolate flavouring' and shove it somewhere where it won't look out of place... :wink:
Hiking Fox

Postby xbojanx » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Badman nuh put flax oil in Foxy brownies :wink:
xbojanx

Postby The Duke » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:48 pm

But I really do wonder what my "alternative" recipe would taste like. :D :D

Go on give it a go!!!!

NB I really don't have to point out that this is just a joke recipe do I? :shock:
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 pm

The Duke wrote:NB I really don't have to point out that this is just a joke recipe do I? :shock:

You had me at 'rehydrate salts'...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Next

Return to Vegan Recipes