movie review & recommendation thread

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

movie review & recommendation thread

Postby JP » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:00 am

Seen any good movies lately? Post here!

Rochelle and me just watched Sweet sixteen:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313670/

Fantastic movie. Directed by Ken Loach, and his style shows. All dialogue and acting is very unpolished, unrestricted and immediate - just like real life. Too often in movies the characters talk in such deliberate way according to a poetic script, but in Loaches films, and in this one particular, the actors feel like they have been thrown in to the set and act from their guts.

I liked the storyline as well, its about a kid just 15 years old from poor glasgow area trying to build a future for himself. His mom is in prison and his dad is very abusive (if that guy was his real dad, i never quite understood). He builds his dream future on his idea of what his mom will be like when she gets out, and thats the only chance he gives to himself.

Anyways, the movie should have had subtitles, because the glasgow accent can't really be counted as english! :D

highly recommended!
JP
Site Admin

Postby JO » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:19 pm

thanks for the recommendation! I don't know why, but the entertainment highlights of my year seem to be coming from Glasgow. First David Shrigley, next Denise Mina...

:)
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby fredrikw » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:24 pm

ah, sweet sixteen is a great movie. forunately for me, I had swedish subtitles so I didn't need to struggle with the accent :D
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Matt Norwood » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:48 am

I just saw Soylent Green for the first time. Old movie, but great message in there. Vegans probably will like it.

"Soylent green is people! Soylent green is people!"

:D
Matt Norwood

Postby willpeavy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:13 pm

I took my son to "Robots" on Friday. It's a good movie, there were lots of kids there and they all seemed to like it.
willpeavy

Postby JP » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:36 pm

have anyone seen Sin City yet? Watched it yesterday, quite captivating, self ironic, and good entertainment. Proper macho stuff though...
JP
Site Admin

Moovies

Postby Oak » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:45 pm

I would recommend Hotel Rwanda. IN fact i would say that you must see this film!

This movie was good enought to make me really angry :lol:

Oak :D
Oak

Postby wannalift » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:27 pm

just watched "I Heart Huckabees" last night. very good and very funny. i'll leave you with this, "Existential Detective".
~david
wannalift

Re: Moovies

Postby willpeavy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:33 pm

Oak wrote:I would recommend Hotel Rwanda. IN fact i would say that you must see this film!

This movie was good enought to make me really angry :lol:

Oak :D

Oak - that movie is on the top of my list of movies to see.

What makes me angry is that people in America got so bent out of shape when President Clinton had an affair; but nobody cared about the fact that Clinton had the power to send troops in to stop the genocide, even though he could have easily done so.
willpeavy

Postby JP » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:49 am

Hotel Rwanda is indeed a good movie, suprisingly good for an american movie about africa (they tend to mess it up).

bubba ho-tep
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/

A movie about elvis who is actually alive and stuck in old peoples home fighting an egyptian soul sucking mummy on a killing spree. Elvis is played really well by Bruce Cambell the dude from Evil Dead, kind of cult actor. Not a must see but a hilarious cult movie anyway :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:42 pm

i love i heart huckabees. great film.

went to see 'the edukators' last night. german film about rebellion with martin bruhl of 'goodbye lennin' fame. really good-especially for me because i suprised myself with how much german i remembered and understood. only had to refer to hte sub titles half the time, even though they had thick berlin accents.

jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby Matt Norwood » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:55 am

Just saw The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. Extremely interesting look up close at the Venezuelan coup in 2002 and the reinstatement of the "overthrown" Chavez.

Whatever your politics, this film is extremely engaging and amazing that the cameras were located in the presidential palace before, during, and after the coup, then after the reinstatement of Chavez.

http://www.chavezthefilm.com/html/home.htm
Matt Norwood

Postby Cuguacuarana » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:24 am

This thread is a great idea. I love movies. All good movies so far. I thought Hotel Rwanda was awesome, I wish it had gotten more recognition. I also loved Sin City, I thought it was amazing. Definitely violent, but artful and captivating. Good characters too. I am going to see Amityville Horror tonight. I've heard its bad, but it looks really creepy so I'm excited. Most horror movies are kind of bad when you think about them too much :) Anyway I'll let everyone know how it is.

Also, Have people here seen Donnie Darko? I saw it the other night and am not sure what I think about it. Everybody loves it, but I didn't really get it. What do others think?
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby J » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:55 am

Wow, I'm appalled that you guys liked Hotel Rwanda. I mean I'm glad a movie was made about this subject. But I would have prefered one with character development, flowing plot, decent soundtrack, and enough gore to befit a movie about genocide as opposed to something that looks like it was made for the Lifetime movies for woman channel.

Also saw Sahara which wasn't any good and Kung Fu Hustle which is the best movie I've seen in years.
J

Postby J » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:58 am

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised is an excellent film. Donnie Darko is pretty good. Haven't seen any of these others.
J

Next

Return to Culture