movie review & recommendation thread

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby stateofflux » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:36 am

the machinist was great, scary that he lost all that weight (he also seemed to drop his vegetarianism for that role- either that or wasn't really ever veggie)

I really enjoyed Batman Begins as well, I though it was really unusual for it's genre.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:40 am

[quote="Rochelle"]...and Riget (thanks to Fredrik for the 4 DVD's)

Really freaky Danish series about a haunted hospital called 'the Kingdom'. I'm really enjoying it (almost finished- last episode to go)

glad you like it. the hospital's real name is "Rigshospitalet", which translates to the national hospital. It's actually an existing hospital in Denmark http://www.rigshospitalet.dk/
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:42 am

the machinist is an awesome movie, scaring role playing from Bale... I'm going to see Batman Begins soon as well, seems interesting.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:07 pm

Im not sure this really belongs on this thread, but if you like movies and bunnies you'll love this site!

http://www.angryalien.com

Worth a visit i promise!
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:58 pm

LGB

:lol:

pre amsterdam humor

good!!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby compassionategirl » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:39 pm

Just saw Free Willy 3: The Rescue on tv last night. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

harpoon each others' asses and leave the majestic, magnificent, beautiful whales alone you DAMN whalers!!!!
"One cannot speak of peace with a mouthful of victims of violence."

"If the animal rights movement pushes too hard, too fast, it is because the excesses in the opposite direction are mammoth in comparison."
compassionategirl

Postby wannalift » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:25 am

JP,
i watch trailer park boys as well. that show has the perfect balance of being brilliant and moronic at the same time. there should be a separate tv thread. i actually think modern tv shows are way more entertaining than what passes for a movie (both hollywood and indie) these days. now that i have a dvd player that plays avi files, commercial free is the only way to be. plus it makes me feel less shame about watching the entire 2nd season of 24 in 3 days :roll:
~david
wannalift

Postby runner » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:20 pm

Just saw this comedy drama. More drama than comedy.
A bit strange with two languages mixed. ok movie

Real Women Have Curves (2002)

This is the story of Ana, a first generation Mexican-American teenager on the verge of becoming a woman. She lives in the predominately Latino community of East Los Angeles. Freshly graduated from high school, Ana receives a full scholarship to Columbia University. Her very traditional, old-world parents feel that now is the time for Ana to help provide for the family, not the time for college. Torn between her mainstream ambitions and her cultural heritage she agrees to work with her mother at her sister's downtown LA sewing factory. Over the summer she learns to admire the hardworking team of women who teach her solidarity and teamwork. Still at odds with what her mother expects of her, Ana realizes that leaving home to continue her education is essential to finding her place proudly in the world as an American and Chicana.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby J » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:35 pm

I saw Hero as I was told it was even better than Kung Fu Hustle. I found it quite childish as it was serious whereas Kung Fu Hustle was just comedy. Also it dragged on and on.

Orwell Rolls Over in his Grave: Nothing I didn't know. I wish everyone else knew. Drives me crazy that they don't and won't and we're all going to hell as a result.

I bought the DVD with special bonus features of The Forbidden Zone.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080752/usercomments Great music; specially Witch's Egg and that Hidy Hidy Ho song by Danny Elfman as the devil.
J

Postby ida » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:13 pm

a great movie that I can highly reccomend is "postman blues" a wonderful story about a japanese mailman, lots and lots of cycling, love, hitmans and allot of other stuff :) great scenery and wonderful views of a urban environment in Japan.
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby Frostfire » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:59 pm

I must say I'm a little embarresed to put my favorite movies up :oops: (they don't neccessarily have deep messages and are typical Hollywood stuff) , but I just love them so much I have to share :D !

Watched Pitch Black with Vin Diesel (he is quickly becoming my favorite actor) again on Saturday. I just love how this movie starts out with Vin Diesel being the bad guy/escaped convict/killer and the bounty hunter the good guy, but as the movie goes into each character, the rolls seem to switch and the lines of "good & bad" get blurred and true character comes out as they try to survive.

I also love Chronicles of Riddick and Knockaround Guys, both with Diesel in them :D .
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby JP » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:07 pm

[quote="Crystal"]I also love Chronicles of Riddick

My favourite line from there:

Tough guy: "what, are you going to kill us with your coffee cup?"
Vin Diesel: "tea cup"
tough guy: "what?"
Vin Diesel: "I'm going to kill you with my tea cup"

which he did.

i'm a sucker for these macho liners :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Quizeen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:03 pm

[quote="Crystal"]I must say I'm a little embarresed to put my favorite movies up :oops: (they don't neccessarily have deep messages and are typical Hollywood stuff) , but I just love them so much I have to share :D !

Watched Pitch Black with Vin Diesel (he is quickly becoming my favorite actor) again on Saturday. I just love how this movie starts out with Vin Diesel being the bad guy/escaped convict/killer and the bounty hunter the good guy, but as the movie goes into each character, the rolls seem to switch and the lines of "good & bad" get blurred and true character comes out as they try to survive.

I also love Chronicles of Riddick and Knockaround Guys, both with Diesel in them :D .

I'm so glad you said this because both of those movies, Pitch Black and Riddick, were great. I enjoyed them a lot even though I'm not a Vin Diesel fan in particular, but they were darn good Sci-Fi.

I just watched The Long Engagement, which according to the trailers I saw when it was in theaters, looked to be a bit sappy. In reality, it was a cleverly filmed war/mystery film. I highly recommend it.
Quizeen

Postby Jonathan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:34 pm

i really liked pitch black and want to see chronicles of riddick - and i would love to look like vin diesel as well - he has just the right proportions.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby J » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:32 pm

:? I thought you wanted to get big Jonathan?

Anyway my wife rented The Pacifier and I must say, Vin Diesel can only act in certain roles..... Pitch Black was a good movie though.
J

PreviousNext

Return to Culture