movie review & recommendation thread

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby JP » Tue May 10, 2005 7:04 pm

i second Revolution will not be televised - good and emotional document.

Couple movies we've seen lately:

Napoleon Dynamite was recommended by crystal, and the movie was funny :D though i think certain hick elements escape from us, because we don't really know about those areas and people living there.

Hitchhikers guide to galaxy was FANTASTIC! So funny, and had great actors in it, including veggie rapper Mos Def who was also in Woodsman, that dude can actually act, and is not just these guys who jump from one show business to another because of their name.
JP
Site Admin

Postby J » Tue May 10, 2005 7:29 pm

I heard lots of bad things about Hitchhikers Guide from people who have the lines of the book memorized but I liked the movie especially the first half. Second half was kind of rushed I thought.

Mos Def surprised me. I was thinking "token" but he did Ford Prefect pretty well. I think I might have to check out his music.

Did you notice that Zaphod was a characiture (sp) of George Bush? I thought that was pretty funny. Most people didn't seem to notice but I thought it was really obvious.
J

Postby Cuguacuarana » Wed May 11, 2005 3:18 am

I didn't like Hitchhiker's Guide at all. I guess I laughed at a few parts, but overall I was pretty bored and we walked out. I would consider checking it out again, it could be that I just wasn't in the mood.

Napoleon Dynamite is legendary. I love that movie so much.

I finally saw House of Flying Daggars. I didn't like it either. I though the cgi was bad and the whole movie was slow. It wasn't as visually stunning as Hero and the story wasn't nearly as captivating as Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon.

I saw Amityville Horror. It was pretty good for a stupid horror movie. It was definitely one of the scarier ones I've seen lately.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby stateofflux » Wed May 11, 2005 7:07 am

maybe there's a bit of a cultural difference here. I think that the odd humour of Hitchhikers guide is uniquely British, and comes from a long tradition of wackiness starting with Fawlty Towers, Monthy Python, Dr Who etc. So I guess you have to appreciate the style to appreciate the guide to the galaxy movie.

See, I didn't enjoy Napolean Dynamite too much. I think that was down to a lot on in-jokes about US culture, and the same is true of hitchhikers guide.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Wed May 11, 2005 9:11 am

I thought hitchhikers had been transfered pretty well to the big screen. Loved the vogens, ford and arthur. But have to admit trillion was a bit dull. Would recommend it as an easy going movie. Stephen Fry was an excellent choice as narattor.
littlegirlbunny

Postby willpeavy » Thu May 12, 2005 3:50 pm

I just saw a preview for "Kicking and Screaming" with Will Ferrell as a soccer coach. It looks good to me, Farrell is a funny dude.

(Also, I remember a more indie style film called Kicking and Screaming that came out around 10 years ago, that was in no way related to the new one coming out this weekend.)
willpeavy

Postby Cuguacuarana » Fri May 13, 2005 12:42 am

[quote="Rochelle"]maybe there's a bit of a cultural difference here. I think that the odd humour of Hitchhikers guide is uniquely British, and comes from a long tradition of wackiness starting with Fawlty Towers, Monthy Python, Dr Who etc. So I guess you have to appreciate the style to appreciate the guide to the galaxy movie.

I am fully aware that british comedy is its own brand of silliness. But I love british humor. I love everything Monty Python ever did, I love Fawlty Towers and I loved Douglas Adams' books. I just didn't think the movie did it justice. I also just thought it was boring.

I don't think The Hitchiker's Guide is akin to Napoleon Dynamite in terms of cultural humor. I would venture to guess that I am close to equally removed from rural Idahoan culture as you. I think I related more to the nerdiness of the character, having grown up around a lot of nerds. A lot of Americans didn't like Napoleon Dynamite. I think its just because its slow paced and a little weird.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby stateofflux » Fri May 13, 2005 7:58 am

Interesting. I didn't find Napolean weird or slow, just plain boring. For me is was just a more self-conscious version of any traditional 'nerd' movie.

So just out of interest, what sort of movie would be akin to say Monty Python in terms of cultural humour?

I was racking my brain trying to think of American comedy/satire that I have really liked and all I could come up with is Bill Hicks.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby offense74 » Fri May 13, 2005 9:45 am

JP - Bubba-hotep is one of the best movies I've seen, it's awesome.
Also, check these out:
Twilight samurai (Japanese):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351817/
Edi (Polish):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338949/
I Stand Alone (French):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157016/
and of course:
Harold and Kumar go to white castle (US):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366551/

The first three is to make you feel things :? . The last one is about nothing whatsoever and that's what make it so good.

I think I have saved them all, so if you can't find 'em in your local videoplace I can put them up on a Bittorrent tracker.

"The surest way to happiness is low expectations."
offense74

Postby tylerm » Sat May 14, 2005 1:48 am

I forgot about Bubbahotep, that movie was great! Bruce Campbell was a great choice for that role. Anyone like the Evil Dead movies?

I really like Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle as well, that was a funny movie

I saw Hitchhiker's Guide opening day with my dad and english stepmom down in Texas. They bought me the books when I was maybe 12 or so, and I have loved them since. They also got me into Monty Python from as long as I can remember. I remember watching Meaning of Life and having no idea what sperm were ('every sperm is sacred...') :D
tylerm

Postby Cuguacuarana » Sun May 15, 2005 2:04 am

[quote="Rochelle"]
So just out of interest, what sort of movie would be akin to say Monty Python in terms of cultural humour?

I was racking my brain trying to think of American comedy/satire that I have really liked and all I could come up with is Bill Hicks.

Thats a good question. Bill hicks is awesome by the way. I think the best example of classic american comedy is the early cast of saturday night live if you are familiar with them at all. (please forgive me I am certainly going to mis-spell some of their names) Bill Murrey, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Jon Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Richard Pryor, etc. all did a lot of work that I would say is representative of American Comedy. The National Lampoon movies like animal house and all of the family vacation movies with Chevy Chase are good examples (European Vacation, Vegas Vacation, etc). Steve Martin Movies are classic, as well as the Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder movies (which admittidly I have not seen many of). Blues Brothers and Caddy Shack are classics as well. More recently, Mike Meyers and Dana Carvy did Waynes World. This is sort of my generation of american comedy. All of Mike Meyers' stuff like So I Married an Axe Murderer, Austin Powers, etc. are all typical American comedy from my generation. These days, in my book, there is not much good comedy out in the US. In terms of sitcoms and things, Seinfeld, Rosanne, The Simpsons, Cheers, Bill Cosby, etc are all pretty representative of American comedy. Robin Williams has done some pretty famous stuff.

Oh, I almost forgot. Mel Brooks has done a lot of silly slapstick stuff. History of the World Part 1 is good. I also really like Spaceballs which is a spoof of the Star Wars trilogy. Its kind of dumb though. Mike Judge's movie Office Space is really good. Its one of my favorite movies. The Coen brothers are good. I really like The Big Lebowski and Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Tyler, I love Evil Dead Two and Army of Darkness. I think Two is my favorite because its so absurd but it doesn't come off as a joke like Army of Darkness.
Austin

Cuguacuarana

Postby JP » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 pm

Richard Pryor is at least a veggie and strong animal rights supporter. He sent a letter to SHAC campaign and said "Shut down the motherfuckers!" talking of Huntingdon Life Sciences :lol: And this during the time when things were heating up against SHAC and all people were deserting them because the going got a bit rough ;)

But the latest movie which we finished watching just a minute go and i am very, very hyped up by it:

The Take

http://www.nfb.ca/webextension/thetake/

A documentary of the argentinian workers who run occupied (or should we say reclaimed?) factories following the economic meltdown. Answers the essential question which is always posed at people who do not believe that the current dog eat dog cut throat capitalistic model is the only possible way: "Do you have any alternatives". It follows the struggle of workers in couple factories from typical capitalist boss run struggling factories towards worker run cooperatives where everyone gets paid the same and people are in control of their workplace.

Beautiful, touching, gives loads of space to the workers to explain whats up, and gives alot of food for thought. Differs from many other political movies in the way that it doesn't only nag about whats wrong. This baby talks almost solely about what can be done about it!

Essential film for everyone!

(we can show this during the veganfitness week in the movie night if people are interested. We have access to a projector)
JP
Site Admin

Postby JO » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:45 pm

sounds like a good idea for movie night, JP! :)
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby J » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:03 am

Yeah I'd like to see that. But let's not spend too much time watching movies. I'm not paying 950 for 7 days to watch movies. I do love movies with a political message though. JP, have you seen any John Sayles moves? Like Matewan, or Men with Guns?

Lately I've seen:
Final Fantasy-neat idea. But they used these weird video game animated charaters who couldn't really show facial emotion.

Star Wars-Blah. But then a tough movie really to make. Showing someone go from good to evil in a believable fashion in a mainstream movie would be really hard I guess.

The Life Aquatic-the music made it work. Very different.

The Aviator-about Howard Hughes. Guy playing Howard was sort of miscast I thought but still pretty well done. Really liked watching him lose it. I love unhappy endings in movies. Really liked Kate Blanchett in this one and the Life Aquatic.

Kinsey- I love movies with Liam Neeson. The only bad movie he's done is that Star Wars crap.

And I love all that british humor Cugu. In the US there's not a bunch of stuffy people to make fun of though so there's nothing really like Monty Python. Also you can't make much fun of religion here and still be mainstream.
J

Postby fredrikw » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:48 am

[quote="J"]Yeah I'd like to see that. But let's not spend too much time watching movies. I'm not paying 950 for 7 days to watch movies.

check out the schedule J, it's not 7 days of movies but one movie night.

I actually think that DiCaprio did a really good job in The Aviator, he is actually a rather skilled actor, just that he's constantly being miscasted in bad movies... He was brilliant in Gilbert Grape, and did a good job in Catch Me If You Can as well.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Culture