My first animal rights book

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My first animal rights book

Postby Superflor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:16 pm

So I just finished Gary Francione's, "Introduction to Animal Rights-Your child or the dog?" I found it heavy going at first (as there seemed to be a lot of philosophical content at the beginning) but as it progressed I found it quite useful as it covered a lot of the different issues.

I found myself skimming over theoverly legal parts but found the common questions and answers section at the end was also very good..

I'm glad I read it and thinking what to read next. Maybe something ecofeminist? I dunno. I don't really want to read Singer having read what Francione said but if there're any current books that people recommend, I'd be open to suggestions.
Superflor

Re: My first animal rights book

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Singer is worth a read just to get a different viewpoint. His Animal Liberation is what originally motivated me to be vegan. I prefer Francione's stance, but being balanced never hurts! I also hear Tom Regan puts out some good books, and I enjoyed Matthew Scully's book, Dominion, if you want to hear a religious perspective on the issue.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Re: My first animal rights book

Postby Superflor » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Ok, fallen_horse. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be in Northern Ireland over Christmas so might have a look in the Waterstones in Belfast.
Superflor

Return to Culture