[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - tv serie recommendations?

tv serie recommendations?

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: tv serie recommendations?

Postby etherspin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 am

at least we know it actually happened and it wasnt alluded to !
etherspin

Postby skoptic » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Goob - if you like the secretary in LIfe's Too Short, check her in "This is England" (film & subsequent TV series) .. pure drama gold, but maybe not if you didn't grow up in UK in the 70's & 80's

If anyone is into very dry satire, Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror (3 separate hour long dramas) are some of the best made in the last 10 years.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Goob » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:20 am

[quote="skoptic"]Goob - if you like the secretary in LIfe's Too Short, check her in "This is England" (film & subsequent TV series) .. pure drama gold, but maybe not if you didn't grow up in UK in the 70's & 80's

If anyone is into very dry satire, Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror (3 separate hour long dramas) are some of the best made in the last 10 years.

I didn't grow up anywhere in the 70's and have never even been to the UK, but I'll check it out.
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby sosso » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:30 am

I just watched This is England 86 and 88. Thought it was great. Both pretty full on and a bit bleak, like the film, but I would watch both again. Set during the mod revival of the mid 80's and didn't focus on the skins at all really..was more focused on the relationships between the characters than the culture or politics of it all.
sosso

Postby baldy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:18 am

[quote="sosso"]I just watched This is England 86 and 88. Thought it was great. Both pretty full on and a bit bleak, like the film, but I would watch both again. Set during the mod revival of the mid 80's and didn't focus on the skins at all really..was more focused on the relationships between the characters than the culture or politics of it all.

If you are into that kind of genre you should check out this movie Pure, totally full on and bleak. The opening scene will just break your heart -> and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308772/
Ignore the fact Keira is in it, she only plays a fairly minor role.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 am

Just start watching the Dirk Gently series on BBC iplayer. I am huge Douglas Adams, the series is remarkably well done, probably better than the H2G2 movie. Feels like some of the dialogue is lifted straight from the book but the plot has current events woven into it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliDPdtunls[/youtube]
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby etherspin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 am

Sons of Anarchy is entertaining , plenty of vegan references in that its the biker gangs definition of a weakling.
etherspin

Postby skoptic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Only just checked back in on this ... will check Pure, I fucking loves bleaks...

Dirk was good - only caught a couple, but it was one of my favourite books when growing up. I think I'll get hold of all of them - well reminded :)

Not sure if anyone has seen Wilfred, great low-fi comedy about a girl with a dog, where the dog is played by a man in a dog costume. Might be an acquired taste (check the Aussie version, US version is a bit more.. well US)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby captain caveman III » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Filthy, Rich and Catflap is great for laughs, that's if you enjoy farty, burpy knob-gag humour though. Unfortunately, only one series of six episodes were made, back in 1987. :(

Bottom is also very funny, it's the last comedy that i've actually cried laughing at. :lol:
captain caveman III

Postby Koa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Breaking Bad.

Curb your enthusiasm.
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Postby blinki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm 6 episodes into Hannibal just now and really liking it but then I saw Silence of the Lambs as a kid and don't remember the story. Though the one person I know who's watched it and remembers the films likes the TV series better, saying this Hannibal is more subtle.

Before that watched Orange is the New Black. One of the few things I've found proper laugh out loud funny in a while but also semi-fluffy crap but also sort of got some depth.

Disappointed in the new series of Dexter so far, stories and characters don't seem as smooth, it almost feels like they are rushing to fit things in.
blinki

Postby Linnéa76 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Ah, Hannibal! I'd forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. I need something to fill the void now that Dexter, as you said
is a little disappointing and True Blood is just plain ridiculous.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Cade » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Just finished "Deadwood". Really good. Others that may interest you are:

The Mentalist
American Horror Story
Person of Interest
Hannibal
Bates Motel
Pushing Daisies
Orange is the New Black
Cade

Postby pinto » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 am

Yeah I've watched Deadwood too on dvd I thought it was great too.

Just started watching the Tomorrow People, was curious what it would be like as I enjoyed the tomorrow people as a kid even though I have only very vague memories of it. Anyway seen two episodes of the new one so far and liking it.

The only other series i'm watching at mo is The Walking Dead but Dr Who is cool when its on. Dr Who scared the hell out of me and my sister when we were little it got to the point where it was an act of courage not to turn off the telly before the theme music finished :lol: The scariest story for us was the one with the killer shop maniquins (sp?).
pinto

Postby mo! » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 pm

mo!

Previous

Return to Culture