death/black/dark metal

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby benzilla » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Portal - http://www.myspace.com/portalxiii
Not your average death metal band, check it out for something different, but in a sort of intelligent way!

I've mostly been listening to Grave, Macabre, Exhumed, Impaled and Immolation for this style of music.
benzilla

Postby tempehmomma » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:30 am

Death - The Philosopher ( Live In L.A. )
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-HsFTLUk8
tempehmomma

Postby runrevolt » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:38 am

You are all fired from listening to death metal...hell, music period, for not mentioning the most timeless and intense metal bands of all time...AT THE GATES!!!

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?! At the Gates!!!
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby wannalift » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:49 pm

there are some really good american black metal acts going right now. they probably don't get much respect in Europe, but they are pretty damn good.

-Wolves in the Throne Room; just saw them last month, very good.
-Weakling (old)
-Leviathan
wannalift

Postby cyan.id » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:05 pm

I was a real Black Metal enthusiast back in the day, nowadays moved to post-metal like Isis, Neurosis and the like. Seems like the only bands that get any decent playing time on my stereo are the Finnish BM band Enochian Crescent and Emperor. The first mostly for the lyrics, they seem to have the most intelligent and profound texts the scene has to offer, and the latter for the music - though the lyrics got considerably better since that awful Nightside Eclipse, although the music was great on that one, too. Well one could argue about the genre-defining concepts they had on that album but I'm glad you can't really hear what Samoth is screaming about black wizards and whatnot.
cyan.id

good things i've been digging lately

Postby fist of doom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:44 pm

winter makes Death/Doom seem a little more relevant

Plague Bearer
Mouth of the Architect
Raise the Red Lantern
Graves at Sea
Lair of the Minotaur
Deathspell Omega
Impaled Nazarene*

Stonerrock.com has a great free M3 jukebox. mostly stoner rock (hence the name) but a lot of great black/doom/death/post metal as well

*disclaimer -bad politics/great music
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." -Charles Bukowski
fist of doom

Postby ActivePaul » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:05 pm

Not really my type of music but I've got CD's from Dimmu Borgir, Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Cradle of Filth and some other crappy death metal :)

I'm more into hardcore-punk like mostly vegan straight edge bands: Gather, Earth Crisis, Eye of Judgement if it is based down on guitar-music headbanging jumping around crap...
ActivePaul

Postby Muay Jin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:37 pm

shit, have you heard the new Watain, its fucking nuts =)
I'm a bit jaded over black metal these days, they've lost something.
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby puppydog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:09 pm

if Enslaved counts, i've been listening to them a bit lately.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby ironman d » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:30 am

I pretty much grew up on Swedish/Finnish death metal in my teens plus of course death metal from other countries. Them tape trading days of the early 90's were fuckin golden to me! Always prefered death metal over thrash, but of course can't beat some thrash stuff too!

Here's what Finnish DM i've been playing recently with usual myspace links...
DEMILICH (never got too much into their album, but the demos were ace)
www.myspace.com/demilich

LUBRICANT (had a slightly different style than others, but Nookleptia is still great)
www.myspace.com/lubricantnokia

ABHORRENCE
www.myspace.com/abhorrencefinland

Whoops, edited cus i nearly forgot 2 greats.
ADRAMELECH
www.myspace.com/adramelechfinland

DEMIGOD
www.myspace.com/demigodband

Vomiturition & Pestigore knocked out some decent demo's/7''s aswell. Early Xysma was good too, but i thought they went shit.

Other stuff...

CREMATORY
www.myspace.com/crematoryswe

DETERIOROT (Usa)
www.myspace.com/deteriorot

FUNERUS (Usa)
www.myspace.com/funerus

TYRANT (Celtic Frost/Discharge)
www.myspace.com/officialtyrant
ironman d

Postby Technotiger » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:12 am

I started to listen black metal as teenager more than ten years ago. I'm happy to notice it's 2008 and I'm still enthuastic about it. Eventhought I'm listening and creating lots of other stuff as well.

My recommendations:

Immortal (nor) - Blizzard Beasts
Ulver (nor) - Nattens Madrigal
Blut Aus Nord (fra) - Work Which Transforms God
Velvet Cacoon (us) - Genevieve
Abyssic Hate (aus) - Suicidal Emotions

If you like stupid, ignorant, right-wing lyrics, then black metal is number one gendre for you. That's why I don't usually bother to read the lyrics, it somehow flatters the feeling of music when you realise what kind of idiots are playing it :)

When I was fourteen I watched this Immortal video every morning before I went to school:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aZcgMmx ... re=related
Technotiger

Postby Seitanist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:35 pm

omar tan wrote:if Enslaved counts, i've been listening to them a bit lately.

My band played with Enslaved a couple months ago and honestly it was kind of boring. They also took up the entire stage with their backline so we were crammed all the way to the front. Regardless, they still have a good presence in the black metal scene, even if their new stuff is hardly black metal at all (much like the new Dimmu)

I love all the old stuff too: Emperor, Dissection, At the Gates, but I really think Behemoth has it going on right now. They are getting "huge," but for a reason. Their live shows are incredible, their music is well-written and intense, and they have great lyrics/ideology. Definitely one of my favorite black/death bands out right now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6c_4fRJph7s
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Postby Seitanist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:43 pm

A few more new "gems:"

Keep of Kalessin: formed by Satyricon live members - fast, brutal black metal. http://www.myspace.com/keepofkalessin

Panopticon: project started by a friend of mine. Lo-fi, melodic black metal in the vein of Xasthur, Tsjuder, Darkthrone. Very political. http://www.myspace.com/panopticonation

The Breathing Process: A bit of the 'core influence, but excellent recording quality and very symphonic. For fans of Cradle, Dimmu, and keyboards.
http://www.myspace.com/tbp

Yyrkoon: No one has ever heard of this band (maybe because they're from France) and it's too bad because they are awesome. Nothing too crazy here, no sweeps or singing, just mid-tempo chugging death metal with some excellent hooks.
http://myspace.com/yyrkoon
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Postby art to choke hearts » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:48 am

i just saw wolves in the throne room. they are good, i had never heard of them. great show.

love all the bands you guys have been listing. some more american bands i like are zoroaster, kylesa, and big business. black cobra, torche, cavity, i could go on, but i won't.
remember to do nothing when you don't know what to do.
art to choke hearts

Postby becka123 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:14 pm

The only bands I have albums of that could fall under those definitions are Justice Department, Cattle Decapitation and I find Eye of Judgement much more metal orientated than some other bands. Its all abit to heavy for me :?
becka123

PreviousNext

Return to Culture