Running can be a pain in the...

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running can be a pain in the...

Postby Strix » Tue May 11, 2004 2:48 am

foot! Aye! I don't know how this happened, but I have this terrible soreness on the bottom of my foot. "Sore" is the best word I can think of to describe it. I've never had foot problems (just occasional strains...) and this seems to be lingering.
Does anyone know if this can be a symptom of some condition? It is just below center (my right foot) -- I'd say close to my heel in the softer part of the arch. I recently noticed what feels like a knot, similar to when one has knots in the back or shoulder from tension, etc.
does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Argh! My aching feet :cry:

Hey, Everyone! Nice to see you all again :wink:
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby pandiriver » Tue May 11, 2004 1:53 pm

do you wear proper running shoes? :roll:
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Re: Running can be a pain in the...

Postby Blaz » Tue May 11, 2004 2:02 pm

[quote="Strix"]
does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Does it not sound familiar to anyone?

I had the same problem, yes. It takes about 2 years to heal completely (it's the bone connections, I think). It doesn't happen if you run on your fingers or on soft terrain.

Avoid running on hard terrain, especially roads (!). I did it (I run to school every day - 5km road- and everywhere else, with a heavy bag on my back, because my bike and my rollers were stolen) and I hardly imagine doing this for some years without getting serious trouble.

Walking barefoot on a variable terrain (not plain and hard) such as grass will probably help you to heal faster.

Be careful how to run! Good luck, Blaz
Blaz

Ouchin!

Postby Oak » Tue May 11, 2004 2:16 pm

Yeah, i've sore feet a plenty.

I don't know what you condition is for sure but it sounds like it could be an aggrivated problem. If it's really serious then, apart from giving it a decent rest, i would go see a doctor. When it goes away break yourself back in easily to your running

I think the most common probs are shin splints, plantar faciitis and bruising.
I had Plantar faciitis quite recently through running with old trainers on.

If you haven't already, i would suggest going to you local running shop and take along your trainers. Ask if they could check for pronation and stuff and what kind of trainers you need. They should be able to identify any areas with too much stress of lack of support.

Running makes me sick, but i just love being fit + being able to run while not being out of breath is one of the most wonderful feelings :)

Oak :D
Oak

Postby Strix » Wed May 12, 2004 7:04 pm

Pandiriver, I don't believe my shoes are the problem, but, thanks for reminding me that I'm going to be needing a new pair soon :)

Blaz, damn! I was hoping it wasn't the concrete running :(. I do know how bad it is...I really need to move back to the beach :cry: Running on the sand had me healthy and in the best running shape of my (short :P) life. It's been -- let's see -- ack! Wow, it's been 4 years running on concrete, almost everyday :shock: (Plus running on concrete for years before moving to the beach!) I'm living in the city again and don't really know what I can do about running on softer ground :(

Oak, what is plantar faciitis? Sounds terrible! You know, I hate asking employees at shoe marts because, one, they seem to just want to make a sale; and, two, it's hard to tell if they are not just BS'ing and don't really know what they're talking about. Plus lots of youngsters in those jobs :) So you think it's just soreness? I suppose it's the little nodule that got me worried.
Running makes you sick??!

Thanks for the responses, guys! :)
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu May 13, 2004 6:20 pm

Hi Strix,

Plantar fasciitis is an irritation of the membrane linking the front and back of the foot, and it can be quite nasty. I had it last year and it took a couple of months to heal completely.
Suggestions:
Make sure you warm up & stretch properly whenever you run
Try putting an icepack on the sore area for ten minutes or so a couple of times a day
Oh, and definitely try and find a proper running shop to buy your shoes, I don't know what it's like in the US, but here in the UK the staff in normal sports shops know absolutely jack-shit :wink:

Take it easy & best of luck
ultra_whippet

Postby Strix » Fri May 14, 2004 5:02 pm

thanks, skinnywhip :). Yes, the shoe shops like to hire teenagers who don't know much about shoes here too. :P
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Lucyxolu » Fri May 14, 2004 5:22 pm

Responding to : Yes, the shoe shops like to hire teenagers who don't know much about shoes

Have you tried going to a store called Fleet Feet? I don't know if they have one in your area or a speacialty running shoe store. I go to one in Maryland and they are very knowledgable. For me, they measured my foot and I found out that my left foot is 1 inch bigger than my right! Then they video taped me in my old running shoes to look at my form and I found out that I am an overpronator, hense the reason my shins were hurting. They fitted me for a better sneaker and was able to take them out for a run to see if I liked them and if they were fixing or minimizing the problems I was having. :)

Responding to: Sore feet

I had a friend who ran on the front of her feet (ball of her feet? Not sure if that's right) a lot. The pressure from her constantly landing on the front of her feet caused her feet to always be in pain and sore. :shock:

Lusia :wink:
Lucyxolu

Postby Blaz » Fri May 21, 2004 10:44 am

[quote="Strix"] I'm living in the city again and don't really know what I can do about running on softer ground :(

Hey, is there no recreation park or anything near your place? I know nothing of LA, but I imagine California as being covered with parks of all sorts. In my city (which, I admit, has much less than million habitants) the worst scenario is having to bicycle for ten minutes to get in the forest or large recreation park. I used to bicycle for five minutes in the morning, to a forest-covered recreation park (about 10 square kilometres) and running there for three quarters of an hour.

AVOID CONCRETE at all prices! :!:
Blaz

Return to Vegan Runners