Rain or Shine

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Rain or Shine

Postby surfvegan » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:52 am

I remember the days when if the weather was a bit murky I would not even dare go for a run. But now, being in training, I am going to have to run in the rain when it comes. I was holding out hope beyond hope that this would not be the case for tomorrow's long run, but alas, the rain has even come early and it is currently already soggy out; the best I can hope for for is that the storm will rain itself out by the morning.

That was the point of the first part of the post - to bemoan my ill luck. However, I would like some advice for running in the rain if anyone has any. I don't have a rain running jacket (next on my list!) but I do have a (very dated) thin nylon pullover thing. Would this be good to wear? Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.
A vegan marathoner, are you crazy? Nope, not crazy, just healthy.
surfvegan

Postby chloe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:26 am

im just trying to think what i wear when its raining,..(its been that long!)
In Nz when it rained alllllll the time,i used to wear as little as possible, long lycra shorts and a singlet, that way you dont get any heavy clothes tugging on you, but it was generally warm there.
A hat might be useful, it helps you not feel soo drenched.
At the moment i have real ice problems! It slows me down so much, i fall over so often(though not for a few weeks now, touch wood!)
a little rain would be nice for the change!
chloe

Postby andyO » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:55 am

Hmm when it's raining I normally wear shorts (stops getting soggy running trousers) and a modern technical fibre top.

I don't bother trying to wear a waterproof top, as I then get just as wet from having sweat trapped on the inside (yuck), just try to wear something that will provide some warmth (in winter) even when it's wet such as the modern man made 'technical fibre' tops.

Basically, anything but a cotton t-shirt - ouchy chaffed nipples aren't fun!
andyO

Postby surfvegan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:40 pm

Thank you so much, I'll remember both of your suggestions for the next time. I ended up having to run in the rain and wasn't really prepared for it (it was clear when we started running) and so I was wearing a cotton sweatshirt and had cotton legging things under my running pants - I don't recommend it :lol: . But thank you again, becuase I'm sure that I'll be having many more sessions in the rain (although if you look outside right now you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone there was a downpour over the weekend :D )
surfvegan

Postby runner » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:19 pm

Think it depends on how cold it is. If it's nt cold and it rains i would not ware to much because wet cloths will only make it colder. I think polyester is ok.. I would not advise to use cotton.. this takes time to dry and will keep the swet and rain sticky to your body.

A rain jacked can also keep the swet in unless you buy a really good one..

how long are your long runs?
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby surfvegan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:19 pm

Right now the long runs are only (average) 6 miles, but they are steadily increasing and we will soon be doing 20
surfvegan

Postby runner » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:23 pm

I think the amounth off time in the rain, the intensity of your training are importand as well as the temperature and the wind.. I have usually more problems with hard windy weather than with a little rain..
runner

Postby surfvegan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:27 pm

thank you so much runner! what do u think is a good thing for running for about 4 1/2 hours in the rain at a moderate intensity? also, I have problems when it's windy too (it just cuts right through me!) what do u suggest for this? Thank you again! :)
surfvegan

Postby runner » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:33 pm

4 1/2 hour is extreamly long!! I don't even know marathon runners who do those kind off runs. Is there a special reason for your long runs? How does your trainingweek look like?

Is it cold when it rains?
runner

Postby surfvegan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:37 pm

We do REALLY slow LSDs so that's why we're running for so long, we don't run at our regular shorter distance paces.
I run 3 days a week on my own for gradually longer times (right now it's only 40-50 minutes) and then on the weekends we do our long runs together. Then once a week I have cross training, which usually involves cycling and body weight exercises. I also bike to school.
Yes, when it rains here it is COLD, well cold for me, it's usally in the 50s or 60s during the day when raining (sometimes a little colder).
:)
surfvegan

Postby runner » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 am

When i'm correct with the converter that's 10/ 15 'C

Do you train for any special event?

40/50 minutes is pretty ok specially in combination with the long run.. but it all depends on your goal.. and what you prefer

When you train with short sleeves there is some cream i used in england. I'll ask sw where to get it because i like to order it as well.

With those temperature i would recommend not to wear to many cloths because it might be more difficult to move. A good long tight and a runners shirt over a short sleeve thermo shirt should be more than enough i think. Be aware of your ankles.. short socks that leave a part of the leg uncovered are not good for cold days.. (runners socks are good to prevent blisters.. I don't get them at all from running with good socks).
runner

Postby surfvegan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Great! I have the socks at least and am planing on buying "underarmor" (i don't know if they have it where you are) to wear under shorts and my singlet.

We are currently training for a marathon in June. But along the way we're doing some other races (a 5k, 2 10ks, and a 1/2 marathon).

When I am done training with the team and it is in between seasons I may need to ask your advice for how to stay conditioned :oops: That is as long as you don't mind :)
surfvegan

Postby runner » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:02 pm

no problem!!

think i can help better on the <21km distance..

but know a little about longer races.

at the moment i train a beginners group
runner

Postby surfvegan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:33 pm

wow, that's so great! and thank you so much for all your advice so far!!
surfvegan

Return to Vegan Runners