Run Against Racism

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Run Against Racism

Postby stateofflux » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:49 am

I said I'd pass this on from a campaign supporting a woman and her children facing deportation from Manchester:

In May there will be the Manchester 10k fun run. The Samina Altaf campaign

article
http://www.asylumpolicy.info/samina.htm

is looking for people who will run for the campaign and collect sponsors to raise money. They will be running in RUN AGAINST RACISM T shirts. So if anybody is thinking of running or knows other people who are then send me a PM.

Any takers from VF?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby chloe » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:21 pm

is there more to this case? How is deportation anything to do with racism?
Id say it was more to do with the immigration policy, im sure shes not being asked to leave because shes pakistani! Im all for her cause, i think she should be allowed to stay on in britain considering her circumstances,but is racism the right accusation?
chloe

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:53 pm

To me immigration policies are by default racist. An unlimited number of EU nationals can enter the UK at any time, stay and are treated as UK citizens pretty much from the start. I'm Dutch and moved to the UK nearly 8 years ago. I've never had to report to any police station, was never asked nasty questions or treated in a derogatory manner because I look or spoke differently. I didn't move here because my life, my safety, health and sanity was at stake. I was simply bored in a safe country.
Not so for people outside the EU - who often look and dress diffeerently and have different customs. They often flee life threatening situations only to be treated as second class spongers in this and other European countries. That is racist.
I'm not gonna run for a tenner, but I'm telling you now, if people on VF are willing to sponsor me with some serious cash, I WILL get my lazy ass back into training!
Malcolms Billy

Postby Tarz » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:41 pm

[quote="Malcolms Billy"]An unlimited number of EU nationals can enter the UK at any time, stay and are treated as UK citizens pretty much from the start.

I'm speaking in general terms here, and not with specific reference to this particular case.

My understanding though is that the UK has reciprocal agreements with other EU nations?? Unlimited numbers of EU national's from a EU country could stay as long as they want in the UK, and in turn unlimited numbers of UK nationals could reside long term in that same EU state?

I don't belive that the UK has similiar agreements with Pakistan?

Basically, that's why in general terms it may be easier for EU citizens to settle here rather than from countries such as Pakistan.

Of course racism is also a factor.
Tarz

Postby Purrpuss » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Billy, consider yourself sponsered, with a £10 pledge. Anyone else ? :)
Supporting www.freshfieldsrescue.org.uk

When you look into their eyes and see yourself reflected, you see their world. Do they see yours ?
Purrpuss

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 pm

[quote="Tarz"][quote="Malcolms Billy"]An unlimited number of EU nationals can enter the UK at any time, stay and are treated as UK citizens pretty much from the start.

I'm speaking in general terms here, and not with specific reference to this particular case.

My understanding though is that the UK has reciprocal agreements with other EU nations?? Unlimited numbers of EU national's from a EU country could stay as long as they want in the UK, and in turn unlimited numbers of UK nationals could reside long term in that same EU state?

I don't belive that the UK has similiar agreements with Pakistan?

Basically, that's why in general terms it may be easier for EU citizens to settle here rather than from countries such as Pakistan.

Of course racism is also a factor.

You're right there, but still I think it's wrong. But anyway, to prevent this from running into a looong political debate (wrong forum!), WHO'S GONNA RUN AND WHO'S GONNA PLEDGE SOME MONEY????!!!! :shock: :D :D
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:36 pm

Oops, think our posts just crossed! Thanks Purrpuss (I think!? :roll: ). Any other takers??
Malcolms Billy

Postby JP » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:39 pm

£10 from JP & Rochelle pledged! :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:44 pm

[quote="JP"]£10 from JP & Rochelle pledged! :D

Each?? :twisted:
Malcolms Billy

Postby JP » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:09 pm

[quote="Malcolms Billy"][quote="JP"]£10 from JP & Rochelle pledged! :D

Each?? :twisted:

depends on the finishing time ;)
Strengthshop.de

Strengthshop Europe Facebook page in English

und in Deutsch
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:22 pm

Errrr, just found out that it's on the 21st, when the meet up in Edinburgh is. So I'm afraid I'll have to backtrack on the running thing :? Will pledge a tenner instead to whoever runs against racism :?
Malcolms Billy

Return to Vegan Runners