Bone study of vegan runners

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Tarz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:07 am

Hi Dave,

I'm not doing Bramley either - I just know that quite a few vegan runners are! Sorry to hear of your problems post Sunday - just a road race or cycling too? How did you get on? I much prefer trail running to pounding the roads, but sadly that is not always possible.........
It would be good to see your times on here - I remember LGB posted something about how fast you are! :wink:

By all means put my name down for the post-marathon meet-up. I'm not sure if I can definately attend so far in advance, but I'll be there if I can. :D
Tarz

Come and do the plod next year!!

Postby duathlondave » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:43 am

Hi Tarz
The problem (s) from sunday is really just DOMS as opposed to injury , though I am warey of a longer term knee problem (ACL gone completely, cartledge trimed a few times, leaves it a bit vulgnerable).
The race was actually a 19 mile off road run, The Meon Valley Plod. It became infamous around here (SE Hants) in 1997, first time, when 47 of the 200 starters were plucked off the course by ambulances and marshals with all sorts of problems. Hypo, fatigue etc. Weather closed in, directon signs were missed, people lost, going wrong way etc. But all survived! It now attracts over 400 runners and grows every year. I'd really consider recommending it as a vegan Runners/vegan fitness 'meet-up' event. It's now based at a sustainability centre and offers accomodation and meet up facilities too so could be a very good venue for a social weekend.
Very kind of LGB to say whatever she's said. Sadly I'm rather off the the pace I've managed before so quoting times may be more like history than reality!! As for the race I was 31st (2:47:58)... 30 places lower than I managed a few years ago. Asfor road times I only managed 1:21:40 for my last half marathon (Gosport in November)
Take care, dave/...
duathlondave

Re: Come and do the plod next year!!

Postby Tarz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:43 pm

[quote="duathlondave"]The race was actually a 19 mile off road run, The Meon Valley Plod. It became infamous around here (SE Hants) in 1997, first time, when 47 of the 200 starters were plucked off the course by ambulances and marshals with all sorts of problems. Hypo, fatigue etc. Weather closed in, directon signs were missed, people lost, going wrong way etc. But all survived!

That sounded an eventful run.

There's something like that every March near where I'm from - the Milford 21 over Cannock Chase in Staffs. Those kind of distances are a bit too much for me I think - I tried a 20miler once, atricious weather too, and collapsed at about 17miles, I didn't prepare for it basically....... :?

You take care too.
Tarz

Postby duathlondave » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:23 pm

Yeah i guess there's only so much you can get away with without the proper training (or at least someting towrds it). I imagine it was the pace that got you more than the distance. I always marvel at the tremendous depths people can dig to in terms of endurance when the need truely arises. For instance how far Africans walk , with kids too, to reach food / aid stations etc. Admitedly they're doing it at a walk ..but for 100's miles ......... Maybe they have a greater appreciation of what they're really capable of than us mere endurance athletes who like to think we know our stuff!!!

Please keep me posted re: race in Staff's, and I will you re: the Plod, which (for everyone else interested for next year also) is generally on the nearest Sunday to Valentines Day. Details will be / are surely on web site of Portsmouth Joggers. They are also hosting another multi-terrain race over two distances, Sept 17th, The Stansted Slog (13miles) and Slug (8 miles).
Dave/...
duathlondave

Previous

Return to Vegan Runners