Bone study of vegan runners

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Bone study of vegan runners

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:51 am

Dualathalon Dave has contacted me with reference to the below study. Thought some of you might be intrested in taking part.

[quote]I've been contacted by Heather Hinkley of BCOM (British College of Osteopatic(?) Medicine) in London. They're doing a bone study into Vegan Runners. So if you are a vegan runner interested in helping the study could you please make yourself known to her. Please! Cheers Dave/... C U all at Bramley in FEB and hope U R all running well!
Heather Hinkley hh@bcom.ac.uk 0207 4356464 x342

Could prove to be a useful study :)
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:59 am

would they be interested in non uk runners?
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:21 pm

[quote]would they be interested in non uk runners?

You may as well email them and see. Probably - I imagine the more numbers they have the better......
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:55 pm

I've send a mail and will wait for her reply
runner

Bramley 10/20 race

Postby duathlondave » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 pm

Anyone gotany idea whats happening about this race in a few weeks. Heard that VeganFitness were going to be there ...but who? WHO? Is there a Vegan rummers list up somewhere of how many are going there?
Grateful for any replies!
Regards, Dave/...
and Little bunny running person, just for the record it's duathlondave . :lol: duathlon is a sport that doesn't involve two pistols at dawn..but you were close! Take care!!
duathlondave

Postby fredrikw » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:22 pm

--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:57 pm

[quote]and Little bunny running person, just for the record it's duathlondave . duathlon is a sport that doesn't involve two pistols at dawn..but you were close! Take care!!

:P :lol:
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:36 pm

did not get any reaction on my mail guess they don't want people from other countries..
runner

Postby andyO » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:57 pm

They may just be busy, I mailed them and haven't had a reply either...

(mind you manchester is far from london too :) )
andyO

Bone Study /London Marathon post race party

Postby duathlondave » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:56 am

I don't think they are doing the study at London M, well certainly not taking a stall at the expo to do it. It would cost them a fortune (like Flora (ummmm they're not very vegan anyway) need the cash!). But i think they'll 've spoken with Heather (doing the study) and she's keen to do it sometime in the near future.
Talking of London ...............look out for a post - race / my birthday eating session at a cheap n cheerful vegan friendly place near the finish. Be good if we could meet up for chats then. Think there'll be a thread about this (anticipating IT help from LGB!) out soon. Diary it now!!
Dave/...
duathlondave

Postby runner » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:24 am

got a mail that they will be at london marathon and several vegan festivals
runner

Postby Tarz » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:25 pm

[quote="runner"]got a mail that they will be at london marathon and several vegan festivals

I got an email too from Dr Hinkley - they are probably NOT going to be at the London marathon. They were intending too, but they doubt they can because of limited funds.

They were scanning at the Essex and Nottingham vegan fayres in December, and will be at Bristol later this year, as well as other various festivals.

I think though you are welcome to pop in at the British College of Osteopathic Medicine in London ( Finchley Road ) if anyone ever happens to be passing. I'll try to call in some time, if not they are keeping my details on record for future reference.
Tarz

'who's running where /when!' ?

Postby duathlondave » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:02 pm

Hi Tarz
Reckon that's by far the best way to do the recruitment of subjects. london M would limit far too much AND cost the earth! Maybe if there's more talk between V runners, and Heather gets onto this site , then there's a good chance that we can meet each other ...and she can meet us! Maybe we need a need a thread/chat or whatever you call it , along the lines of 'who's running where/when'. May need a bit of techie know how to do that ...(LGB are you reading this???). To kick it off I'm at Eastleigh (hants) 10k on March 19th, Goodwood (w.sussex) duathlon April 16th ...and probably Totton 10k on April 9th. Rest to follow. And so where are you guys gonna be racing??
Regs, Dave/...
duathlondave

Postby Tarz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:10 am

Hi Dave,

I live in London, so it's relatively easy for me to call in on Dr Hinkley at the hospital. I agree though, maybe its better that a study was conducted with several runners all at once. I think the geographical dispersal of runners makes it difficult to do a study on more than a couple of vegan runners at an average race. However, if Dr Hinkley could attend say a 'target' event like Bramley on Sunday that would be worthwhile for her and us. Skinny Whippet/Runner/LGB et al - maybe email Dr Hinkley saying that a good number of vegan runners are congregating on Sunday? Reading is not too far from London after all.....

The festivals are probably a good idea, especially those that have Vegan Runners/Peter Simpson attending. It would be helpful if Peter could publicise that a bone study was due to take place in advance. I supppose it's best that we advise Dr Hinkley of the bigger festivals, i.e those that will have more people to conduct the study on, which are presumably London and Bristol?

My next race - Stafford Half-Marathon - March 19th. BTK - see you there?
Tarz

Hi Taez

Postby duathlondave » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:42 am

Hi Tarz
I'd put Dr HH in touch with Peter Simpon a while ago. Guess we culd get her to start a discussion on this site and that of Vegan Runners (if there is a specific one!). Have discussed at length with Dr HH various ways to eek out vegan runners and they seem to be thinking along similar lines so I guess all that can be done is being done.
So sorry I'm going to miss Bramley ...though I'm still having trouble walking from sunday. I've even started to question the wisdom of me doing long Road races ...left knee pain. Doesn't seem so bad off road.
Talk soon
Dave/...
ps ..if you live in London can I put you own as the first taker for the post Marathon meet up!!???
duathlondave

Next

Return to Vegan Runners