body fat, weight

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

body fat, weight

Postby Johnnyzen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:02 am

I am a vegan, 6 feet 2 inches tall, and I now weigh 202 pounds. I was thinner when younger.I used to run and jog more, and want to get back to that program. I am now 57. What is a good weight for me and body fat to be a pretty good runner? I would like to run 5 Ks occasionally, maybe even a 10K now and then, and perhaps run or jog 2-4 miles 5 times a week. I presently mostly walk, lift 3 days, do tai chi, and eliptical.

Also, is it good to eat 5 or six small meals daily? What is a good protein-carb-fat balance?
Last edited by Johnnyzen on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tofu: the better white meat!"
Johnnyzen

Postby runner » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:14 am

First off all good that you would like to run!!!

for an endurace runner 5k and more 185lbs (if this is the same as pounds) is the upper limit. Good runners might be a little lighter.. but i guess this good be a good goal to work up to..

5 times a week is a bit much.. i think i would recomend to try to have first quality and than quantity.. I would go first for about 2 or 3 quality trainings and if you stop to improve you can add some trainings

but your motivation sounds excelent!!!

good luck!!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Johnnyzen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks. Do you eat 5 or 6 small meals a day? What is your protein-fat-carb ratio? I have a personal trainer who recommends small meals. She is almost vegetarian, but eats more protein than I think is good. She includes high protein sources in each meal, which for her is tempeh, eggs, fish, occasional nuts, protein powders like soy or rice.

I presently do not eat that way. I am vegan, adn am trying to eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks in between, all vegan. I eat mainly brown rice, other whole grains, vegetables, some beans, a few nuts, seeds, sea veggies, and small amounts of fruit, some flax seeds, etc. ( modified Macrobiotic).

My trainer is very knowledgable in regard to what exercises and stretches will make me stronger, healthier, butI agree a bit on the protein thing. She is not carbophobic, but limits them some, especially refined carbs ( which is probably a real good idea) but I eat more whole grains and less of the real high protein foods, in accordance with Colin Campbell and the China Study.

My goal is to eat vegan but with optimal nutrition.
"Tofu: the better white meat!"
Johnnyzen

Return to Vegan Runners