Running and digestion

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running and digestion

Postby pinkgirl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:28 am

I have been 'off' running over the winter and doing lots of aerobics. Last night I got to the gym and my class was cancelled, the gym was heaving (new years resolutions, no doubt) so once I managed to get a treadmill I kept it! I did a moderately paced 5k (am not fast so wont give the time :lol: ) and considering how long it is since I have run, I was very pleased with how I felt. Thing is, soon as I had cooled down I needed to get to the loo rather quickly! I know distance running can do this, but this was only 5k. It was the first time I had run properly since going vegan, and wonder if part of the problem might be that food is being digested more quickly? Does any one have any advice at all?
pinkgirl

Postby runner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:36 am

I know the problem, but don't think it's the vegan food because big meat eathers have the same problem.. a 5k is for sure long distance.. recently i have been told to drink more before.. and other things i picked up are to do a longer warming up.. further i wrote that if you increase your traings in a short periode sometimes your stumach can not keep up with this..

it's a nasty part off running.. but it might go away there has been a discussion on this subject before on this site.. not sure what the heading was
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby pinkgirl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:09 pm

Hmm, so maybe it was because I had not run for ages? Hopefully it will settle in a bit then. I am hoping to increase my distances over the next few months (not worried at all about speed, its the thought of just running for a couple of hours that really appeals to me, lots of thinking time) but may stick to treadmill running until it feels 'safe'!

Any suggestions about the best things to eat/avoid eating? Since going vegan I seem to eat almost constantly or else I feel starving hungry! Im losing about 1lb a week too, so it seems I have finally found the solution to my permanant battle to keep my weight down.
pinkgirl

Postby andyO » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Hiya,

There's some info here about 'runners trots' :? I do like one of their solutions (cut out dairy!) although we already have... they also mention keeping properly hydrated. Drinking water may be more key when running on a gym treadmill as (I certainly) perspire more in a gym than outside.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/227.shtml#trots

Hope it helps!

I find this happens more for me if I have been drinking alot of beer the night before. :oops:

Andy
andyO

Return to Vegan Runners