Running for Fat Burning

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running for Fat Burning

Postby DougP » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:22 pm

Im sick and tired of having ALMOST six pack abs but having this little bit of fat left covering the bottom 2! Im determined to get rid of it once and for all, and running seems to be a great way to do it. However, I need some help in figuring out how long/ what intensity I should be running at to acheive this. So, anyone that can offer some input and advice, I would be very appreciative.

-Doug
DougP

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:18 pm

The amount of fat you burn actually stays fairly constant regardless of the intensity, the extra energy at higher intensities comes mainly from carbs. Having said that when you start off your body will tend to rely on glycogen more, and gradually switch to fat as the exercise duration increases - so you probably want to be doing at least 30 minutes at a time.
If you really want to burn up some calories then you could consider interval training, adding some shortish e.g. 2 minute intervals will utilize your anaerobic energy system which uses up calories far more quickly. A more intense workout will also keep your metabolic rate higher for longer after you've finished, so that should help with the fat burning too.
ultra_whippet

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:21 pm

so all those painful 40min runs i have done over xmas to make myself feel less guilty about the excessive continuous eating of sugary, carb-laden and fatty foods has been useless :?: :?: :?: :( :shock:
Fruitbat

Re: Running for Fat Burning

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:22 pm

[quote="DougP"]Im sick and tired of having ALMOST six pack abs but having this little bit of fat left covering the bottom 2!

just be glad u ALMOST have a 6-pack some of us dont have that (to be fair i could probably eat mroe striclty and get my body fat down but i love fod too much adn then get depressed and worn out if i do reduce calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Fruitbat

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:08 pm

[quote="Fruitbat"]so all those painful 40min runs i have done over xmas to make myself feel less guilty about the excessive continuous eating of sugary, carb-laden and fatty foods has been useless :?: :?: :?: :( :shock:

Nah, not at all 40 mins is a decent run, and any running is still tops for calorie burning - it's just the longer you go, the more fat you burn...

Anyway, you're the last person that needs to worry about occasionally eating lots, with your exercise levels!!!
ultra_whippet

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:13 pm

ahhhhhh operative word is "occasional" !!!! with me when away from my familiar enviroment and exercise regime - "occasional" becomes "continuous!"
Fruitbat

Postby gen » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:13 pm

I have lost 40 pounds in the last 6 months from just running. I feel great and look great too. I have gone from a size 14 to a size 4. But I still need to lose some weight on my thighs and calves. I have always had extra weight there even when I was a size 1 in my early twenties.

My question is what would you recommend? More hill running? Because I have just started doing more hill runs. I am running 4-5 days a week now. when I started I was running 7.
gen

Postby ultra_whippet » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:57 pm

Good going. I would say that the most important thing is to do the sort of running that you enjoy :D , but hill running is good as you will get some sort of interval training effect.
ultra_whippet

Postby andyO » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Hmm I read somewhere a few years back that a good fat burning workout is to run in the evening, have your evening meal then run again in the morning before having had any brekkie.
andyO

Postby runner » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:47 am

[quote]Hmm I read somewhere a few years back that a good fat burning workout is to run in the evening, have your evening meal then run again in the morning before having had any brekkie.

injury wise i would not recoment to do this.. even when you train a lot it's better to have more time between your runs..
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby bronco » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:10 am

[quote="shamen_x"]Hmm I read somewhere a few years back that a good fat burning workout is to run in the evening, have your evening meal then run again in the morning before having had any brekkie.

I dont believe it makes much difference when you run. Theoretically you might burn a little more fat if running in the morning because your insulin levels are low, but I believe the difference is not big enough to be worth taking into consideration.

Also, for fat burning, doing a bit of walking every now and then can also be quite effective.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Julle » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:42 pm

[quote="gen"]I have lost 40 pounds in the last 6 months from just running. I feel great and look great too. I have gone from a size 14 to a size 4. But I still need to lose some weight on my thighs and calves. I have always had extra weight there even when I was a size 1 in my early twenties.

My question is what would you recommend? More hill running? Because I have just started doing more hill runs. I am running 4-5 days a week now. when I started I was running 7.

Hi Victoria welcome!
Can your body stand for more running ?
If you are afraid to have some injury you should consider for example swimming or another activity, to do not stain legs/bones
Julle

Postby gen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 am

[quote="Julle"][quote="gen"]I have lost 40 pounds in the last 6 months from just running. I feel great and look great too. I have gone from a size 14 to a size 4. But I still need to lose some weight on my thighs and calves. I have always had extra weight there even when I was a size 1 in my early twenties.

Hi Victoria welcome!
Can your body stand for more running ?
If you are afraid to have some injury you should consider for example swimming or another activity, to do not stain legs/bones

Hey!

Do you mean more running as in longer distance or more days? Right now I run 4-5 days for 30 minutes at a time. On weekends I run longer.

When spring comes around I will increase my distance per run, it's just it is dark when I get up b4 work and after work and I really dont want to be running in the dark for long periods of time.

I know I can push myself farther and I am a confident my body can take it. I feel no pain after an 8k run. In the beginning yes big time, but I have built up good strength in my legs now.

So if running longer periods of time will make that last bit of weight fall off, then it will have to wait til day light savings begins again :)

g
gen

Return to Vegan Runners