Bluebell aka Happy Flower in full bloom!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Bluebell aka Happy Flower in full bloom!

Postby benyonthekenyan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:57 am

I feel I must post this topic as I am so proud of my wife, Bluebell (formerly referenced as Happy Flower).

Bluebell has been vegan for over a year although it was in her mind for a time before. In 2002 she broke into the senior scottish team and competed on roads and cross-country. Early in 2003 Bluebell was scottish indoor 3000m champion and was looking like making a big breakthrough. Unfortuantely fate stepped in with two stress fractures and nearly a year of frustration and doubt on the sidelines.

In early 2004 Blubell was making a comeback when, this time, a car stepped in and knocked her off her bike. She managed to not break any bones but suffered tissue damage and a loss of confidence. She then endured more frustration as when she returned in the spring her form was up and down and couldn't find the performances she wanted.

We got married in septmeber 2004 as bluebell turned vegan. On our return from honeymoon in india bluebell found she was struggling for energy, often feeling ill and demotivated. Her performances suffered further and in races where she should have been competing for the win she was making minor placings. We could only presume she had contacted a bug and she needed to 'see it out'.

Finally in spring 2005, two years after her first stress fracture, she started to show something of her potential by plaing 4th in the Scottish national and then 35th in the Inter-counties in nottingham. In the summer she returned to her pb of 16:52 for 5km on the track but unfortunately only once and struggled for form again.

Winter 2005 started well with a 14th place in the first national xc league followed by a more modest but solid 32nd place on a flat, fast european qualifying course.

Then....

On saturday Bluebell returned to Scotland in style dominating the West district finals in the manner she used to, controlling the race and leaving class athletes standing for pace and strength, at will. She has already competed for Scotland once this winter and, injuries aside, should be getting many more 'vests'. Basically, Bluebell is back and i am sure the resonance of this will be making waves.

I believe she needs applauding for her tenacity and determination at returning from her misfortune while also showing what can be done without animal suffering. This is why I felt it necessary to include this mini-bio on veganfitness.net as she is far too modest to blow her own trumpet. I think it is important we celebrate athletes like bluebell (Suzanne Benyon) and marathon girl (Fiano Oakes) as they are the figureheads for breaking down scepticism and the 'you can't perform without animal protein' attitudes.

So here's to bluebell an athlete and person of pure class who deserves all the success life will inevitably bring her.

BTK

Choose love
Seize each day with both hands and tell at least one person that you love them at least once.

* http://www.stokeac.org.uk/suzanne-benyon.htm
benyonthekenyan

Postby bronco » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:39 pm

That's excellent achievements, your wife ( and you ) should be proud :D!
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby benyonthekenyan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:42 pm

Thank you Bronco.
Seize each day with both hands and tell at least one person that you love them at least once.

benyonthekenyan

Postby buzz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:51 pm

Respect to your wife for all the hard work and perseverance. Good luck to you both in the future.
buzz

Postby andyO » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:07 pm

Yeah, congratulations to Bluebell, that is a great achievement!! A story that everyone can take heart and learn from.

Well done to you too Benyonthekenyan for supporting your wife and celebrating her achievements!
andyO

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:09 pm

Congratulations are definitely in order! Well done!
Fruitbat

Re: Bluebell aka Happy Flower in full bloom!

Postby Julle » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:33 pm

[quote="benyonthekenyan"] I think it is important we celebrate athletes like bluebell (Suzanne Benyon) and marathon girl (Fiano Oakes) as they are the figureheads for breaking down scepticism and the 'you can't perform without animal protein' attitudes........

Congratulations to her and happy that she's allright again!
"Perform" can all of us ...but it's important that people get that vegan food do not set limits for archieving very high performances as well :wink:
Julle

Postby benyonthekenyan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:33 pm

I have some appropriate news!!

Bluebell has just been chosen to represent Scotland again in Belfast in January. She is not sure whether she can, due to us moving house and other considerations but she is in the international frame again which is he most important thing!

I hope she can run because it means so much to her.

Whether she runs or not I wanted to let you know because of all your brilliant messages that obviously created the good energy for this to happen today.

On behalf of bluebell and myself - thank you.

BTK

benyonthekenyan

Postby Neil » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:26 pm

wow, that's fast. great to hear about the recovery, performances, national selection... congratulations!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." -H.G.Wells

http://www.funkdc.com
Neil

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:50 pm

[quote="benyonthekenyan"]
Bluebell has just been chosen to represent Scotland again in Belfast in January. She is not sure whether she can, due to us moving house and other considerations but she is in the international frame again which is he most important thing!

Awesome. Respect is most definitely due!
ultra_whippet

Postby runner » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:25 pm

what a misfortune...

looks like Bluebell and marathon girl are followed by injuries

big respect for the fight back!!! and impressive results..

I'll try to get some of those times.. but it will be lots of work to reach..

respect

but to all vegans here who fight..

btw your own results are pretty good as well!!!

no chance for a meethup in february?
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby benyonthekenyan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:51 pm

Unfortunately it looks very unlikely runner. January, february and march are pretty busy with races and I have bad experiences of doing too much - fatigue, injury, demotivation. I will check with my clubs for league races (I think I have one that weekend) but if it fits in I will do my best to be there.

Bluebell and I will be making an effort to make it to a future vegan meet ups definitely. Whenever i am doing a big road race I will post it and maybe some people can make it to those.

I am really pleased to see your progress Runner, you are obviously very dedicated and deserve success.

BTK :D

benyonthekenyan

Postby runner » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:33 am

thank you for your nice words

guess there will be more runners meethings!!!

with veganrunners uk and veganfitness.net vegansport.org

we will create a big atlete comunity ;)
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Hi there

Postby bluebell » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:21 pm

8) Hi there it's bluebell here.

Just to say thankyou to my hubbie for being so kind in what he said and thankyou to all those who have posted such kind replies. I think it's great that vegans have such a good way of communicating and it's great to see there are so many fit vegans out there. Its definitely inspiring on those dark cold mornings. Anyway bye for now looking forward to using this ace website more often now.

Love Bluebell

xxx
Live the life you love
bluebell

Postby Tarz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:11 pm

Hi Bluebell. :D

Remember to love the life you live too!
Tarz

Next

Return to Vegan Runners