I need some advice...

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

I need some advice...

Postby marathonmike » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:41 pm

So I'm thinking of getting in a marathon in December in Las Vegas. I've been puttiing on some good mileage in the last few weeks (60-70 miles) and I've been doing alot of swimming the last week too (average 2 km. per day). I've got 9 weeks until that marathon. I would usually train for 16 weeks for a marathon but I feel that I could do well on this one. I want to break 3:10 so I can run Boston next April and this may be my only chance before then. If anyone can give me some feedback, feel free.
marathonmike

Postby Frostfire » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:47 pm

Hum, that would leave only ~16 weeks between the two marathons (Dec to April)? Do you have to do the Vegas one to qualify for the Boston one? I'm not a marathon runner so might not be the best for advice, but to me it sounds do-able, but also very taxing. It would be hard if anything else popped up in life to cause problems (job issues, relationship issues, etc, etc.), things would have to go smoothly until April or could mess up the training a bit.

Just my thoughts!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby marathonmike » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:09 am

My ultimate dream is to run Boston. But I need a good time to run it first. In a way I'm not too concerned about how I'd do in Boston, but more for the qualifier. It actually looks more like about 18-19 weeks in between since Boston is in the middle of April. I don't know. I really think I could commit myself to training. I was engaged just 2 months ago and now I'm single so I won't have relationships to worry about (any single vegan ladies out there??? hehe). I'm only in school too so I have the time to train. My only concern is the fact that Las Vegas is only 9 weeks away. Mind you after my run a half hour ago, I don't know if I can do this. I've had this nasty heel spur for a while. I thought it healed itself. I wear orthotics now too. But my heel is pretty darn sore at the moment. Time for an ice bath.....
marathonmike

Boston

Postby Marathon girl » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Hi MarathonMike, Marathon Girl here. I saw your posts and see your dilema. My advice would be could you look for a Marathon a little later than Vegas. I am basing this on the fact that your heel spur is bad and if the actual Marathon is only 9 weeks away you will have to start tapering in 6 weeks, which only allows you that time for hard training. If you push to hard on an injured heel you might end up not being able to run either. If a good time is what you are after to qualify for Boston and you are genuinely not concerned what time you run in Boston - just so long as you get there - have you thought about running a Marathon in late January instead of early December? Then you would have nearly 3 months recovery before Boston. I know this is not ideal but you sound young enough to recover quickly and, so long as you don't want to run a ridiculous time in Boston, I think it is perfectly do-able. I am not the greatest athlete in the world as I come from a cycling background, but I have run 2 Marathons in 2 weeks - one in Russia and the other in the UK. I ran the first one in around 3 hours and the second one about 15 minutes slower. Your body would have the miles in it's legs to cope with the mileage in Boston you probably just couldn't do all the speed work and intense mileage stuff you would do before your first race. If you were prepared to accept running slower, this could be a way round your problem. It's just a thought. I wish you well in whatever you do and hope your heal recovers quickly. :D
vegan power!
Marathon girl

Postby marathonmike » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:43 pm

Thanks for the tip. I won't be doing a marathon until next year. I'm back in school now. I have time to train but I need to rest this injured foot of mine. I've been swimming everyday for 4-5 km (80-100 laps) so that'll keep me in shape if not put me in better shape. I'm going to give myself two months off and then I can start training again. I'm going to run my hometown marathon in June of next year and kick some major butt. I need to break 3:10 to qualify for Boston but I know with some good training all winter and spring, I will break 3 hours. I just have to put my mind and body to it. Thanks for the reply Marathongirl.
marathonmike

Return to Vegan Runners