Miscellaneous Newbie Stuff

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Miscellaneous Newbie Stuff

Postby marguerite » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:07 am

I just started running. I have always wanted to but when I was an omnivore it seemed way too difficult. Now that my body is no longer clogged with all sorts of animal fat I think it is a lot easier for me. I was wondering: How long does it take to be able to run 10/12 miles at a time? At the gym I always have to stop and walk for a few moments because I feel exhausted, and my heart rate then is about 180 (I think it should be under 170 for my age) so I know I am not just being lazy. Also, how many times a week should I be running? Is every other day enough? I really like the runner's world website but in some respects it is not helpful especially their nutrition advice: "Eat plenty of lean meats and egg whites." Uh, no thanks. Well I have to go do my homework :( Thanks in advance for your advice.
marguerite

Postby Anarkaplupp » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:29 pm

I would say that in the beginning it's more important to build up a routine of running rather than aiming at a sertain amount of running. Twice a week for maybe 3 weeks is a good start. From there you can increase it to 3 times a week. Depending on what your goal is, you could either stay at 3 times a week or increase it. It's up to you.

If you have to stop and walk for a while, you are running to fast. Try slowing down a little so you can keep running the entire distance or time.

It's not possible to tell how long it will take for you to be able to run 10/12 miles (thats 16 - 20 km, right?). It depends on many factors, like how much you have been working out earlier in your life etc.
Anarkaplupp

Postby runner » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:52 pm

Hi marguerite,

when you train for speed it's okay to run and walk when you train for 10M
Anarkaplupp's advice is good. Think it's okay to start with 2 or 3 trainings. You can keep it this way until you stop improving. do you've good shoes?

Have fun and enjoy running!!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby marguerite » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:07 am

I think my shoes are... okay. Maybe even acceptable! They are about eight months old and a New Balance style which I don't know if it is intended for running. I bought them when I was not yet a runner so they maybe be crosstrainers. Thanks for your replies. Either tomorrow or Wednesday (it may have to wait for Wednesday) I want to take your advice and run slow enough so that I can go for 4 miles without stopping.
marguerite

Postby runner » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:38 am

For some people it can be a nice stimulance to run in a group (or with a friend)... but when you do this be aware of the diferences in speed, style,...

take care tomorrow
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Return to Vegan Runners