Heartrate monitor

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Heartrate monitor

Postby Anarkaplupp » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:39 pm

I bought a heartrate monitor from polar this summer and I changed my training quite a bit. According to the age/heartrate tables I'm supposed to have a HRmax at 197 bpm. But the built in test in my Polar s410 says my HRmax is 190. That wouldn't be any problem if it wasn't that I keep runnig at 80% - 90% for more than an hour whitout getting exhausted. And, I can't run very fast before it starts screaming my pulse is to high.
So, the question is: How can I test my HRmax "manually"? And is any one else familiar to this problem?

Ciao
Niklas
Anarkaplupp

Postby fredrikw » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:59 pm

yeah, according to my HRM should be around 185-190, but it's really around 210.

to aceive your max HR you should gradually build it up using intervals, going max for a short period, recover a bit, max again, recover etc. this can be really exhausting and shouldn't really be done alone and without professional monitoring, but I did it myself and I survived :D

there are lots of tests you can do on your own, Conconi test is another interestin test that estimates your lactate threshold (google for it and you'll find loads of info)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Anarkaplupp » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:02 pm

Ok, sweet. Will look for that. I was planning to check with my gym if they have some test one can take. Guess it's better to do it in a controlled environment... But now I feel I can to it on my own. *smile*
Anarkaplupp

Postby fredrikw » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:44 pm

another way is to use it and learn for yourself. after a while you'll know what HR zones you need to/can be in. that's how I do it.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xHULKx » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:34 pm

the heart rate alone doesnt tell you that much. you have to combine yor anaerobic Threshold with your heartrate to have a valid parameter for your training. the polar features like ownzone etc. is ok for "fitness" people, but not for serious running. anyway - as fredrikw wrote there is a way to "look for" your at - the conconi test. but its not the best way - you will read about it in the internet... i would recomend you to do a perfomance diagnostic and you will get reliable parameters to control your training.
xHULKx

Postby fredrikw » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:55 pm

I don't think it's a necessity, using a HRM regularly and learning how your body behaves in different HR zones can be as effective as getting an exact figure or range on a piece of paper. many serious top athletes have all this info, but still goes "by heart" when it comes to competition and training.

but if you have a chance, and the money since they will cost some money to perform, I'd say do them, the more we learn about our bodies the better :D
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:51 am

Aye, my HRM is essential in training and competition.
Dave Noisy

Postby Anarkaplupp » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:07 pm

Hi
I found an "easy" test on the web that might give me something to work with as a beginning. I post it here:

1. Calculate your HRmax by the formula 220 - age (for men) or 226 - age (for women).
2. Do a warmup for at least 10 min.
3. Increase intensity until you reach 90% of your calculated HRmax. Stay at that intensity for 2 min.
4. Increase intensity ones more for 2 min.
5. After those 2 min go for maximum speed during approx. 1 min.
6. You should now have reached your real HRmax. Do the test a few times more within a week. If the HRmax doesn't vary more than 2 - 3 bpm during those tests, you have found your HRmax.

So, what do you think?

Niklas
Anarkaplupp

Postby fredrikw » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:12 pm

sounds like a good plan. the key is to repeatedly increase your heart rate up to near max. I did it a bit less scientific, I rode my bike on a road with a series of small hills, and hammered up each as hard as I could, and noted how high I managed to get my heart rate.

go ahead and try it, my guess from what you write is that your max is at just above 200 or something.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Anarkaplupp » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:37 am

I'm on my way to the gym for the first test right now. Just dropped by to say that I forgot to write that the last min. push (5.) should be in a upphill slope.

Ok, post my result here in a few hours...

Niklas
Anarkaplupp

Postby Anarkaplupp » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:31 pm

The test didn't go all that well. I could only 40 sec. of the last min. Before it felt like I was going to faint or something and kind of panic. Didn't want to die on that treadmill...
But, the test wasn't all bad. At least I got to 198 bpm and the heartrate curve is just going up, up so I guess my HRmax should be above 200. But, I shall do a second test in a few days and maybe get a better value.

Niklas
Anarkaplupp

Postby fredrikw » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:53 pm

doesn't sound too good... having another look at the test you might try to increase the warm up to about 20 minutes, and then perhaps doing one or two biuld-ups more before trying to hit max. how did it feel when you where hitting te predicted 90%? perhaps you need to go a bit higher?

and please bear in mind, again, that doing an unsupervised max heartrate test might not be entirely safe.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Anarkaplupp » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:48 pm

I felt very comfortable at calculated 90% so I guess it wasn't 90%. I'll try a few more buildups next time. And start the final rush at a higher level.

Ciao

Niklas
Anarkaplupp

Postby Fruitbat » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:44 pm

i would worry too much about what your HR max is - through use you will very quickly get to know what kind of HR to expect for different exercises and levels of exertion... the max i have ever had is 195 but i know it could go alot higher - just i have never been pushed or pushed myself that far! When I run it usually stays in the range of 170 and I can run for 1-2 hours at that rate... you can turn the beeping off if it annoys you!
Fruitbat

Return to Vegan Runners