Knee pain - how to avoid?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Knee pain - how to avoid?

Postby abbie » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:44 am

I'm pretty new to running but am gradually increasing the distance I run. Generally I will run about 2 miles daily and then perhaps 3 at the weekends. Although this must sound like such amateur distances, I'm taking about a year and 7 months now to train for the London Marathon April 2007 and Great North Run in October. Long time away but I think the gradual increases might ease the pain on my body!!
But just to ask for some advice, I do get quite a bit of knee discomfort after or during a run. I have heard that this is quite common, especially when running outdoors on roads (which I do). Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this...would knee supports help? It is not such a problem at the moment, but I feel if I want to work up to marathon level then the strain will be much worse!!

Thanks!!
abbie

Postby bronco » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:55 am

I suppose you have a decent pair of shoes? Before I bought a good pair of shoes I got pain in my knee from running on asphalt.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby ultra_whippet » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:28 am

Can you tell us exactly where the pain is? Around/under the kneecap, or just below?
ultra_whippet

Re: Knee pain - how to avoid?

Postby GenTDuke » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:12 pm

When running out doors try and run on the ashfalt surface next to the pavment, this is lower impact and will put less presure on your knees. If there is no ahfalt surface and there are no cars around jogging on the road is a nice dangerous option I take sometimes.

Also like the other guys said make sure you have a decent pair of shoes, I spoke to a pediatrist about this, he reckoned only new balance and asics shoes were suiterble for running, as they are the only ones with sufficient padding; obviuoley you want new balance.
GenTDuke

Postby Frostfire » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:35 pm

I second what is said above, but also have a few other ideas you may want to consider.

I'd say a big NO to knee support. It will only weaken your knees and probably make the problem worse in the long run.

Are your quads strong? Quad strength can make a world of difference for you knees. Your knee joint is only as strong as the muscles that surround it after all. Maybe include some exercises to strengthen them into your routine, there are lots of options here. From using a swiss ball or a home gym to joining a gym and using the multitude of options they have there.

Are your hamstrings really tight? They sometimes can put a lot of pressure on the knee if they are too tight. Make sure you are stretching them good.

How's your running form? You may want to read up on some different ideas that reduce impact on your knees.

Are you warming up before going full-out before a run? Make sure your knees are warm before running! Think of a good warm-up as putting some oil in your knee joint.

What's the temperature like outside? When its cold, my knees always ache when I run unless they are covered. Maybe get some leggings in the cold/wet months.

Anyway, just my thoughts from my own experience with knee pain. Hope it subsides soon :D .
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Anarkaplupp » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:52 pm

My advise would be, first cheek your shoes. If they are older than 2 years or 2000km - buy new ones. If they aren't specially made for running - buy new ones. I bought a new pair just the other day and the saleswoman said the same thing as GenTDuke...

The second advise is to change your schedule. You should have at least one day of rest every week so that your body gets time to heal and build. If you have been doing this trainingshedule for a while and the pain started then, I would recommend maybe 5 days rest.
Anarkaplupp

Postby heatherhorton » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:34 pm

I have suffered with "runner's knee" in the past. I'm not sure if this is what you have but I bought new shoes with a curved last (for my feet anyway:>) and that made a BIG difference. Definitely check your shoes.
Also, incidentally, I started taking MSM lately to revitalize my hair...well, my knee doesn't hurt at all now! MSM is basically taken to help joints and it seems to be doing a great job on the hair AND the knee.

Best of luck!

Heather
heatherhorton

Postby not_a_slave » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:45 pm

[quote="Crystal"]
What's the temperature like outside? When its cold, my knees always ache when I run unless they are covered. Maybe get some leggings in the cold/wet months.

i dont know if you have this over in europe, but in america there is a company called under armour that makes very thin, very light weight clothing/tights for atheltes. they make special ones to keep you warm in winter, cool and dry in the summer. check it out.
...AND THERE WILL BE SORROW NO MORE
not_a_slave

Postby abbie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:22 pm

thanks guys. got some new road running shoes and they definately done the trick. I'm not longer getting knee or shin pain like I was and I've researched how to strengthen the specific leg muscles to ease the pain. Also, I run in shorts so going to swap to long trousers to stop me chilling.
Cheers for the advice
abbie

Postby runner » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:06 am

did you talk to mary as well? she had some off the same problems..

i had also shin and knee problems..

take action when you feel serious problems comming up..

good shoes are essential, but the ground you train on the way you walk and the sort off trainings can make a differnerce as well

try to train on grass/ sand as well if posible
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Return to Vegan Runners