hello fellow vegan runners

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

hello fellow vegan runners

Postby marathonmike » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:48 am

Hello everyone out there. I just stumbled across this website today and registered. I think this is such an amazing idea. I'm 29 years old and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I've been a vegan for about 12 years now. I've gotten pretty serious with my running in the last 3 years or so. Recently, I ran my hometown Manitoba half marathon (I had to step back from doing the full marathon due to heel spurs) in a time of 1:30:42. This was a personal best for me by 7 minutes. There were a total of 3,276 half marathoners and I came in 25th place overall. I was 2nd for my age group but 1st place overall for vegans. hehe. Right now, my goal is on breaking 3:10 in June of 2006 at my hometown marathon so I can qualify for Boston. My personal best for the full was in Berlin in 2003 (where Paul Tergat still has the world record) where I ran it in 3:35. I need to run about a minute per mile faster. I should be able to do it. I weighed about 175 lbs when I did that marathon and I'm down to about 150 lbs now. This has made a huge difference in my speed. One thing I'm going to do is really step up my mileage over the winter and continue eating a healthy vegan diet. Vegan Power!
marathonmike

Hi mate

Postby manchestervegan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum, I am impress with your performances. Do you also run in a club? Like yourself I am mad about running and the obvious keeping fit. I hope you will manage to get into the Boston, anyway keep us posted.
Enjoy 8)
VEGAN: FOR THE ANIMALS. For the people.

For the planet. Compassion & Non violence. MV19
manchestervegan

Postby marathonmike » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:15 am

Thanks. No, I don't run in a club. I just do everything on my own. I subscribe to Runner's World so I learn alot from them. I've also been a big follower of training programs from Hal Higdon. I've also learned alot about diet and training from Brendan Brazier (www.brendanbrazier.com). He's one of the best Canadian triathletes and just happens to be vegan. I've altered my diet alot in the last 6 months and I'm more energetic, I have less cravings for snack-type foods. It's really helped my performance. So I'm kind of undecided to do our provincial 10 km. championships in a few weeks here. I haven't done a 10 km. race all year and I know I should easily shatter my personal best of 41:12. I could probably get down to close to 38-39 minutes. We'll see how the next few weeks go. I'll keep you guys (and gals) posted on this one. I wish there were more vegan runners here in Winnipeg. I'm probably the only one or at least it seems this way.
marathonmike

Postby runner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:40 am

Hi Mike,

good that you joined this site!!!

could you post your times at the personal record section so we can see your progress? How many km do you run a week?

what kind of trainings do you do?

I'll save some questions..

but welcome!!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby littlegirlbunny » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Hi and welcome :D
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

welcome

Postby soniczip » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:57 pm

hi marathonmike! welcome aboard. i recently joined as well and already found answers to some questions. everybody is fantastic and willing to help.
i've been living in london uk for 3 years. my father is italian and my mother (french) canadian, so...

...viva il canada!!!

:D

see ya soon
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Return to Vegan Runners