in my search for...

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

in my search for...

Postby soniczip » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi Vegans!

In my search for products to eat and drink during my long runs (see my previous post), i ran into Science in Sport products such as "Go Elecrolyte" and "Go Bar". While the first is labeled as vegan, the second is not. The thing is that both contain Calcium Lactate which, according to Vegan Society dot com and its criteria for vegan food, is Possibly Animal-Derived. Does this mean that there are vegan Calcium Lactate and non-vegan Calcium Lactate.
Does anybody know for sure if Science in Sport products are vegan?

As Insted used to sing back in 1988: I'M CONFUSED

thanxxx

soniczip
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby fredrikw » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:03 pm

if they label it vegan I would expect it to be vegan as well, and just because something can possibly be animal-derived doesn't necessarily make it so. why don't you ask the company if the calcium lactate is really vegan? it they have bothered to label one of their products vegan I'd expect them to be fairly open about it.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:52 pm

It depends by which process the lactate, or lactic acid has been obtained. If it has come from fermentation of milk, then it obviously isn't vegan, but the same bacteria that produce lactic acid can produce it from other, vegan growth media. Same process, different substrate - exactly as in live yogurt and live soya yogurt.

It is possible that the company may not know as they might just be getting a big tub of calcium lactate.

Only way to find out is to call 'em up :)
Gelert

Postby Martin » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:39 pm

I contacted SIS before buying my first batch of Go Bars - they assured me the bars are Vegan
Martin

SIS

Postby soniczip » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:42 pm

Thanx a lot Martin. I tried GoElectrolyte and I found it nice. I'll try the bars as well.
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Return to Vegan Runners