Running technique

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running technique

Postby Oak » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:39 pm

Hi!

I have a dream of being able to do a 30min 10K.
I play the decathlon events in summer (I do it for fun) and one of my worst events is the 10.

Could someone explain some running techniques to me, such as the pose techniqe and how i can start practicing.
I need it explained quite simply as i'm a bit thick. :lol:

I have always just used my sprinting techniqes for running long distance.

Loose body, Jaw very loose.
Heel to bum.
Quick hip high front kick
Stay light, centre of gravity on hips.
keep on front of feet. Toes if possible.
Co-ordination between leg and opposite arm.
Big thrust forward with arms for propulsion.

Not that i'm any good at these techniques. :oops:

Oak :D
Oak

Postby prefab » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:58 pm

hey there

http://www.posetech.com/default.shtml

join the forum thread there they have many strings verbally describing the experience.

I'd have to say tho you sound like you're about there maybe adjust back to a forefoot landing instead of more on your toes like sprinting.

Keeping the impact low, avoiding heel striking out in front of the body, minimal knee movement. Heel pull to rear end, quick pop of foot off ground as soon as contact as made. keeping a vertical balanced line between head, shoulders, hip and knee. Slight forward lean so gravity is your propulsion not your pushing off the ground. Don't let heels hit the ground. The quicker forefoot strike means a momentary muscle contraction-where, on the contrary, fully impacting the foot allows all the downward force to fully load your legs and joints (not good).

I changed up this winter and it may take up to 3 months to get your connective tissue in your ankles and lower legs up to par. And, like all new things you'll actually run slower and feel like you're burning it up at first if you were a heel striker before..(doesn't sound like you tho). But soon your body will accomodate to the higher cadence and you'll begin to notice that your efficiency level has gone up and perceived effort for harder paces has dropped. GL friend! keep running for a lifetime!!!
prefab

Postby Mary » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:26 am

Hi there.

I am a foot pounder. I am aware of the fact that I run like I want to beat the earth into submission under my mighty tread. How long does it take to get it right?
Mary

comment on posetech

Postby prefab » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:27 pm

It takes 5 minutes of instruction to change your technique. It will take several months to get your feet/lower legs used to the same distances you may run now. Part of this is the transition you'll want to make from regular big heel stability shoes to racing flats. The racing flat is fast but relies upon your musculature to keep it all together. The "normal" running shoe is heavy and great for building strength in the hamstrings-but too supportive to allow complete and proper development of the feet/lower legs for pose running.

I started pose technique in November 2002 and my weekly mileage was 50-60miles. Last week was the first time I got back to 60miles, so I've spent about 4 or 5 months reworking my form and getting my ankles and lower legs up to snuff. During this time, my mileage has been from 20-40 miles with mixed usage of racing flats/regular shoes. Currently, I run about 80percent of my runs in racing flats up to about 15miles. Gonna continue my maintence mileage up to 18miles long run then gonna start moving toward strength and speed for the race season.

I'd keep all sessions under 30mins for the first few months especially if you convert to racing flats or less bulky shoes. Less weight on the foot and less cushion under your fore foot causes faster synapse/response times but at the same time if you're foot and lower leg are used to a huge cushy shoe with all kinds of support---you will experience a weakness that I doubt our non-shoe wearing ancestors ever had. For me and my girl, we had some ankle tightness under the ankle bone and I've had some soreness in my soleus, basically from going too fast/too far/too soon.

But what can I say, the running form felt great, and my perceived effort dropped dramatically after the initial "this feels like more work form." So be mindful of your connective tissue-and think of the transition like weights. You are moving from machines to free weights--one was controlled for you the other is not. :) Taking your time with this point will keep you on the path to good health.

p.s.- my avatar is old form but nowadays I get compliments on my run technique. I act modest with them, but it is something I work on by always doing several minutes of form/drill work with every run.

Key tips: a strong core will help keep your form together when you get tired.
out like a lion-slaughtered like a lamb---self-explanatory go slow to fast on your runs not the other way around.
RICE- rest, ice, compression, elevation

p.s.-It's pretty hard to find racing flats in stores even in specialty running shops. I use runnersworld.com --- or you can goto manufacturer's directly. At first, we'd reserve the flats for races (wonderful day-glo yellow and gotta pair that's flourescent orange too--lol) but now they are our primary running shoes. The bright colors are great for finding one another at events. I just tell my friends to keep an eye out for my feet as white t-shirts and bobbing heads are everywhere. lol GL out there hun---I wish someone woulda taught me this long ago--i've been missing out....
prefab

Return to Vegan Runners