Race pace non-improvement

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Race pace non-improvement

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:30 am

Help!

My magic training plan seems to be working wonders on my basal plod along speed, but my race speed (ie very hard pace) doesnt seem to be improving (based on this mornings run anyway). :evil:

Why? Is there anything more that can be done, or am i destined to run slow forever? :(

Any responses will be much appreciated! :D
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:55 pm

Hi,

In your training logg i saw some good endurance runns!!
that's good and we all need them!!! that's the base of a long distance run

for the speed there are some things you can do..

some intervals.. (it might not be really nice to do.. specially alone, but it seems to work)..

in my trainings logg there are some interval traings you can do. you can run slowly or walk in the breaks.. (a interval training does not have to be 50 minutes) what i did not put in my trainingslogg are a pretty long warming up (10/ 15 min slow run and 15 minutes exersices.. )

an other thing you can do is change the speed when you run.. start extreamly relaxed and after 8 minutes try to get to a higher speed for a few minutes.. you can go back to your old speed and try it again when you feel ok.. sprints are not nessesary just a litle speed diference.

good luck!!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi Runner!

Thanks for your reply!

I have been doing farlek training, intervals and long hills as well as higher paced tempo runs to try and improve my speed. Maybe im just too impatient - especially as i am still trying to keep lifting decent weights as well as run and it really hasnt been that long since i started training properly.
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:25 pm

guess it could be difernt in one month..

unfortunatly some things take time...

i've that problem with my abbs, arms,....

variation is a good way to keep it fun and to work on both speed and enduranse

do you still enjoy it all?

that's rule nr 1
runner

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:47 pm

[quote]do you still enjoy it all?

that's rule nr 1

Oh yeah, totally agree! I've run since i was 19 on and off, but had to stop for a bit earlier in the year because i was quite ill. I am really loving it again now, its so much easier when you are fit enough to be able to run at an easy pace for a decent distance and take in the scenery rather than worrying about being knackard! Im sure more people would love running if they perserved with it a bit more, or took it a bit easier to start with.
littlegirlbunny

Postby andyO » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:18 pm

I agree once you have a base level of fitness there - it is so nice to go for a long easy run through the countryside and enjoy being active and outside taking in the scenery.

Re gaining speed, I reckon intervals on the track are great for that. Do you have a running club nearby you littlegirlbunny? Personally I find intervals much easier in a group as you have a bit of mutual encouragement to finish all the intervals and keep the pace up to stay with your training partner. In the absence of a track intervals in a park or quiet road are just as good.
andyO

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:34 pm

[quote]Re gaining speed, I reckon intervals on the track are great for that. Do you have a running club nearby you littlegirlbunny? Personally I find intervals much easier in a group as you have a bit of mutual encouragement to finish all the intervals and keep the pace up to stay with your training partner. In the absence of a track intervals in a park or quiet road are just as good.

Thanks for the suggestions. Trouble is i live in a tiny village and would have to drive to get to a club and i am probably 20 miles from the nearest track :( . Also chances of me running in the evening are about zero (my body will not do CV in the evening, even if i try and make it!) I used to run on a track at uni though, it is the best place by far to do intervals if you are near one.
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 pm

my wednesday trainings manly interval are in a forest.. a group can be a stimulanse, but only when you've got more or less the same speed..

when people run to slow / fast it's not so nice..

without a group you need a litle more will power .. but some people like it to do intervals so i don't know how this works with you..

when you do it on the same spot you can measure your improvements over the months..
runner

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:24 pm

I'm trying to build up my speed also. I've been building up my endurance to do a half marathon and now I know I can comfortably do it I want to increase my speed. I've been doing interval training, an occasional hill run to build up the calves (I read somewhere that hill running can increase speed). I've recently cut much of my weight training out to concentrate on my running for a few months. I'm not the biggest guy but I feel going a bit leaner and spending more time running may help in the short term.
If animals believed in God, then humanity would be the devil.
Barry

Return to Vegan Runners