running plan

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

running plan

Postby bronco » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:06 am

I'm thinking some sort of plan/training program to prepare for the 10k Amsterdam could be nice. Currently my running usually goes something like this:
tuesday: 7km asphalt moderate speed maybe
friday: 20min light jogging, 10 hill sprints
sunday: 8.7km quite low tempo
Any suggestions to improve this?

Some ideas from myself would be:
increase length on sunday somewhat, the more I think about it the better this idea seems :D
on friday, maybe vary with some longer intervals and fartlek?
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby runner » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:51 am

first rule
it should be fun !!!

other do you like it to be the same, because it could be nice to change your routine from week to week..

for 3 trainings for the 10k
day 1: interval up to 5 ore 6 times
(1km at 10k race speed 1 minute break) depending on your target. you can do the same thing with intervals of 2km

day 2: your hill sprints are ok and in combination with the 20 min run i would not change it to much.. but be carefull not to force yourself into a distruction mode..

day 3: longer run 10/ 12k ocationatly up to 15 once every 4 weeks

you can add 20 minute trainings and excersices for your abbs back, hips and leggs when you have time and want to train more..
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby andyO » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:06 pm

There are some 10K training schedules here:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=84
andyO

Postby bronco » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 pm

[quote="runner"]first rule
it should be fun !!!

I'll try to keep having fun :D.

[quote]
other do you like it to be the same, because it could be nice to change your routine from week to week..

Well I am a habit kind of guy but variation is also good so it's either way for me. I'm just after some rought guidelines. Would some variation (ex varying between 1km and 2km intervals) be usefull?

[quote]
day 1: interval up to 5 ore 6 times
(1km at 10k race speed 1 minute break) depending on your target. you can do the same thing with intervals of 2km

Okay so some longer intervals here, sounds like a good idea.

[quote]
day 2: your hill sprints are ok and in combination with the 20 min run i would not change it to much.. but be carefull not to force yourself into a distruction mode..

By distruction mode you mean running till I puke or what :D ? Little risk of that I would say. Anyway, what kind of tempo would be apropriate for the 20 min jog before the sprints? Low, moderate, high even?

[quote]
day 3: longer run 10/ 12k ocationatly up to 15 once every 4 weeks

OK, I'll spend some more time in the Prater then :D.

[quote]
you can add 20 minute trainings and excersices for your abbs back, hips and leggs when you have time and want to train more..
I allready do strength training on other days, should be enough I think.

Otherwise, how usefull would a shorter (~5km) high speed run every now and then be?

To sum it up and see if I've understood it correctly, you're suggestion is I have one day with long intervals, one day with shorter intervalls and one day with a long run?

Would it be usefull to add a foruth day of running every week? What kind of running would then be appropriate?

[quote="shamen_x"]There are some 10K training schedules here:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=84
Thanks, seems good but maybe a bit too detailed for me :).

/Gustav
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby runner » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:56 pm

[quote]I'll try to keep having fun

that's the most importand thing!!

[quote]other do you like it to be the same, because it could be nice to change your routine from week to week..

for 2 reasons one is that you can build up like a 3 ore 4 week routine with more km every week and than start over at the 2nd week so you go back but not to week 1.. it's to build up and to have a litle diferent trainings every week..

[quote]Well I am a habit kind of guy but variation is also good so it's either way for me. I'm just after some rought guidelines. Would some variation (ex varying between 1km and 2km intervals) be usefull?

yes you can do in the first week 1k intervals in the second 2k and in a 3th week 1 and 2k intervals mixed... other posibilities are a piramide..
start with 1minute than 2 minutes up to 6 and than down.. you can train on time distance ore a combination..

[quote]By distruction mode you mean running till I puke or what ? Little risk of that I would say. Anyway, what kind of tempo would be apropriate for the 20 min jog before the sprints? Low, moderate, high even?

i ment your leggs but the rest off your body counts as well.. a training should not be to extreme

[quote]I allready do strength training on other days, should be enough I think. thats fine than you can leave it to that..

a high speed run from 5 k can be good, when you fit it into your routine.. change your other training activities and don't do this to much..

[quote]To sum it up and see if I've understood it correctly, you're suggestion is I have one day with long intervals, one day with shorter intervalls and one day with a long run? yes that's a good summery

[quote]Would it be usefull to add a foruth day of running every week? What kind of running would then be appropriate? if you are doing fine (no injuries , tired body,....) you can add a 4th training, but for how long do you train 3 times a week? if you are just started i would leave it with 3 if you are ready you can add a 4th training.. you can also do a 4th training in specific weeks..
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby bronco » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:24 pm

[quote="runner"][quote]
for 2 reasons one is that you can build up like a 3 ore 4 week routine with more km every week and than start over at the 2nd week so you go back but not to week 1.. it's to build up and to have a litle diferent trainings every week..

OK, so maybe on the long run I could do 8.6km the first week, and then 10, 12 and 14 km? And then the 5th week go back down to 10k or so?

And the long intervals I could vary between 1k , 2k or a mix thereof, or should I let them progress for the 4-week cycle something like 1k, 1.5k, 2k, 2.5k? Or would it be more usefull to change the total distance by a combination of varying the interval length and the number of intervals?

[quote]
[quote]Would it be usefull to add a foruth day of running every week? What kind of running would then be appropriate?
if you are doing fine (no injuries , tired body,....) you can add a 4th training, but for how long do you train 3 times a week? if you are just started i would leave it with 3 if you are ready you can add a 4th training.. you can also do a 4th training in specific weeks..

I haven't been running 3 times a week for more than maybe 5 weeks, so I'll stick to it I think.

Thanks for your help :D!

/Gustav

bronco
Site Admin

Postby Tarz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:08 pm

Definately get some longer ( than 10k ) runs in.

Vary the speed/time you do when training the same distance - and vary the distance when running for the same length of time/and or speed. Therefore you are training at different intensity.

Find some nice running routes - running is much more enjoyable when you are somewhere scenic. Not always possible though depending on location.

Alter your running routes if possible - different gradients, camber's etc.
Tarz

Postby andyO » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Indeed most important thing is always to have fun!

I'd also agree that it's good to have run further than your race distance (unless it's a marathon!) before the race. Just so you're not into unkown teritory during the event.
andyO

Postby bronco » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:33 am

[quote="Tarz"]Definately get some longer ( than 10k ) runs in.

Will do :D!

[quote]
Vary the speed/time you do when training the same distance - and vary the distance when running for the same length of time/and or speed. Therefore you are training at different intensity.

I think this is good advice for me, being a habit kind of guy I can't get this advice to many times I think :).

[quote]
Find some nice running routes - running is much more enjoyable when you are somewhere scenic. Not always possible though depending on location.

I have found only two at the moment, and I have to take the subway to them :(.

[quote]
Alter your running routes if possible - different gradients, camber's etc.

I shall try to do this as well.

bronco
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:23 pm

Try running the same route, but the opposite way. It may sound stupid, but it does work to give variety to your training.
littlegirlbunny

Postby bronco » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:42 pm

[quote="littlegirlbunny"]Try running the same route, but the opposite way. It may sound stupid, but it does work to give variety to your training.

Hmm, my routes are mostly of the 'A->B->A' type, and I do like to end up at home after I've finished :D. But I guess maybe I could come up with a more circular route for my asphalt day. When I used to run a lot back in Uppsala I used this approach actually, varying direction everytime, quite nice it was :).

bronco
Site Admin

Postby Tarz » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:01 pm

Another possibility is to get changed at a leisure centre or gym and go running from there if that gives you more options for running. Though of course that means you will not finish your run at home.

Too bad there is nowhere scenic close to home for you. I am lucky that whilst living in London, I live close to protected green-belt land ( basically countryside ) so I am able to go on nice long runs over trails in woods, fields and by streams. Much more enjoyable than plodding along the roads, especailly at this time of year. I see ducks, rabbits, foxes, horses and cows. I don't mind road-running, ( which I have to do to get to the trails anyhow and also in the darker months of the year ) although London is not the best for this for obvious reasons such as volume of traffic and pollution levels.

Another option is to use treadmills. I wouldn't recommend just using treadmills, but it would maybe be useful to run on one once a week or so. Personally I don't like 'em - much prefer to be out in the fresh air, but they can be useful.
Tarz

Return to Vegan Runners