interval training

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

interval training

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:39 pm

I can jog for ages at a nice steady plod up and down steep long hills and on the flat - but I want to be faster for the Bristol half marathon. I have heard interval training is best for that... so how should I do it?

Today I forced myself out for an early morning run for the first time in AGES and it was my usual but slightly faster than normal pace up and over a hill and down the other side - some fast running for 20s and normal pace for 20s intervals on the flat; another steeper but shorter hill back at normal pace and then along the seafront and through town i did regular equal distances of run fast and normal pace... is this the right way to go about it?? Also what about doing things like sprint, do some push ups or situps and then sprint across again etc etc etc for a set amouunt of time....
Fruitbat

Postby runner » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:50 pm

Interval is a good way to improve your speed. it's not a replacement of your normal routine, but you can do it 2 ore 3 times a week depending on how often you train. For a half marathon you need your long runns as well. I would recoment to do intervals of 3, 4 and 5 minutes..

You can do something like (after warming up).. 3 min on 80% 1 minute dribbel 4 minutes 80% 1,5 minute dribbel, 5 minutes 80% 2 minutes dribbel, 4 minutes 80% 1,5 minute dribbel, 3 min on 85% 1 minute

how long do you run? Does this sound to long?

also importand is to change longer and shorter intervals. also in a regular routine you can try to run 1 k faster than one a litle more relaxed,...

if you're interested in some special schedule let me know.

btw,

skinny whipet will send me a vegan runners aplication form.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby ultra_whippet » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:59 pm

I reckon for a half-marathon intervals of anything between 800m and 1 mile are about right. If you're not able to measure distances on your run then you'll have to do it by time. You should aim for a consistent speed over each interval, but on the last one you should feel like you couldn't do another one. As runner says it's important to try and stay relaxed when you're doing the fast bits.
I've personally used 4x1k with 600m recovery or 4x1mile with 2min recovery.
ultra_whippet

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:26 pm

[quote="runner"]

how long do you run? Does this sound to long?

when i force myself out i run 50mins to 2.5hours so time is not an issue as long as i can make myself go out! once out i like it but its the getting out there i find hard LOL.

So not short intervals but relatively long intervals of time and/or space are best then... so i guess what i did this morning was pretty pointless :lol:

thanks guys - all the help and advice and wisdome u got is welcome!

i usually only go running 1-3 times a week (though for about 4 weeks i havent been out at all :oops: but thats partly due to a twisted ankle and off to Lake District and VF week... well thats my excuse and i am sticking to it :lol: )
Fruitbat

Postby runner » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:51 pm

hi Fruibat

(i always think that i should write fruitbath, but that's just me i guess)

It's not pointless, but better for shorter distances..

if you want to run a half marathon i think 3 times is okay. One time is a litle bit :? ... With 2 times you'll make it as well. Don't force just on hours and hours quality is more important. 2,5 hours is a litle long if you ask me. it's more something for a marathon.. I think your long runs can be up to 90 minutes ocasionaly 2 hours (not nessesary).

if you can i would say one interval and two longer runns. interval on a speed you can hold for 5 ore 10 km. (i think 3 / 7 mile).. and the breaks slow drible. you can play a bit with the intervals. between 1 and 6 minutes is good. i would say the intervals including break should last for 25 up to 45 minutes... but don't force yourself if you don't feel good. if you do feel good be carefull as well!!!!!! 9always warming up, coolingdown and streching (some people say it's not nessesary, but i think it is..)

Don't run with a brace ore things like that (you should only use it when you are in the olympics and you need to run..)...
runner

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:01 pm

thanks for some really good input there runner

i will try to follow your suggestions. i assume the interval runs should be done on the flat or only with slight terrain variations? thats a bit of a problem here unless i just go up and down the seafront. i go for long runs because i enjoy the scenery but it takes in alot of hills :lol:

I will try to do 1 interval run and 1 long run a week - though i am a fair-weather runner and the weather is terrible at the moment and I have graduation and a trip to my Mum and dad coming up so training may go badly for a while. Having said that - I should use my time at home to do interval training as it is very flat and boring around there so it could be fun do so something different.

cheers
Fruity (if you cant handle "Fruitbat" - dunno where you get "bath" from :lol: )
Fruitbat

Postby runner » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:01 pm

Fruitbat,

if there are a lot of hills you can also do something else. You run slowly one minute down and try to get up in the next minute. In the "wannabe forest" near amsterdam we've got one hill and we do this sometimes (not every week) there are diferent ways up so we can do six of them.. .. depending on the stifness you can go realy slow down ore just let yourself roll (run without breaking) down.. and then come up. so you've to fight a bit up.. It's not borring but hard sometimes..

good luck..

let me know how things go. My half marathon was also with 2 ore 3 trainings so i should not ask you to do some extream routine.. 2 times is cool..

just keep your goal in mind.. and don't forget that running is fun :)
runner

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:03 pm

yeah the running is fun bit is the bit i struggle with :lol:
Fruitbat

Postby littlegirlbunny » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:13 pm

[quote]yeah the running is fun bit is the bit i struggle with

:lol:
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby runner » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:56 am

fruitbat,

you will feel so good at the finish :wink:
runner

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:03 am

there are 13miles before the finish though - its not the race i mind - its the training LOL :lol:
Fruitbat

Postby runner » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:12 am

When you keep your goal in mind the training could be not to bad. All steps you set today will help you at the race.. when i trained for the half marathon i also trained alone. it might be an idea to find other people who can stimulate you. but be aware to run with people with the same speed..

when you run in the morning it might feel better. you know you've already done something.. and you can get energy from it.
runner

Postby littlegirlbunny » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:26 am

[quote]When you keep your goal in mind the training could be not to bad. All steps you set today will help you at the race..

Ok runner - you've motivated me (i've been avoiding running since 7 am this morning!)

Im off to get my trainers................
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am

running in the mornings is the best time for me but even then it can be a real effort! the weather and a slight cold dont help at the moment so for now i stay cozy in bed until pool-time!
Fruitbat

Postby runner » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:56 am

littlegirlbunny
that's the spirit.

unfortunatly my group trainings are monday wednesday and sathurday evening.. but most of my own trainings are in the mornings.
in summer it's much more easy to run at 7/ 8/ 9 but when i have a goal the only hard thing is to stand up.. than.. when i come back i feel good.. also with a half training..

when i meet with a friend i have to wake up.. only not everybody likes to wake up early :)

in barcelona two years ago i had to run at 7 because of the sun ;)
runner

Next

Return to Vegan Runners