heel pain after runs

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

heel pain after runs

Postby angryduck » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:49 am

During the year at school, I'd been doing short runs and using elipticals for like half an hour at a time. Just recently, I started running five miles every other day on my own, with running shoes, and recently I've noticed that the next morning, my right heel feels a little strange.
It doesn't hurt so much, as I feel it sort of, pops? I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned with, as it only seems like it happens if I walk up or down stairs the first hour after I wake up, the day after a run.
Has anyone experienced anything similiar?
angryduck

Postby runner » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:27 am

Do you use running socks?

Do you run fast? What kind of pace.. the one you can do for 1 hour?
It's always good not to run to fast in training and to build up slowly..

what do you run on? street? grass,....?
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby angryduck » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:17 pm

i just use normal white socks, so i dont know if they constitute as running socks. i run on a bike path, which is paved asphalt.
it usually takes me about an hour to run all five miles, including a 5 minute walk break when i turn around, so i think more of a steady pace than fast...i like to run almost all of it.
angryduck

Postby runner » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:02 pm

it's about geting expensive socks but the soks I use have no stiches and these are pretty nice.

If you've got the posibility to run ofroad as well that would be good as well..

The speed does not look like the problem. what you can do if it does not get better is to do run walk run (2min 1 min,...) you can make variations on this... this way you can slowly build up some resistance..

if nothing works I would go to a fisio (but be aware it's one that knows something about sports.. others just tell everybody to stop... that does not solve your problem, but works for the short run)

my computer screen just turns bad, i can hardly see anything..
runner

Postby floraluna » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:25 pm

hi angryduck,

It sounds like this is internal, whatever is going on with your heel, so I def. wouldn't worry about the socks for now.
Can you describe where in your heel this feeling is, and where the popping feeling comes from? Is it more around the lower part of your ankle, or in the back of your foot, a little above the heel, or is it truly on the bottom or lower side of your heel?

How do you feel about the fit of your shoes? How long have you had them?

floraluna
Wishing you a happy, healthy and peaceful day!
floraluna

Postby angryduck » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:30 am

first off, i wanna say thank you guys for helping me out with this.
floraluna, i've had these shoes since may of this year, so they're pretty new. i didn't go to a store or anything where they might have measured my feet and see how i walk, if thats what they do. i bought New Balance men's running shoes through www.veganstore.com , seeing as how they would be the only vegan footwear suitable for running that i could find, (before, i'd run a few times in some vision canvas shoes, which gave me blisters real bad on my feet.) the shoes themselves fit great, my feet feel extremely cushioned and supported when im wearing them.
as far as the actual problem, its literally where my heel is, so between my ankles on my right foot, for some reason only my right foot. its hard to explain the feeling, it feels like it gets real tense when i walk up or down stairs the morning after a run, and then sort of pops back into place before the next step, and then another popping feeling. it almost feels like a click or something. a couple hours after i wake up, my heel feels fine, and i dont have that same tension.
(thats not really my foot, i just googled a foot and added the crude drawing to help get the picture. :P )
Tofu for life.
angryduck

Postby floraluna » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:59 pm

hi angryduck,

From how you have described your heel pain, I have two initial ideas of what it could be. Here's a quick description of each, you should google them and read up on the symptoms and location of the pain to see if you think one of these could be what's bothering you. Apologies if you have already explored these possibilities:

Plantar fascitis (PF): quite common in runners, especially when increasing mileage suddenly or quickly, tends to hurt in the morning and then go away as the day progresses, can cause a "popping" feeling, etc. I've had fleeting PF symptoms, but never bad.

Achilles tendonitis: Something I dealt with when I went from running on smoother, flatter trails to on steeper, mountain trails (and always starting out runs going up), with shoes that ultimately didn't support my feet right for running. My pain was on either side of my achilles tendon, which runs down that back of your ankle to your heel, mine ached and felt tight and almost *felt* like it was weakened and could get pulled or strained if I weren't super careful.

Any questions? Good luck!

floraluna
Wishing you a happy, healthy and peaceful day!
floraluna

Postby angryduck » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:44 am

thanks, it sounds to me like it may be more like PF.
after looking it up, they suggested stretching my calfs more, so ill try that out, hopefully that should help.
thanks for all the help!
Tofu for life.
angryduck

Postby runner » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:25 am

yesthurday I saw this in a magazin (runnerswordl. I don't know if this could help with your problem..

www.thesock.com
runner

Return to Vegan Runners