Tough Guy races

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Tough Guy races

Postby Barry » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:53 am

Hi

A friend and I have entered July's Tough Guy race. Is anyone or has anyone from this forum ever ran in one and what's the experience like? Despite the macho name and the militaristic overtones it does look like great fun.

For those who've never heard of it, the race is a run through the countryside with difficult terrain (through rivers and undergrowth and up steep hills etc) and then there is an assault course at the end that looks extremely challenging.

I have to admit that my target is to finish! The farm on which the course is set is a horse sanctuary for the rest of the year and they ask that anyone who gets sponsorship for running the race donates half to the sanctuary which is cool.

Assuming I get through it in one piece I'm considering getting a team together for January's race; a team from here would be pretty cool I think.

Anyway, there website is www.toughguy.co.uk if anyone is interested.
If animals believed in God, then humanity would be the devil.
Barry

Postby ultra_whippet » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:30 pm

Never tried it, but it does sound like a lot of fun..... you could check out the forums at www.runnersworld.co.uk to see what people think of it.
ultra_whippet

Postby V VII Hero » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:46 am

dude, that sounds like my kidna race.

I suck at running now and rarely ever do it. but here in PA we have aboulder field I like to run full speed on. and sometimes when I go hiking I like to run throught the woods.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby runner » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:41 am

I think my trainer would kill me if i would do that race.. I cannot find how long the race is (looks like a half marathon ore something like that?)

I'ld like to do a 10 k ore 5 mile race in the uk ore some other country close by (northern france, belgium, westhern germany) later this year, I guess after summer. . Would be cool to meet some other people as well.. also because i will miss everything this month :(

good luck if you do this race, would be better to do the july than the january race. here is something less dificult, but also with wather, but they run more ore less trough the sh*t (sorry for my words :)

because it's in a agriculture part.. I never did it.. not to big fan of this.. I like a challange, but yeah,....
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Barry » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:19 pm

To be honest there was lot of bravado with my friend so we convinced each other! The fact I'm not sure how far the course is just makes me more intrigued. The other thing is that I'm used to road running so it would make a change to get out into the country.
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:43 am

I completed the race on Sunday and it was a brilliant experience. The length of the race varies from year to year - I believe the 'warm-up' run was about 8 miles this year although it felt a little shorter. There is a steep hill you have to run up and down something like 9 times which is a killer for many but I loved it. Another plus is that there are many paths through the undergrowth and you can choose your own path and it's great crashing through the countryside. I started nearer the back and as a consequence there were quite a few bottlenecks but I saw these as 'rest periods'. There are a few cargo nets to crawl under and ditches to go through which acclimatise you to the asault course later - I ended up getting my foot caught in one of the nets and going head first into the ditch just about keeping my head up whilst another competitor tried to untie me. A huge plus about the race is that although quite a few are competitive there are competitors lending a hand everywhere - if you need a leg up or a hand there is usually a fellow Tough Guy to help out. I'll post more about the assualt course later after work.
Barry

Postby runner » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:53 am

Well done Barry!!!

Sounds like lots off fun!! and some pain..

do you've got pictures? results (finishing can be more importand i guess)?
runner

Postby JP » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:58 am

well done Barry! Good vegan power display there :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:03 pm

There are a few pictures of the day on their website and in time they aim to put photos of every competitor on the website. I finished in 1370th place (provisional lol) in 3hrs 56mins 10 secs. About 2350 competitors took part and around 80% finished. I would have liked to have done it faster but as I said in my original post I was delighted to finish it. I was also chuffed that I did the full two laps of the assault course, some of the stragglers got to skip a few obstacles due to time constraints.

The assault course was hell on earth but also an amazing experience. It had it all, leaping through fire, swimming through underwater tunnels, an awful lot of climbing and an awful lot of crawling. I was dreading the underwater tunnels but they were fine. I thought the barbed wire would be easy but the mud is mixing with gravel and stone and it played hell with my knees. At one point near the finish I had cramp in both legs, experienced vertigo and felt sick - all this on top of an A-Frame with nowhere but down to go! I also 're-learnt' how to swim. I hadn't been near a swimming pool since I was about 14 and as a consequence had forgotten to swim. At one point I had to walk a plank (about 15 feet high) and leap off into a lake. They claimed the water was only 5 feet deep but it was deeper than that. After a struggle one of the safety divers asked me if I was okay and I was about to ask for help when I suddenly started to swim. If anything I will take that from the day. The day brings out so many emotions - fear to excitement, one minute you're joking with a fellow Tough Guy / Goy then the next you're digging in for your fourrth or fifth wind. You have to be fit to do it but mental toughness is important also. I could write so much about this day and bore you all to death but I'll leave it there. I'd definitely recommend it and will definitely be doing the January event. You will get wet, you will get muddy (very), you will be sore - you will have a great day.
Barry

Postby runner » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:38 pm

it's nice to read! don't stop because you think it will be borring..

am i right when i say that the race is swimming and running with obstacles..

about 15 miles ? up and down..
runner

Postby Barry » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:06 am

Actually there is very little swimming in the race, about 20 metres here and there and a longer swim. It's mostly running. There are two laps of the obstacle course after the run.
Barry

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:32 pm

I was going to go in for it last year, but changed my mind, because I found out the sanctuary breeds animals for sale, and I didn't want to give him my money. Must admit though, it is a good thing for a vegan to do - did you wear a vegan shirt?

The January event is much tougher, as it is colder. A friend of mine who has done it (also vegan) tells me that you really REALLY need to stretch and warm up.

Well done!
Mary

Return to Vegan Runners