Running with Dogs

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running with Dogs

Postby littlegirlbunny » Fri May 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Has anyone got any advice on running with dogs? Because i now have two, but i am so worried i might end up making them do something they dont want to, or over train them. They always seem to enjoy the morning runs so far, but at the moment i am hardly at peak fitness so it isnt exactly hard work. How quickly should you increase the pace? Im not planning to do a 'skinny whippet' amazing 10k or anything!, but would like to increase the pace and duration (hopefully back to an hour 3 times per week - is that too much?). I am not focusing on big time running training, weights is definately my number 1 love, but i do need a little more cardio fitness.

Oh, by they way, they are a border-terrier cross, and a border-alsation cross (im not trying to drag round two yorkies or anything!)

Any advice would be throughly appreciated - thanks!
littlegirlbunny

Postby michaelhobson » Fri May 06, 2005 3:56 pm

Sorry Bunny, don't know much about it myself, but these look like a good articles.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... ndogs.html
http://www.thepetprofessor.com/secArtic ... h_dogs.asp

Seems the most important point is that dogs don't sweat and can easily overhead on a long run.
michaelhobson

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sun May 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Thanks for those articles - they are really informative. I think i have made the decision not to incorporate the dogs into the training plan, but will continue to run with them occasionally early morning on easy runs.
littlegirlbunny

Postby evilpoekie » Mon May 16, 2005 3:15 pm

Hi littlegirlbunny,
Those articles are indeed very informative. I doubt the risk of overtraining your dogs by running with them though, provided they are healthy and not of a breed that has trouble walking in the first place (bassets, etc.). Four-footers walk and run much more efficiently than we do.
I wouldn't be so concerned about that and just look if they are enjoying themselves when you increase the pace. Each dog is different; some will love it and some won't, although they will follow you of course.
I tried running with my dog (fox terrier cross) once and he made it very clear that I would run alone next time:P he just loves to wander and spends 15 min analyzing a certain bush sometimes. While we were jogging (very slowly really) he was constantly looking at me, saying: can we slow down now, I smelled something interesting and want to go and check it out! well, fine by me; it's just not his thing.
A friend of mine has a 2 yr old Whippet cross and she cycles with him sometimes; he loves it. But last week she told me they have been yelled at by several ppl, accusing her of animal abuse and stopped by a cop who claimed cycling with your dog is against the law (Belgium) on grounds of both animal rights and traffic violations. What do you think about this? Obviously it's not a very safe thing to do in a busy street, and dragging a Yorkshire around on your bike is clearly animal abuse, but this law is ridiculous imho.
Good luck and have fun with your doggies :)
evilpoekie

Postby littlegirlbunny » Mon May 16, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi evilpoekie!

Thanks for your response. I am continuing to run with the dogs on very easy runs, and also off road (and off lead) where possible, but to be honest i am having doubts about undertaking a major running plan myself now anyway! :wink:

With reference to cycling with dogs:

I know a couple of people who do this, and, although i dont see it as cruel, (as long as the dog is enjoying themselves) i do worry about the risks involved - dogs getting tangled up in wheels etc. But then im probably just being paranoid. I wouldnt do it personally though!
littlegirlbunny

Postby genevieve » Fri May 20, 2005 2:31 am

I first started running with my German Shepperd when she was about 4 years old and she would keep up pretty good. She is 9 now and recently has developed a limp in her back legs after running and just playing around with us. Her doctor says is onset of arthritis common in her breed. So I have stopped, which is heartening as we loved running together. She gets so excited when she sees me putting on my runners and sad when I dont take her.

I think running with healthy dogs is ok and as she is physically healthly and is happy then you shouldnt stop. Youll know when its too much for them as they slow down and look tired.
genevieve

Postby Cynthia Blue » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:07 pm

I started running with my dogs last October because I couldn't keep up with them in the agility ring. :) I have big dogs, though, a smooth collie and a border collie.

The BC, Chase, will plaster himself at the door whenever the leashes are out, and he is very disappointed when I take the collie, Levi, instead. :)

I started with them right off the bat (well, with Levi anyway, Chase was too young when I started but he has more endurance and energy than Levi anyway). And when I worked up distance and speed, they worked up with me. I think it works realy well. I can take them 4 miles each now. I could probably take Chase longer, since he's a wacky BC and can just go and go and go.

I took Lucy, my female smooth collie, once... only once. LOL. She likes to stop and smell the flowers too. And everything else. So she and my other girl just go on slow walks. :)

I've even done a couple 5ks with my dogs, and have seen other runners with dogs. I love it, and feel awkward and vulnerable when I go by myself, if my dogs are having an off day or it's too hot.
Cynthia Blue

bike dogs

Postby chloe » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:22 pm

My dog is a bike dog!!!,I think thats just about an official term here, she goes with me with the bike at least once everyday, including with the bike to the forest where we run together,..... everyday. I think its totally reasonable that a dog can be expected to run with us and with a bike, in the right conditions, plus right dog etc, of course,...we usually go just fast enough that shes ambling, not running, though i see other people take there dogs at a running pace with the bike aswell.
I waited until she was older than a year and started slowly. She took to it like a duck to water and i think she prefers going with the bike than going at my slow walk pace.!
chloe

Postby heatherhorton » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 pm

My parents are going to be getting a doberman and I simply can't wait to take her for runs! I know very little about dogs (always had cats), but love all animals. I presume Dobes are fine to run with ? I don't run very far during runs (4.5 miles or so).
heatherhorton

Postby Gelert » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:17 pm

I am hoping that the Cocker Spaniel that my family have recently adopted will grow up to be a better runner than me (not a massive challenge for her, but I dunno :lol: ) Her legs are definitely far too short now, as a puppy.

Ah, thinking about that reminds me of the resuced Border Collie/Springer Spaniel cross I grew up with, my "sister", and how we used to run. I might have tired her out, but heck she would cripple me :lol:

I miss her still, just short of eighteen months since we had to make the hardest decision :cry:

So Heather, treasure the time with the dobe'. Dog years are far too short.

Dewy eyed moment over.
Gelert

dogs are born to run

Postby chloe » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:07 pm

Hey Heather Dobermanns are great to take running , they're such sporty capable dogs ,my dog Olive is a dobermann cross and she does ten kms running with me everyday, and then often a seven km walk in the evenings aswell. and god forbid we should miss a day shes just unbearable!! I tend to leave her at home for anything longer than my ten km loop, and its always in the forest which is obviously a lot softer than the roads, and theres a river she drinks from. The running slash dog conditions here are perfect!
I also asked our vet about running with her, and he said no problem, except make sure shes finished growing, so he suggested 13-15 months old.
chloe

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:27 pm

LGB, seeing your 2 running round with Kiera the otehr week, I'm sure you don't need to worry at all about them getting over tired; they ran at least 4 times the distance we walked, and still had enough energy for a play and run round when we got back to yours :roll: :lol:

When I still lived in Holland, and our oldie Pluis wasn't such an oldie yet, he used to go nearly everywhere with me, trotting next to my bike (on lead) in proper Dutch fashion :) We never had any accidents - apart from me being nearly pulled off my bike backwards when he'd suddenly put on the brakes to sniff a tree or what have ya :shock: - which was pretty amazing, considering that I'd take him into town with me and my bike didn't have the best of brakes on it! Pluis was very savvy tho, and not scared of anything. I wouldn't want to try it with either Mal or Kiera tho, not least because we're living in Manchester, which is a big, busy city, with lots of very fast, impatient traffic. There's a guy who lives close to me and he does take his dog everywhere, following him on his bike off lead! :shock: :x :x It pisses me off no end every time I see them, because I think it's totally irresponsible - the poor dog seems savvy enough, but still it's a massive risk with all the traffic about. :(
Malcolms Billy

Postby pazios2002 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:13 pm

dogs do not continually run for an hour. they basically only sweat from there feet. All dogs stop when they need to, if you ask them to follow you they will until they die. dont ask them.
Thankyou and good day
pazios2002

Return to Vegan Runners