Jogging - Building Endurance

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Jogging - Building Endurance

Postby aapljack » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:30 pm

I have been jogging for cardio exercise for the last few months. I normallly go for a 2.5 mile jog on days when I don't go to the gym. However, I haven't been consistently getting out and maybe only go once or twice a week.

Even after a few months of jogging this distance, I still have a hard time making it the whole way without slowing to a walk in the middle. I want to be able to jog the whole distance and add more, at some point.

I am wondering if I am sabatoging my progress because when I go to the gym to lift, I warm up on the treadmill and jog for 7mins. I do this probably 3-4 times a week consistently. I am wondering if this is training my body to only keep up the jogging for that amount of time and maybe I should just warm up with a brisk walk on the treadmill?

If this shouldn't be effecting my endurance, what can I do to help build my endurance to do longer runs?

One more thing, I seem to be able to run longer when I do so on the treadmill. Are treadmills usually easier than actually running?

-brian
aapljack

Re: Jogging - Building Endurance

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:21 pm

[quote="aapljack"]
One more thing, I seem to be able to run longer when I do so on the treadmill. Are treadmills usually easier than actually running?

A bit, I think the usual advice is to add 1 degree gradient to compensate.

As for building endurance, you could always try the run/walk technique - so run for maybe 5 minutes, walk for 1, and repeat. Don't wait until you're really knackered before you do the walking. You're aiming for the maximum amount of time on your feet, so speed is really not important in this case. Good luck!
ultra_whippet

Postby stateofflux » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:43 pm

I realised just how, well, I guess I could say close to useless my treadmill running has been when I ran outdoors in Finland this past week. I was completely wasted and breathless after a 20 minute outdoor run, whereas I can run on the treadmill comfortably for at least 35 minutes even with a 1 gradient.

I did discover that I really love running in the woods (that's considered trail, right?) more than road or treadmill running, and somehow the trail runnig seemed MUCH easier :?: Anyone else find that?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby runner » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi

the walk run advise is a good way to increase your distance, speed condition... I would start with a smaller amount just 2 minutes run 30 seconds walk.. etc.. try to change one time some thing an other time some thing else . you can also do a piramide 1 minute 2 minutes 3 m 4m 5m 4m 3m 2m 1m all with half the distance as a walking break..

don't forget to have fun
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby aapljack » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:05 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I will try the run/walk method and I really like the idea of the pyramid system. Great idea!

Rochelle - I think trail running is probably easier than treadmill because you are out in nature and have more to consider than you do on a treadmill. You are watching your path, the scenery around you, other people, etc. On the treadmill you are only concerned with HOW MUCH LONGER! heh. The runs I enjoy the most are when I go out to a local lake with alot of nature trails.
aapljack

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:57 am

Heya - if you feel like you gotta stop, might be you're just pushing yourself too hard..maybe try easing up a bit.. A heartrate monitor is really hand for this.
Dave Noisy

Postby runner » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:54 am

If you've got a heartrate monitor you can use it, but i would not buy one if you're just starting.. what makes you stop is it your legs feeth, some other part of your body, condition.. '

an other thing might be to warm up before .. do some 5/ 10 minutes relaxed (you should be able to talk normaly at this speed. Than some streching and start. do'n go to fast.. also before an interval i would do some warm up and cooling down ..
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Matt Norwood » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:44 am

brian,

When I starting training for marathons in the mid-1990's I found that lifting killed my ability to run effectively. I started by taking a few weeks off just getting my running strength, form and endurance going before I hit the gym again. Then I eased into the gym work, but never did much.

If your priority is to run, then I would ease off on the gym work until your body adapts. Running is one of the most intensive physical stresses we can put on the body and the pounding the body takes is enormous and not to be underestimated, even for slow jogs. For a couple years, something that really worked for me to get my longer runs going is "plodding"--more or less plopping one foot in front of the other and making it a game to see how "slow" I could run for as long as possible. A few days later, I was able to pick it up and really start working on form as my body adapted.

If you priority is the gym, you might consider moving to the exercise bike instead for the aerobic benefits until you are adapted to your running.
Matt Norwood

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:19 pm

Aye, running sucks it out of my legs completely..

The last couple weeks i've been doing fine at the track races, hanging in with the fast guys...but this week i got lapped in two races.....main difference is i've been running a lot the last week...the running drained me.

I agree completely with Matt - it's a super-intensive activity. Thank goodness the race is in a few days...can't wait to *not* have to run!!!! (So i can bike better!!!)
Dave Noisy

Return to Vegan Runners