Pain in the upper back while running

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Pain in the upper back while running

Postby bronco » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:40 pm

As i was out running today I noticed a slight ache in the upper back, by the traps aproximately . It feels like I somehow is to tight or tense in the area. I also remember having experienced this before when running. It's not a big problem (especially since I never run :D ) but it's a little annoying. Would any of you runner guys know what causes this and how to avoid it?
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby runner » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:06 am

hi bronco,

i've back problems now and than as well. are you walking and sitting straight? There are lots of exercises for your back. one is lying on your back and put your chest a litle up than put your arms quick up and slowly down (about 20 30 seconds). an other one standing on your tows and strech your arms to the sky and try to reach higher with your left and than with your right while keeping your other high as well.. on other one is to ly on the ground and put your left arm up and your right leg at the same time and than the opocide.. (like superman )

good luck.. I think it's better to work on your problem also when you don't run, because it can become bigger.. stopping ore not doing the sport only couvers the problem..
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby bronco » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:20 am

Thanks for your input :).
Well, I do have some back problems, but this problem when running I experienced long before I squatted my back out of order, so I don't think it's related. The running problem is higher up, more in the shoulder/back of the neck region. I'm thinking it might be some kind of running-technique problem.
It's not that bad and it doesn't feel like it should be harmfull, so maybe I'll just see if it goes away with some more running experience. Maybe I'll try some kind of stretching for this area.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Matt Norwood » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:33 am

bronco,

Interesting problem. Most runners I've heard that end up with back problems usually do it because they are bent over too far when running hills or sprints, but this primarily affects the lower back resulting in lower back spasms.

However, this still may be a related issue. Working on running form may help your pain. Generally, you want your upper body to stay relaxed while also remaining fairly perpendicular to the ground. You may even be inadvertently tightening your traps to keep your shoulders back; relax your shoulders a little and maybe that will help. Also, many inexperienced runners (that is, those who have never had someone to give feedback on form) will lean too far forward just because it feels more comfortable in the short term, but longer term it can tighten muscle groups more or worse, cause permanent back injury.

Try a Google search for "running form" and you will get quite a bit. This one may perhaps useful for you:

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/train-004.shtml
Matt Norwood

Postby bronco » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:47 am

Thanks! I looked at the link and it seemed usefulll. I will search some more and try to work on my form, even though i imagine this might be not so easy without someone wlse to critize it.

bronco
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Runners